Measurables update on the 2023 FB roster | The Boneyard

Measurables update on the 2023 FB roster

Reaction Score
Cale Millen now a DB?

From back in the spring…

Alternate access link-<<

->"We moved Cale (Millen) before spring ball,” UConn coach Jim Mora said. “He is a 6-3, 210-pound player who is one of the more athletic and faster guys on our team (Millen) and I had a talk about where he can help us the most,” Mora said. “I think he can do some things for us on defense, certainly on special teams, and I think he can do things on offense as well. We are just giving him the spring to work on defense.” <-

->“Whether that is as a wild cat quarterback, a slot receiver,” Mora said. “He is too big, fast and athletic not to find a place to play. He can do a lot of things.”

While Millen has not played defense since before high school, he has had experience on special teams dating back to his time at Northern Arizona.

"I think they see my athleticism, they see the flashes and they are just trying to give me a chance to play," Millen said. "It is a lot of different movements and stuff that I am getting used to. But it has been really fun, I like being part of the defensive backs." <-

Reaction Score
TE room got bigger, in numbers and weight. LBs bumped up in weight. Hope the DBs are fast and tackle well. Y. Walker still not putting on weight but got on the field as a Blocking H-Back, an xtra-xtra OL. Maybe he will be the 6th lineman this year. Not sure about OC.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
TE room got bigger, in numbers and weight. LBs bumped up in weight. Hope the DBs are fast and tackle well. Y. Walker still not putting on weight but got on the field as a Blocking H-Back, an xtra-xtra OL. Maybe he will be the 6th lineman this year. Not sure about OC.
You're not sure about Charlton's weight?

Reaction Score
Maybe that's why Walker isn't putting on weight after all.. Could he be plugged in as a short yardage blocking HB/FB? Would make sense...

Reaction Score
Maybe that's why Walker isn't putting on weight after all.. Could he be plugged in as a short yardage blocking HB/FB? Would make sense...
along those lines I'm still waiting for Jelani to do his short yardage version of the "Fridge' ....;)

Reaction Score
From what I’ve heard, him and Fortin are competing for the center spot. He does need to gain some weight, at least break to 285 for a chance to start. He may be the fastest o-line but probably bottom in strength. He may have a tough time putting on weight because of metabolism and most of his fat turning into muscle.

Reaction Score
From what I’ve heard, him and Fortin are competing for the center spot. He does need to gain some weight, at least break to 285 for a chance to start. He may be the fastest o-line but probably bottom in strength. He may have a tough time putting on weight because of metabolism and most of his fat turning into muscle.

Fat cannot turn into muscle.

Reaction Score
Is Haynes no longer being considered an option for center?

Reaction Score
Fat cannot turn into muscle.
Fat cannot turn into muscle. But if you are doing activity that builds muscle you are likely losing fat. That is usually a worthwhile transformation. Also since muscle weighs more than fat, you can lose fat and gain weight. I think that is what the Guru was getting at.

Reaction Score
Fat cannot turn into muscle. But if you are doing activity that builds muscle you are likely losing fat. That is usually a worthwhile transformation. Also since muscle weighs more than fat, you can lose fat and gain weight. I think that is what the Guru was getting at.
Correct

Reaction Score
Is Haynes no longer being considered an option for center?
I don’t think they will move him to center if we’ve had two players who been particularly playing center for a while. Haynes actually hasn’t taking a snap at center during 11v11. I believe the only reason him playing center got brought up was because a reporter saw him taking snaps at center during individual drills and assumed he was getting looked at/moved to center.

Reaction Score
I believe the only reason him playing center got brought up was because a reporter saw him taking snaps at center during individual drills and assumed he was getting looked at/moved to center.

A bit of identified talent and a bit of Coach Mora projecting/promoting Haynes…

Assisted access link <<

-> “Christian is an NFL guard and an NFL center. He is a really outstanding player. When you see him snap the ball and the quickness off the ball, it’s been really impressive.”

Haynes has played some center for the Huskies on occasion over his four seasons, but has started every game at one of the guard spots for the last three years.

One of the longest-tenured veterans in the UConn football program, and one of the most prominent leaders on the offensive side of the ball, Haynes wants to be a versatile player and fill in where the team needs him most.

“If Coach needs me at center I can go out there and play center, if he still needs me at guard I can play guard,” Haynes said. “Just really versatility and showing what I can do for the next level… Repping at center helps the team have another guy that can go out there and play center that has the experience to do that.”

The offensive line this year has adopted the motto “good to great,” aligning with Mora’s overarching theme of ‘The Reload.’ With Guidone the only departure thus far, UConn expects to return every other starter on the offensive line in Valentin Senn, Noel Ofori-Nyadu, Haynes and Chase Lundt.

“If I were evaluating Christian as an NFL evaluator, I would see him as a center probably with the ability to play guard. In the NFL, on Sundays you suit up seven,” Mora said. “So, that means you’re suiting up three tackles and you’re suiting up four interior guys. So you want a guy that can do both, that can play center and play guard, so his stock will certainly go up because of his ability to do both things.” <-

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom