Mercury vs. Liberty | The Boneyard

Mercury vs. Liberty

Status
Not open for further replies.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Phoenix looking really good tonight. This is the team that everyone expected to see all season long. If Phoenix keeps feeding the ball to BG they will move on to play Minny in the semis.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
BG with 17 points, 8 rebounds, 4 blocks and 3 assists in the first half. And my favorite stats, only one foul. She was embarrassed the last time she played against NY and you can see that she wants to get that bad taste out of her mouth.

Reaction Score
BG with 17 points, 8 rebounds, 4 blocks and 3 assists in the first half. And my favorite stats, only one foul. She was embarrassed the last time she played against NY and you can see that she wants to get that bad taste out of her mouth.
Oops now BG has 4 fouls. They're reviewing it for a possible flagrant.

No flagrant but 4 fouls will hurt her aggressiveness on defense.

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
Several times this year, I have noticed or posted about BG being way too passive. Since Rio, she has been a different player. Anyone agree?

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
This was every other team in the playoffs worst nightmare - that Phoenix would sneak into the playoffs and then start playing like they should have from the start of the season. NY is not the same team that started the season either, even with Kiah limping back.

Reaction Score
Mercury win 101-94

BG played great (22/10), Penny played great (20/5), Bonner (6/4, 3 steals) and Dupree (14/5) played like the seasoned pros they are, and DT (30) took over the game when it mattered and refused to lose. Tina had a fantastic first half, but faded in the 2nd half.

I'm psyched for the Mercury, but it's bittersweet - this was Swin's last game.

Last edited:

Jimbo

Running to Stand Still
Reaction Score
Congrats to our 2002 Final Four MOP on what was truly an extraordinary career. Two NCAA titles, two WNBA titles, two Olympic gold medals. I'll miss watching Swin play, but I'm sure we'll be seeing her broadcasting talents for a while yet. :)

Reaction Score
Congrats to our 2002 Final Four MOP on what was truly an extraordinary career. Two NCAA titles, two WNBA titles, two Olympic gold medals. I'll miss watching Swin play, but I'm sure we'll be seeing her broadcasting talents for a while yet. :)
3 WNBA titles

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
Santa Claus: And what do you want young man?
Me: A twelfth NCAA trophy for Geno, money for the needed repairs to Gampel, and I want Marta Xargay to be my girlfriend.
Santa Claus: The first two are going to happen, but that last part shows how immature and silly you can be.
Me: So she can't be my girlfriend?
Santa Claus: No, she won't, and you are just being foolish.
Me: Penny Taylor then?

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
Seriously, several of the Mercs who were not UConn players have game that looks like they were. So strong with fundamentals. Penny Taylor is sharp at both ends of fhe floor. She never quits, she's got a sweet shot with a quick rise and release on the jay. Marta is the Swiss (ahem Spanish) Army Knife, who does everything pretty darned well, and plays without fear. Both of them look to pass first.

That Penny is still so quick at age 35 is amazing, much like our Sue of the Storm.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
That was a complete game by Phoenix. This is the team that won a title two years ago. I like the addition of Xargay and they are all playing for Penny. The series with Minny should be epic if Phoenix brings this kind of passion and energy.

DT looked like she wants another title. I would not bet against the Mercury in the next series. And if they get to the finals, anything can happen.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Looking at the box score. NY shot almost 53% from the floor, 75% from the FT line and still lost. Phoenix got to the line a lot more, making 24 of 24 FT attempts. DT was aggressive to the rack and was not settling for the immediate open look. And Bonner definitely did a better job of playing within herself and not taking a bunch of ridiculous shots.

Last edited:

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Bone has gone from having a very successful year with Connecticut to not even making it on the floor in this game. I sure hope Phoenix can get a good trade for her. I am not a big fan of Bone but she is talented enough to get some PT for some team.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
swin%20cash.jpg

Bliss

Mizzou Ballyhoo
Reaction Score

I suspect that the bad taste in her mouth is from something else.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I still think MN has too much talent for Phoenix in a series vs. a one game playoff and they have strong post play to combat Griner.

The Europeans and Australians play a lot less and practice as a team a lot more than the Americans growing up, and while their numbers are smaller, it means the better ones get identified earlier and generally end up with better quality coaching earlier in their careers. The ones that are good enough to get to the WNBA (and want to come) usually have more rounded games coming in than the US college players outside of the really outstanding programs. The US players may have greater athleticism and talent, but have to learn more as pros because a lot have been allowed to skate on their talent alone through college.

Great career for Swin. There is a serious 'changing of the guard' happening in the W - that 2000 era talent rush that really defined the WNBA are all reaching retirement. The same with the National team.

Reaction Score
She's getting older, and wanted to be healthy for the Olympics. I don't blame her for sneaking into the playoffs and turning it on now. That's a classic Spurs move.

Penny Taylor is one of the best players of all time, and probably THE most underrated. Her and Diana are almost as good of a duo as Sue and Diana. I honestly think she's got more left in the tank, but she probably wants to retire before she can't walk anymore. She plays like a younger person, but her age shows up in injuries.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
This game was blacked out in Connecticut?

wallman

UCLA Bruin
Reaction Score
Bone has gone from having a very successful year with Connecticut to not even making it on the floor in this game. I sure hope Phoenix can get a good trade for her. I am not a big fan of Bone but she is talented enough to get some PT for some team.

She didn't seem excited that the team won either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom