Megan Walker & Mikayla Coombs - McDonald's All Americans | The Boneyard

Megan Walker & Mikayla Coombs - McDonald's All Americans

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
McDonald's All American Game girls rosters revealed

Lady Vols have 4 of their Recruits make the teams.

UConn, Texas, Stanford and Louisville also will be represented by two All-Americans.

Some in twitter sphere are saying Andra Espinoza-Hunter should also have made the list. She was also not on the Mid Season Wooden list. If Andra makes one of last Summers USA teams, shes on both lists

Last edited:

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
McDonald's All American Game girls rosters revealed

Lady Vols have 4 of their Recruits make the teams.

UConn, Texas, Stanford and Louisville also will be represented by two All-Americans.

Some in twitter sphere are saying Andra Espinoza-Hunter should also have made the list. She was also not on the Mid Season Wooden list. If Andra makes one of last Summers USA teams, shes on both lists

I admit it will be hard for Holly to mess up her team with that talent but I have faith:D:D. What has the higher probability happening over the next 4 years for the two great 2017 recruiting classes of UConn and TN

1) UConn winning 4 NC's
2) TN making 1 FF (with Holly as coach)

I actually give % as 1) 25% 2) 10%

If I try to lower my expectations , maybe 50% for 3 NC, 75% for 2 NC and 100% for 1 NC ?:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Reaction Score
How many of those AA's played on USA Basketball teams? Were any of them excluded?

Reaction Score
I admit it will be hard for Holly to mess up her team with that talent but I have faith:D:D. What has the higher probability happening over the next 4 years for the two great 2017 recruiting classes of UConn and TN

1) UConn winning 4 NC's
2) TN making 1 FF (with Holly as coach)

I actually give % as 1) 25% 2) 10%

If I try to lower my expectations , maybe 50% for 3 NC, 75% for 2 NC and 100% for 1 NC ?:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Look at the recruiting rankings of last year's team under Holly. #'s 1,3,5,6 + additional McD's AA"s. Last year's team was much more highly rated than next year's incoming freshmen. How did they do ?

Reaction Score

Funny cause she has a lot of talent, AAs and #1 players, and can't get them to be consistent or good. I can see her definitely screwing up the next 4 years

HGN

Reaction Score
When you think about it , The LadyVols , inadvertently, have done SOMETHING THAT MAY IMPACT 2 programs. With having four(4) McDonald's AA's coming in it puts Holly on the hot seat to show vast improvement and win right now ; And it closes the window on Staley at USC to win the SEC and a NC. With this crop of AA's the LadyVols may not remain the Gamecocks patsy much longer.
And it comes on the heels of SC not picking up good replacements for Coates and Wilson (which has been the Gamecocks big edge in games, literally). With the talent Holly has returning next year and the incoming McDonalds AA, The Vols should show great improvement. And possibly win the SEC.

Heck , even Holly couldn't mess this up.

Reaction Score
Yet Lexi Gordon is ranked #22 by Prospects Nation, while Coombs is rated #31. Kind of strange. Wonder how ratings and AA status mesh.....

Reaction Score
It doesn't matter how many AA recruits Tennessee gets. They have no coaching staff to develop them!!

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
How many of those AA's played on USA Basketball teams? Were any of them excluded?
Just about all the players were invited or tried out for USA basketball age group teams.
Only these players actually made one or more USA basketball teams:
Janelle Bailey C 6-3 Providence Day (Charlotte, N.C.) N. Carolina
Rellah Boothe F 6-1 IMG Academy (Bradenton, Fla.) Texas
Maya Dodson F 6-3 Saint Francis (Alpharetta, Ga.) Stanford
Dana Evans PG 5-6 West Side Leadership (Gary, Ind.) Louisville
Megan Walker W 6-1 Monacan (North Chesterfield, Va.) Uconn
Chennedy Carter PG 5-7 Timberview (Arlington,Texas) Texas A&M
Sidney Cooks F 6-4 St. Joseph Catholic (Kenosha, Wis.) Michigan St.
Destiny Littleton G 5-8 Bishop’s School (La Jolla, Calif.) USC
Alexis Morris PG 5-6 Legacy Christian (Beaumont, Texas) Baylor
Michaela Onyenwere F 5-11 Grandview (Aurora, Colo.) UCLA
Evina Westbrook G 6-0 South Salem (Salem, Ore.) Tennessee
Jade Williams F 6-4 The Colony (The Colony, Texas) Duke.

If you are looking for former USA Basketball 2017 players that did not make McDonalds AA team Andra-Espinosa Hunter was not the only one. There was also:
Jayda Adams
Lauryn Miller

Last edited:

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Yet Lexi Gordon is ranked #22 by Prospects Nation, while Coombs is rated #31. Kind of strange. Wonder how ratings and AA status mesh.....
There is often a very strong correlation but never a exact mesh or match.

Reaction Score
Rankings on Prospects Nation for McDonald's AA's:

East
Janelle Bailey: #37
Rellah Booth: #4
Mikayla Coombs: #31
Rennia Davis: #9
Maya Dodson: #24
Dana Evans: #3
Raven Farley-Clark: #14
Anastasia Hayes: #6
Kasiyahna Kushkituah: #11
Chasity Patterson: #8
Danielle Patterson: #28
Megan Walker: #1

West
Chennedy Carter: #10
Ayanna Clark: #38
Sidney Cooks: #69
Loretta Kakala: #33
Destiny Littleton: #19
Alexis Morris: #5
Michaela Onyenwere: #18
Deauzya Richards: #7
Kianna Smith: #27
Evina Westbrook: #2
Jade Williams: #15
Kianna Williams: #12

Players ranked in the top 24 in Prospects Nation not selected as AA's (24 are selected as AA's):

#13 Khayla Poynter
#16 Lauryn MIller
#17 Quanniecia Morrison
#20 Ana Llanusa
#21 Karisa McLaughlin
#22 Lexi Gordon
#23 Gabby Connally

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Players ranked in the top 24 in Prospects Nation not selected as AA's (24 are selected as AA's):
There are often major discrepancies among the rating services. For example Kasiyahna Kushkituah: #11 in Prospects Nation and #55 in ESPN: Sidney Cooks: #69 in Prospects Nation and #5 in ESPN. Correlating 1 rating service to McDonald's AA's selection is like setting yourself up for water boarding.

Reaction Score

I think the McDonald's AA team is based off of ESPN's rankings. If that is the case then it would make sense because Coombs is ranked 14th and Gordon is 29th. I also think I heard the announcement of the top 14 ranked players and 18 of 19 are playing in this game.

Reaction Score
I think the McDonald's AA team is based off of ESPN's rankings. If that is the case then it would make sense because Coombs is ranked 14th and Gordon is 29th. I also think I heard the announcement of the top 14 ranked players and 18 of 19 are playing in this game.

Could be. But says that Prospects Nation is pretty out of whack. Either the AA committee is goofy, or else the other is. In any case, having seven players ranked in the top 24 and not get selected raises questions.

Haven't gone over the ESPN list yet. But perhaps says that these ratings, as well as the USA Basketball selection process, is all over the map.

Reaction Score

East
Janelle Bailey: #37
Rellah Booth: #4
Mikayla Coombs: #31
Rennia Davis: #9
Maya Dodson: #24
Dana Evans: #3
Raven Farley-Clark: #14
Anastasia Hayes: #6
Kasiyahna Kushkituah: #11
Chasity Patterson: #8
Danielle Patterson: #28
Megan Walker: #1

West
Chennedy Carter: #10
Ayanna Clark: #38
Sidney Cooks: #69
Loretta Kakala: #33
Destiny Littleton: #19
Alexis Morris: #5
Michaela Onyenwere: #18
Deauzya Richards: #7
Kianna Smith: #27
Evina Westbrook: #2
Jade Williams: #15
Kianna Williams: #12

#13 Khayla Poynter
#16 Lauryn MIller
#17 Quanniecia Morrison
#20 Ana Llanusa
#21 Karisa McLaughlin
#22 Lexi Gordon
#23 Gabby Connally

ESPN Rankings:

East:
Dodson: #11
Bailey: #41
Boothe: #3
Coombs: #14
Davis: #12
Evans: #7
Farley-Clark: #19
Hayes: #9
Kushkituah: #55
Patterson: #4
Patterson: #30
Walker: #1

West:
Carter: #6
Clark: #17
Cooks: #5
Kakala: #25
Littleton: #33
Morris: #18
Onyenwere: #10
Richards: #16
Smith: #21
Westbrook: #2
Williams: #13
Williams: #8

Top 24 ranked players not selected for McDonald's AA:

#15 Horvat
#20 Boykin
#22 Duvall
#23 Strautmane
#24 Grissett

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
ESPN Rankings:

East:
Dodson: #11
Bailey: #41
Boothe: #3
Coombs: #14
Davis: #12
Evans: #7
Farley-Clark: #19
Hayes: #9
Kushkituah: #55
Patterson: #4
Patterson: #30
Walker: #1

West:
Carter: #6
Clark: #17
Cooks: #5
Kakala: #25
Littleton: #33
Morris: #18
Onyenwere: #10
Richards: #16
Smith: #21
Westbrook: #2
Williams: #13
Williams: #8

Top 24 ranked players not selected for McDonald's AA:

#15 Horvat
#20 Boykin
#22 Duvall
#23 Strautmane
#24 Grissett

Isnt #15 Horvat from Australia ? New Zealand?

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
The McDonald's AA team is not based off ESPN rankings. There is a national selection committee that picks the team and it quite possible that some ESPN employees are part of the selection. Other ranking services, Allstar Girls report, Prospects Nation, USA Today, Parade Magazine & Blue Star Media are also members of the committee.

Reaction Score
The entire high school all star game process has become a joke. It's more about spreading your brand, sizzle, and politics. If they really wanted to have a true all star game, they would invite the top 40 girls to a three day camp. You could pick the best 20 and divide them up into east and west. The girls season is barely half way over. Are they being judged on high school or their summers? It is impossible to judge which girl is #15 and which is #40 without seeing them on the court together or against similar competition.

skilz

Final Four Bound!
Reaction Score
The McDonald's AA team is not based off ESPN rankings. There is a national selection committee that picks the team and it quite possible that some ESPN employees are part of the selection. Other ranking services, Allstar Girls report, Prospects Nation, USA Today, Parade Magazine & Blue Star Media are also members of the committee.

I'm so glad someone said this! ESPN rankings are not taken into consideration for the MCDAA teams.

I am surprised to see that Gordon didn't make it.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
The entire high school all star game process has become a joke. It's more about spreading your brand, sizzle, and politics. If they really wanted to have a true all star game, they would invite the top 40 girls to a three day camp. You could pick the best 20 and divide them up into east and west. The girls season is barely half way over. Are they being judged on high school or their summers? It is impossible to judge which girl is #15 and which is #40 without seeing them on the court together or against similar competition.
The charitable component of the McDonalds All-Star game is something that should be maintained IMO. The visit by the players to Ronald McDonald house is a very worthwhile event.

Reaction Score

Okay, thanks.

I'm so glad someone said this! ESPN rankings are not taken into consideration for the MCDAA teams.

I am surprised to see that Gordon didn't make it.

Easy there, not sure why you're glad someone said this like it was something taboo I said. I didn't say it was definitive the ESPN rankings is all they went off of. I said the word "think". I am also quite sure the ESPN rankings are a part of the selection process for the McDonald's AA teams. If you show proof they're not, then I will apologize. Other than that I will continue to say "think" or "myabe" or anything that I am not sure on.

Last edited:

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Could be. But says that Prospects Nation is pretty out of whack. Either the AA committee is goofy, or else the other is. In any case, having seven players ranked in the top 24 and not get selected raises questions. Haven't gone over the ESPN list yet. But perhaps says that these ratings, as well as the USA Basketball selection process, is all over the map.
Perhaps it raises questions because you are correlating two things (1-McDonalds AA Selection with 2-A Single Rating service rankings.) that should not be so closely correlated. Go back as many years as you want and you will find roughly the same number of discrepancies. You are also not considering the geography of the selections and the positions played by the selected players. The 2017 class was a class loaded with wings. UCONN happens to be getting 4 wings in the 2017 recruiting class. Andra-Esponisa Hunter was likely not selected for this team because in the judgement of the selection committee there were 4 players on the east squad that are better wings than AEH. The exact same thing can be said of Lexi Gordon being on the West Squad. USA basketball being a point of evaluation also does not favor Lexi or AEH's selection to McDonalds AA team, since neither player made the last USA basketball age group team that they tried out for. FYI Coombs also did not make the last USA basketball age group team she tried out for.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom