Meanwhile in Tampa..... | The Boneyard

Meanwhile in Tampa.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
The Rays have quietly put together its best team ever on paper.

Buster Olney has the AL EAST going 1.TB 2. Boston 3. NYY

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score

I just traded John Lackey(15th round) to a Sox fan for Chris Archer(19th round). Feeling giddy.

Reaction Score
I just traded John Lackey(15th round) to a Sox fan for Chris Archer(19th round). Feeling giddy.

If a keeper league that is a robbery.

Reaction Score

Just curious, how did Olney have the AL East last year at this time?

Reaction Score
Olney had the O's last year. Your boys had a magical season and were clearly the best team in MLB. I don't see them having the same run this year. I can't remember a defending champ switching up 3/4 up the middle as the Sox have done. Letting go about 12 WAR losing Salty, Ells and Drew will hurt. The pen is the most year to year volatile part of a team and I see regression coming. There were an awful lot of career or very close to career years across the board, hard to see that repeating.

The Rays will field a far better team then the one that won 92 last year. Some Jamokes on here may have the Sox or Yanks as the "team to beat" but the Rays window is wide open with the benefits of the Garza and Shields trades paying off now. If Longo stays on the field this looks like a 95 plus win team and favorites to win the AL east. I wish the season would start today.

Reaction Score
I think most Sox fans think they will fall back a bit this year, and TB, Bos and NY will vie for the division title in any order. NY obviously just scooped a ton of talent so we'll see how that works out. We'll also see if Tampa keeps Price or moves him for prospects. But as always, they are a very well run organization and will compete. If I had to guess now, I'd say Tampa and NY going for the title with Boston for 3rd, but who knows.

As for Boston, you're right, last year was magical. But it's a new year now and there is a transition to the bringing up some of the great talent they have in the minors. MLB.com just rated them the #2 farm system with the most prospects in the top 100.
I expect them to extend their own guys (Lester and Ortiz) and keep big money out of the FA market unless a really good player in his 20's comes up at which point they'll be in great position to pounce.

Reaction Score
Rays have been a real good "on paper" team for a while…..

Sox always find a way, especially when I doubt they can……

Yanks are better, but also worst in area's (? marks) so we'll see ………

Should be fun, doubt the O's will give in all that easy!

Reaction Score
If Longo stays on the field

You do need him to stay healthy. T's pitching is so strong, but you were 9th in runs scored in the AL last year. Not to say NY would ever have won, but losing your 1B, SS (and 2nd and 3rd options), 3B (again, multiples - hard to even remember Youk was on the team) and CF is pretty tough. An injury here or there, and it's a different season.

I'm looking forward to the season myself. Curious to see if and how NY's roster jells, and if they can get anything out of their ML pitchers (Pineda, Banuelos, etc).

Reaction Score
I think that last year the Sox did not have the most talented players but they obviously had the best team. The heart of the team is back. Ellsbury is gone but despite his talent, he was not noted as a great club house guy. They'll miss Salty's enthusiasm but he was a liability behind the plate. The plus for the Sox is a full year for Bogaerts and Middlebrooks and perhaps Bradley. Plus some great young arms on the cusp along with two high-potential catchers. If they don't repeat this year, 2015 is looking mighty promising.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
No one saw the Red Sox coming last year. They were supposed to challenge the Yanks for 4th Place.

Position-wise, The Yankees helped themselves at Catcher and Centerfield, though Granderson and Ellsbury bring different talents to the table and they lose some power. The Yanks hurt themselves at 3rd and 2nd. those the loss of A-Rod in the clubhouse is probably addition by subtraction. Still don't know what to expect from Tanaka, but he has to be better than some random stiff in the rotation. Their biggest challenge will be in the 9th inning. The Yankees need to get used to the occasional blown save for the first time in 18 years.

The Red Sox have quite a few but ifs going on this year, but I certainly expect regression. I don't think they will still contend for the division and cant' see them finish any lower than a close third.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HassanDawg

Top Bottom