Mercedes Russell Will Sit out 2014-2015 Season | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Mercedes Russell Will Sit out 2014-2015 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Tennessee's best chance to get back to the final four this coming season was having a healthy and productive Mercedes Russell at center. And that possibility has gone by the board.
There's a period of adjustment for even the most highly rated high school players and to count on them for significant contributions in the quest of a final four is wishful thinking with very few exceptions. Nared is the only player on this year's roster who didn't play last year that has a chance to see meaningful minutes.
Tucker would have but she is coming off of serious knee surgery and hasn't played in 2 years.
Burdick, Carter, Graves, Harrison, Jones, Massengale, Moore and Reynolds. That's 8 players who are ahead of the incoming freshman and Tucker for playing time. Let's move Nared into that group to make 9 players on a regular rotation. How much time will that leave for anyone else ?
Subtract Simmons and Russell and add Nared and that's the difference between last years Lady Vols and this years version. If Massengale isn't able to play a full season because of her history of concussions that would open up more time for someone else but that would result in weakening the team even further.
I don't see how Tennessee can make it to the final four this year. I don't see them winning either the SEC or their conference playoffs. My prediction would be for South Carolina to win both of those. They lost a lot less to graduation and injury than Tennessee has and they're gaining a lot more. It's far more likely that their freshman will make a meaningful contribution than for Tennessee's freshman.
Logically, I cannot come to any other conclusion.

Reaction Score
With Mercedes, I am not so sure this is a major hit as some have said...... as noted, she was playing on bad wheels last year, making it hard to determine exactly how good she really is.... as we all know, all players step into the cauldron and get a pretty clear measure of where they are..... and everything....or almost everything with Mercedes is being judged still on her "potential"

To offer a poor example of my point..... we will not get Durr..... very bad thing...... until you start to tink about it..... with Mercedes, terrible to have her out for the season..... and then you think of it..... her development on her injury recovery.... opportunity for someone else to mature in her place..... I think the LVs will be fine, at least on this front.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
For the LVs not having MR this season is not as big of a loss this season as it will be next season if she cant play along side of DD. Harrison is really good and everything should run through her. She has the experience and height to keep Tenn competitive. Next season the LVs need MR to fill the void left by Harrison and provide height. MR needs experience on the college level. It will be wait and see and the big see is DD wants a NC. Without MR I dont the LVs competing for a NC.

wallman

UCLA Bruin
Reaction Score
Tennessee's best chance to get back to the final four this coming season was having a healthy and productive Mercedes Russell at center. And that possibility has gone by the board.
There's a period of adjustment for even the most highly rated high school players and to count on them for significant contributions in the quest of a final four is wishful thinking with very few exceptions. Nared is the only player on this year's roster who didn't play last year that has a chance to see meaningful minutes.
Tucker would have but she is coming off of serious knee surgery and hasn't played in 2 years.
Burdick, Carter, Graves, Harrison, Jones, Massengale, Moore and Reynolds. That's 8 players who are ahead of the incoming freshman and Tucker for playing time. Let's move Nared into that group to make 9 players on a regular rotation. How much time will that leave for anyone else ?
Subtract Simmons and Russell and add Nared and that's the difference between last years Lady Vols and this years version. If Massengale isn't able to play a full season because of her history of concussions that would open up more time for someone else but that would result in weakening the team even further.
I don't see how Tennessee can make it to the final four this year. I don't see them winning either the SEC or their conference playoffs. My prediction would be for South Carolina to win both of those. They lost a lot less to graduation and injury than Tennessee has and they're gaining a lot more. It's far more likely that their freshman will make a meaningful contribution than for Tennessee's freshman.
Logically, I cannot come to any other conclusion.

But removing Simmone opens up 90% more shot attempts :oops:

Reaction Score
I do think it will be interesting to see how the team plays without Simmons in the line up. She was so hot and cold. She carried the team in many games. Even so, I think the Lady Vols will play better team basketball this year. That's not a slight at Simmons, as she is a super talented player, but I think she put way too much pressure on herself to do everything on the offensive side of the ball.

Reaction Score
I do think it will be interesting to see how the team plays without Simmons in the line up. She was so hot and cold. She carried the team in many games. Even so, I think the Lady Vols will play better team basketball this year. That's not a slight at Simmons, as she is a super talented player, but I think she put way too much pressure on herself to do everything on the offensive side of the ball.
I honestly think that they'll be better this year than they would be if Simmons was coming back.

Reaction Score
Count me as another who believes TN will be better off without MS in lineup..... Still mystifies me why CHW would accept and endorse MS's style of play..... not getting others involved in offense, and then say in the post game presser so many times....."I dont know what happened, but we will learn from this"

Again,on Mercedes..... a raw fact with me is that I haven't seen her play great at all in the 6-8 games I saw last season..... so I still contend that all the Mercedes plus DD talk is based on potential..... and it is still a big unknown.... Eliz Williams was #1 in country..... and what has she done..... Mercedes may be great, but until i see her be a game canger in some way..... I cannot count on her to lift LVs to post season success as some are suggesting

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
I have to wonder how the LVs will operate. Who's the go to player? Who's going to take the shot? Will the team become a passing team and executing an offense. Not having MS means all these things have to happen and from what I've seen the LVs havent been doing these things. Ball distribution this season is a must. Learning offense is a must and being able to execute that offense is a must. Harrsion appears to me to be the go to player. Will Graves step up and be the player we all thought was the next up and coming star? We will see. This is going to be an interesting season for the Vols as they prepare for DD and the return of MR. Alot of questions.

Reaction Score
Yeah, Tony, how will they operate..... this is why I have said repeatedly that the LVs will go as far as Holly takes them..... i.e. instituting some sort of cogent cohesive plan designed to hold them tough in games and designed to highlight team's fundamental abilities..... and capitalize on their strengths..... they have great ability..... they need a leader..... not only a leader but one who brings out the best in every other player and their inherent abilities.....

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Simmons' teammates were very dependent on her. Whenever Tenn really needed a bucket or needed to stage a comeback it was always Simmons leading the way. Against Maryland in the S16 loss last season Simmons seemed to be the only player willing to take shots to try to get back in the game. Who will be that go-to scorer now? I know Tenn fans will say Harrison, but she'll need her teammates to get her the ball in the right spots which won't be so easy to do when good defenses are focusing on her. Harrison isn't the type of player who can score from anywhere on the court. I do wonder which guard/wing is going to get points for Tenn when they really need them. Won't be a problem against most teams; I'm talking about playing against elite teams.

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
A player that I think will show improvement is Jordan Reynolds. She has the talent. As the SEC tourney last year she played real good.

Reaction Score
I have to wonder how the LVs will operate. Who's the go to player? Who's going to take the shot? Will the team become a passing team and executing an offense. Not having MS means all these things have to happen and from what I've seen the LVs havent been doing these things. Ball distribution this season is a must. Learning offense is a must and being able to execute that offense is a must. Harrsion appears to me to be the go to player. Will Graves step up and be the player we all thought was the next up and coming star? We will see. This is going to be an interesting season for the Vols as they prepare for DD and the return of MR. Alot of questions.
It's best not to have a go to player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69