McNeal question - sorry if its been asked | The Boneyard

McNeal question - sorry if its been asked

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Was reading an ESPN preview and saw this, "UConn will have to wait a year for Bryce McNeal after the 6-1 junior transferred from Clemson in the offseason."

Is that true, I was expecting McNeal to participate in summer ball and be able to play right away?

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Yeah I saw Louisville on Twitter tonight from the Louisville bloggers. What the heck happened?

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Actually reads like he is visiting Louisville? I won't pretend I understand a thing he is saying on twitter. But if it turns out he doesn't get a real offer to Louisville and he still wants to come to Storrs and they let him on campus.....

Reaction Score
Actually reads like he is visiting Louisville? I won't pretend I understand a thing he is saying on twitter. But if it turns out he doesn't get a real offer to Louisville and he still wants to come to Storrs and they let him on campus.....

This seems like an issue with an acceptance to UConn's grad school due to the timing.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
This seems like an issue with an acceptance to UConn's grad school due to the timing.

So he graduated from Clemson in three years and didn't get accepted at UConn? How would they have been talking about it if he wasn't accepted?

I can't translate it well, but from his twitter feed it seems to suggest that Louisville was something he wanted.

This is why I ignore recruiting. I don't blame the kids for enjoying the ride and looking out for themselves, but I'm good just waiting until September and seeing who shows up.

Reaction Score
So he graduated from Clemson in three years and didn't get accepted at UConn? How would they have been talking about it if he wasn't accepted?

I can't translate it well, but from his twitter feed it seems to suggest that Louisville was something he wanted.

This is why I ignore recruiting. I don't blame the kids for enjoying the ride and looking out for themselves, but I'm good just waiting until September and seeing who shows up.

I don't think he actually graduated in three years. I know for a fact he had to stay at Clemson over the summer to take classes.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I don't think he actually graduated in three years. I know for a fact he had to stay at Clemson over the summer to take classes.

Well that would still be three years for NCAA purposes I believe. If UConn isn't going to admit football players we can forget going against the big boys - can't win an unfair fight.

Reaction Score
Well that would still be three years for NCAA purposes I believe. If UConn isn't going to admit football players we can forget going against the big boys - can't win an unfair fight.

UConn has lost numerous players to Harvard and denied their would be starter at RB two years ago acceptance to grad school leading him to transfer. I don't think that would happen at most Big 12/SEC schools.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
UConn has lost numerous players to Harvard and denied their would be starter at RB two years ago acceptance to grad school leading him to transfer. I don't think that would happen at most Big 12/SEC schools.

Kids picking an Ivy is different. I got skewered by the academics on here when I complained about Frey not getting admitted.

But yes, that's my point if this is an admission issue that is a problem for the program. Edsall pretty much came out and said that.

Reaction Score
Not what happened. Again, he did get admitted. Chose PA school because it was faster track to PA teaching certificate. Had nothing to do with UConn or PP.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Not what happened. Again, he did get admitted. Chose PA school because it was faster track to PA teaching certificate. Had nothing to do with UConn or PP.

Frey didn't leave UConn because he didn't get into the education program? I have never heard anywhere that he got
admitted.

Reaction Score
If we keep this up we're destined to become an overachieving mid major program.

Reaction Score
If we keep this up we're destined to become an overachieving mid major program.

It is easier to get kids into Rutgers, never mind Louisville, Cincy, USF, etc. The schools coming in have even lower standards. It's a problem.

I wonder how long this has been an issue. Did Nate Miles do that damage?

pj

Reaction Score
I think the problem is with graduate school admissions, controlled by the departments, not undergraduate admissions. Presumably departments don't want to give up control over their admissions to the university or the football program. It's a turf war and a scholarship-vs-athletics-priority issue. Just my guess, from experience in academia.

Reaction Score

i enjoyed following it for a couple of years, but i think i've decided that following recruiting has about as much real world value as following astrology. more and more my following of a player doesn't begin until after they show up on campus as a freshman.

Reaction Score
i enjoyed following it for a couple of years, but i think i've decided that following recruiting has about as much real world value as following astrology. more and more my following of a player doesn't begin until after they show up on campus as a freshman.

Agreed. For me it is a couple of reasons:

1. The star rankings are ridiculous. Fans judge classes before I player even puts on the shoulder pads for his school. Its used on star ratings from analysts who see a fraction of a players film, if at all. I prefer to judge players after they step foot on the college football field.

2. Situations for recruits change, as they change their mind, and sometimes have academic issues. Montrell Dobbs is a good example.

I will focus my energy on the players on the team, and how they perform on the field.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
How come this isn't an issue for the basketball program? I'm sure that the football and basketball programs don't have different standards for admission. Yet we've won three NC and have had zero problems, as far as I know, getting top-level players here. Why is it a problem for football? I highly doubt football players are any less intelligent than some of the basketball players we've had.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
How come this isn't an issue for the basketball program? I'm sure that the football and basketball programs don't have different standards for admission. Yet we've won three NC and have had zero problems, as far as I know, getting top-level players here. Why is it a problem for football? I highly doubt football players are any less intelligent than some of the basketball players we've had.

It's the grad versus undergrad aspect and who controls those admissions.

Reaction Score
Dez saying on twitter that McNeal is looking around just in case he doesn't get into UConn's grad school.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom