McNeal question - sorry if its been asked | Page 2 | The Boneyard

McNeal question - sorry if its been asked

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Dez just tweeted that McNeal is looking around just in case he does not get accepted into one of our grad programs.

Reaction Score
Time for the Grad school to step up (Susan). The Robbie Frey block is still infuriating.

and please no talk of needing to maintain standards, Ivy league schools bend their standards to help athletics. If Ivy league schools can do it so can the all too freaking prestigious UCONN grad schools.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Time for the Grad school to step up (Susan). The Robbie Frey block is still infuriating.

and please no talk of needing to maintain standards, Ivy league schools bend their standards to help athletics. If Ivy league schools can do it so can the all too freaking prestigious UCONN grad schools.

Guys, I don't think it was a matter of Frey not getting in (as another poster alluded to). It was a matter of him wanting to go back home (or at least to go to a program that wouldn't be 2 years long):

http://articles.mcall.com/2011-02-2..._1_robbie-frey-paul-pasqualoni-raymond-monica

Here is a section of the linked article:

The new Huskies coach helped get Frey, who redshirted as a freshman, into the school's highly competitive master's program, something that could have led to him staying at UConn. But in the end, Frey said he decided to leave Connecticut to accelerate his off-the-field plans.
At Kutztown, Frey can complete his graduate degree requirements in 18 months. At Connecticut it could take two years or longer.

I don't think that the Frey situation applies here, everyone.

Reaction Score
It's hard for me to understand how we'd get McNeal to verbally commit to here without having already locked up his admission to the grad school program of his choice. I hope this is just an outlier and not a trend.

Reaction Score
Guys, I don't think it was a matter of Frey not getting in (as another poster alluded to). It was a matter of him wanting to go back home (or at least to go to a program that wouldn't be 2 years long):

http://articles.mcall.com/2011-02-2..._1_robbie-frey-paul-pasqualoni-raymond-monica

The new Huskies coach helped get Frey, who redshirted as a freshman, into the school's highly competitive master's program, something that could have led to him staying at UConn. But in the end, Frey said he decided to leave Connecticut to accelerate his off-the-field plans.
At Kutztown, Frey can complete his graduate degree requirements in 18 months. At Connecticut it could take two years or longer.

wow, my bad. I could have sworn Frey was not admitted to the grad school he was looking to get into.

Reaction Score
The school of education programs are very regimented and grad school is part of the application process as a soph. You technically "apply" to grad school as a senior but it is more a formality than anything else.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
It's hard for me to understand how we'd get McNeal to verbally commit to here without having already locked up his admission to the grad school program of his choice. I hope this is just an outlier and not a trend.

I'm guessing that it's an isolated instance. I think most people who have followed the situation were perplexed when we all learned that he still had to take summer courses at Clemson. Did it catch the UConn staff and admissions people off guard as well? I'm not pretending that I know anything about the kid's grades or prerequisites met, but it could simply be that the administration assumed certain things were in place that ended up not being in place.

Who knows. What a weird situation. Still, it seems that everyone (McNeal included) is working diligently to work out the situation. Until I'm told that he's not accepted or not playing for UConn, I am going to treat the young man as a new Husky. It's also nice to see that he has built up a friendship with Shakim Phillips, as a side-note.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
wow, my bad. I could have sworn Frey was not admitted to the grad school he was looking to get into.

No worries. I was actually more under the impression that he left for a girl (actually the article alludes to that a little bit), rather than a shorter-term grad program, but....who knows. I think he recently signed in the NFL, and I wish the young man a lot of luck. He's still a Husky to me!

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
It's the grad versus undergrad aspect and who controls those admissions.
I'd like to think the President of UConn could have a say in it. It's one fairly motivated kid (college grad!), not some one-year-wonder at Kentucky.

Reaction Score
If this is true that means more struggles for the WR position. Was so hopeful that Phillips and McNeal would finally bring talent to that position. Not accepted by UConn? Gosh I hope not, becausing recruiting isn't getting it done quickly enough.

UConnSportsGuy

Addicted to all things UCONN!
Reaction Score
I wonder if the NCAA may have stepped in and said that whatever major McNeal was looking at while at UConn was not unique enough from what is offered at Clemson. Isn't the graduate transfer rule allowed only if they are majoring in something that is not offered at their existing school? There are so many rules and changes, I may have that wrong. But I thought that was the ruling. If so, maybe McNeal's intended major at UConn was deemed 'the same' as a major at Clemson and now he is deciding whether to pick a different major at UConn or something more similar to what he originally wanted at Louisville (that will be deemed unique enough from what Clemson offers). Just a thought to throw out there.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score

Frey got screwed. He was being classy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69