Mercedes Russell Will Sit out 2014-2015 Season | The Boneyard

Mercedes Russell Will Sit out 2014-2015 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Oh wow- that's a big loss. Not sure how the LVs fill that void. That's the key question, obviously.

Reaction Score
I do not know if this is such a shocker, or if it will put a ding in the LV program in the long term..... it sounds like a rest of extended period is just what she needs .... Good luck to you Mercedes!!

Reaction Score
Bad blow for Tennessee. Hopefully she will come back healthy & able to contribute.

HGN

Reaction Score
Russell and Harrison were a great 1-2 punch in the paint....Now they will have just Harrison. This seriously effects the LV's quality front court depth.

But when Russell returns in the 2015 season , teaming with DeShields and Te'a Cooper , they will be a force in the NCAA's.

I wish Russell well in her recovery.

Reaction Score
Given the seriousness and complexity of Mercedes' surgery, I was expecting this. Thankfully, she'll get her education even if her future basketball career is in doubt.

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
Not the news I was wanting too hear. If this gets her feet fully healthy. Then it's the best thing for her.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Really sorry to hear that.

But it's interesting that Graves is completely forgotten.
Not on anyones radar, not part of the equation

Two years ago, she was the second coming and for good reason
Sorry about that too, I really like that kid.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I haven't forgot about Graves but she plays the 4. Mercedes is Izzy's backup and would be no help to us if she was still struggling with her feet. The depth takes a hit and Russell has the talent to be special so it stinks to have to wait a year to see her impact but her impact will be much better when healthy of course. If there was a good time to have her miss a year to get healthy this would be it. We have a lot of junior/senior frontcourt players this season so we can absorb the loss easier than if it was next year.

Reaction Score

She had a very good freshman season but really struggled last season. Sophomore slump I guess.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Alexis Prince has been battling bad feet ever since arriving at Baylor. She has also had surgery on both and it doesn't seem to be helping much. I am hopeful that she can recover and play this year and that Russell can do the same.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
She had a very good freshman season but really struggled last season. Sophomore slump I guess.

You know, its worse than that.
This huge talent, looked like and at time performed like a zombie, last season
Bad body language, sad face.
No joy.
I really though she might consider other options (sorry mods if I crossed the line).

Reaction Score
As discussed a few months ago, Russell had extensive surgery on her feet. Today Warlick announced Russell is expected to miss the upcoming season and apply for an extra year of eligibility,

She doesn't need to apply. The 5th year is automatic in her case.

U

UCONNfan1

Best wishes to Ms. Russell for a full and complete recovery. Blow for Tennessee, but let's be honest - they weren't going to compete for a NC this year. With her they were a likely candidate to actually make the final 4. Without her, a tad harder, but really, the best they could hope for this year is just making it to the final 4.

The larger issue is if this foot surgery was as complex as some are saying (and that she's had a history of orthopedic problems), then it becomes a larger question of her health and ability to contribute, even if she does make a full recovery. In addition, you rely on your feet for just about every exercise related to fitness. Coming back is not going to be easy for her. She's sort of a lumbering player who is not overly athletic.

Still, taking a whole year off can only help and once her feet are hopefully 100%, she will be able to work on fitness and stamina...

Reaction Score
Terrible turn of events for both Russell and Tennessee. And this probably brings her future playing level into question. Either the problem was worse to begin with than originally thought or her rehab wasn't going as well as had hoped. Either way, it's not good.
Make that 7 and counting.

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
She said in a tweet I'm just trying to get healthy so I'm 100%

Reaction Score
since she started at TN, there have been a gazillion comments on here about how little she impacted TN's team. that she was overrated, etc. now that she is out for a year, TN will be hurting without her on the floor. i don't get how those two opinions work together. :p:p sorry couldn't resist. just messing with ya'll.

IMHO, she will be missed against big teams like SC. however, TN has several forwards that can play in the paint. holly has been playing burdick and jones at the 3. they will now play more at the 4, which i think is way better for them. that's my positive spin on it.

i am just happy she is going to get healthy and come back to play with DD for 3 years. and yes, i do expect both to play for 3 years.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
since she started at TN, there have been a gazillion comments on here about how little she impacted TN's team. that she was overrated, etc. now that she is out for a year, TN will be hurting without her on the floor. i don't get how those two opinions work together. :p:p sorry couldn't resist. just messing with ya'll.

IMHO, she will be missed against big teams like SC. however, TN has several forwards that can play in the paint. holly has been playing burdick and jones at the 3. they will now play more at the 4, which i think is way better for them. that's my positive spin on it.

i am just happy she is going to get healthy and come back to play with DD for 3 years. and yes, i do expect both to play for 3 years.

I think you will agree that she was not as effective, regardless of the reason, as the overall #1 ranked high school player usually is. So, in that respect, yes, she was overrated. This is a quote from a Tennessee fan on VolNation today "I wish Mercedes well, but she was not a huge contributor last season" So, it seems that the overrated tag placed on her was wide spread and not limited to the Boneyard. The vast majority Tennessee fans were hoping for the "sophomore bounce" and projecting her to be a major factor in being able to get the Lady Vols back to the final four this year.
Remember "this year, no excuses" as someone once said. Though, quite frankly, I think this qualifies as a legitimate excuse/reason.
Let me ask you directly. Do you think that Russell not being able to play this year will have a major negative impact on Tennessee's performance ?

Reaction Score
Wow. Like others have stated; I feel terrible for Mercedes and wish her the best and for a good recovery.

Reaction Score
I think you will agree that she was not as effective, regardless of the reason, as the overall #1 ranked high school player usually is. So, in that respect, yes, she was overrated. This is a quote from a Tennessee fan on VolNation today "I wish Mercedes well, but she was not a huge contributor last season" So, it seems that the overrated tag placed on her was wide spread and not limited to the Boneyard. The vast majority Tennessee fans were hoping for the "sophomore bounce" and projecting her to be a major factor in being able to get the Lady Vols back to the final four this year.
Remember "this year, no excuses" as someone once said. Though, quite frankly, I think this qualifies as a legitimate excuse/reason.
Let me ask you directly. Do you think that Russell not being able to play this year will have a major negative impact on Tennessee's performance ?
i think her foot pain was a huge factor. she ran differently than in high school and apparently had all five toes fixed. to answer your question, i think it will hurt us against big teams, but i believe TN can get to FF with its current active roster. i just happy she didn't try to play again and lose another year of eligibility.

i can't speak for all TN fans but i didn't think she would come in and replace Izzy at the 5 spot. she needed some time to adjust to being a center in the SEC which is a brutal physical conference. i had hoped to see her have a sophomore bounce. guess i will have to wait on the junior jump. :)

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score

me, too. I suspect she got shunted aside when Russel came calling. JMO of course, I have nothing to support this...

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Hands down, this is a big loss.

In all seriousness, best wishes to Mercedes. Foot problems can be nasty. Look at Doug Collins, Bill Walton, and Andrew Toney, for example.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom