McDonalds AA | Page 2 | The Boneyard

McDonalds AA

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
Syracuse, Northwestern, and Florida will all graduate their only McDonald's AA at seasons end.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
You know, it is a nice honor to get as a HS kid, but it really signifies less than whichever HS ranking system you subscribe to, or all of them combined, and they are notoriously inaccurate in general for predicting college performance.

It is sort of like 'winning the off-season' in a professional sport - most of those winners don't actually perform very well when the winning actually is tied to a score in the actual games.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Here we go.....

I want to preface this that I am assuming that all RS Juniors return and nobody leaves early for the WNBA draft! If they declare or leave early I will remove them.. (additions are in RED)

1. Tennessee (9)--Cooper, Middleton, Nared, DeShields, Russell, Davis, Hayes, Kushkituah, Westbrook.

2. Lousivlle (8)--Johnson, Shook, Durr, Fuehring, Hines-Allen, Moore, Evans, Kakala
Notre Dame (8)--Boley, Young Mabrey, Ogunbowale, Patberg, Westbeld, Turner, Patterson
Texas (8)--Holmes, Higgs, Hosey, White, Atkins, McCarty, Booth, Patterson

5. UCONN (6)--Dangerfield, Samuelson, Collier, Williams, Coombs, Walker
Baylor (6)--Chou, Cox, Mompremier, Brown, Morris, Richards
Maryland (6)--Charles, Watson Slocum, Fraser, Gillespie, Small
Duke (6)--Odom, Lambert, Belton, Brown, Greenwell, Williams

9. Stanford (5)--Carrington, Fingall, Johnson, Dodson, Williams
UCLA (5)--Corsaro, Hearn, Canada, Drummer, Onyenwere
Ohio State (5)--McCoy, Calhoun, Mitchell, Mavunga, Harper

12. Southern California (4)--Edwards, Adams, Clark, Littleton

13. California (3)--Anigwe, Cowling, Smith
South Carolina (3)--Cuevas-Moore, Wilson, Davis
North Carolina (3)--Walker, Watts, Bailey

16. Florida State (2)--Thomas, White
Michigan State (2)--Reimer, Cooks

Teams with 1 McDonald's AA in 2017-2018

Texas Christian (TCU)
Oklahoma
Arkansas
Harvard
Oregon
Vanderbilt
Penn State
Georgia
Kentucky
Washington
Missouri
Texas Tech
Rutgers
Kansas
LSU
Texas A&M
Reimer is a grad student at Michigan State this year and will have completed her four years of eligibility I believe so they should drop to the 'single AA' list.

HuskyFan1125

Reaction Score
Reimer is a grad student at Michigan State this year and will have completed her four years of eligibility I believe so they should drop to the 'single AA' list.

I originally had her removed but had a note from a B1G game on recently that said they had applied for another year and it was granted. I cant find any news on it only from the live broadcast. It was granted based on the events of her leaving Notre Dame. I will look for details.

Reaction Score
Wasn't UConn's transfer Azure an AA coming out of high school, thus adding one more to the count?

HuskyFan1125

Reaction Score
Wasn't UConn's transfer Azure an AA coming out of high school, thus adding one more to the count?

She was NOT a McDonald's AA.

There are many HS AA awards. I'm just tracking McDAA as it seems to be the list most refer too.

HGN

Reaction Score
I think Elisia Grissett and Lexi Gordon got snubbed but whatever they will just have to show what they got on the court next year.

BTW Grissett is currently averaging 28 ppg, 13.5 rpg, 9.2 spg, 6.2 apg, and 3.4 bpg at 6'2" I don't think there's a more versatile or athletic player in the class. Plays Point Guard on offense and Center on defense for her team, I think those numbers speak for themselves.
Getting snubbed like Grissett , Lexi Gordon, and Andra Espinosa-Hunter did , can sometimes motivate those players to come in with something to prove. I hope these 3 players show up at their schools with a chip on their shoulder and play like AA next season.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Disappointed that Mikayla Boykin didnt make the team. Not sure if her missing her sophomore and junior years due to injury was a contributing factor. Im sure she will have a chip on her shoulder.... and look forward to her bringing it to Durham in the fall.

I think Elisia Grissett and Lexi Gordon got snubbed but whatever they will just have to show what they got on the court next year.

BTW Grissett is currently averaging 28 ppg, 13.5 rpg, 9.2 spg, 6.2 apg, and 3.4 bpg at 6'2" I don't think there's a more versatile or athletic player in the class. Plays Point Guard on offense and Center on defense for her team, I think those numbers speak for themselves.

It will be interesting to see who the NC State player of the year will be between Grissett, Boykin, and Bailey (who actually made the McDonalds squad). Typically the award goes to players at the bigger schools or Providence Day. Grissett plays at a 4-A school in Durham, Bailey is at Providence Day in Charlotte.... and Boykin plays for a 2-A squad out in a small town down east. Boykin averages 40 pts a game and over 10 rebounds per game... as a 5'9 guard.

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
Mike Flynn (Blue Star), posted something last night on twitter about "issues" with McD AA, so wondering if the other all star lists will be significantly different?

Screen Shot 2017-01-16 at 7.20.13 AM.png

Reaction Score
How about AEH? She must be averaging 40+ points per game for Ossining this year to replace the missing offense due to her team's injuries.........that's not easy to do in any high school conference......................

HuskyFan1125

Reaction Score
Thought I would bump this up since I'm not sure anyone seen it last night!

Reaction Score
Disappointed that Mikayla Boykin didnt make the team. Not sure if her missing her sophomore and junior years due to injury was a contributing factor. Im sure she will have a chip on her shoulder.... and look forward to her bringing it to Durham in the fall.

It will be interesting to see who the NC State player of the year will be between Grissett, Boykin, and Bailey (who actually made the McDonalds squad). Typically the award goes to players at the bigger schools or Providence Day. Grissett plays at a 4-A school in Durham, Bailey is at Providence Day in Charlotte.... and Boykin plays for a 2-A squad out in a small town down east. Boykin averages 40 pts a game and over 10 rebounds per game... as a 5'9 guard.

I thought for sure Boykin would make it. She is definitely one of the better players in the class and should be NC player of the year. It will most likely come down to her and Grissett and it will depend on who leads their team the furthest this year. I'm not impressed with bailey. She's very robotic and very slow. While being a McDAA is a great honor I don't think she'll live up to the billing especially at UNC. Looking forward to seeing Boykin play though, especially against SC next year.

Reaction Score
now we don't have to hear "UConn gets all the MCDonalds All-Americans"
We'll still hear it lol... that will never change... rather than coaching up to Uconn, they'll complain about us getting all the good players...

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
She was NOT a McDonald's AA.

There are many HS AA awards. I'm just tracking McDAA as it seems to be the list most refer too.

Azura Stevens:

Ranking: No. 57 (Prospect Nation), No. 55 (Blue Star), No. 27 (ASGR), No. 23 (Girls Basketball Report/HoopGurlz)

She was a Parade All-America selection, but not McDonalds.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Azura Stevens:

Ranking: No. 57 (Prospect Nation), No. 55 (Blue Star), No. 27 (ASGR), No. 23 (Girls Basketball Report/HoopGurlz)

She was a Parade All-America selection, but not McDonalds.

She wasnt even the NC player of the year. I do believe she finished in the top 5 in voting though.

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
You know, it is a nice honor to get as a HS kid, but it really signifies less than whichever HS ranking system you subscribe to, or all of them combined, and they are notoriously inaccurate in general for predicting college performance.

It is sort of like 'winning the off-season' in a professional sport - most of those winners don't actually perform very well when the winning actually is tied to a score in the actual games.

I do not believe it is the fault of the services for not predicting college performances of the players.

First of all, he rankings are done at definitive point in time, measuring where the players are with respect to their peers, with some allowance for potential.

Second, high school rankings cannot take into account or factored into the equation how someone build the one in college simply because there are too many variables. As an example, if a player chooses to attend Connecticut and he's coached by Geno Auriemma, the player will arguably receive better coaching and from the coach at another school. How can the ranking services factor how coaching will impact recruits?

Third, the rankings cannot take into count how players adjust in college. For example, if a player is incredibly homesick and it impacts her performance, how is this something that the recruiting services ought to know when doing evaluations before the player has even set foot on a college campus?

Fourth, if a player does not participate in AAU and is not as visible as many tournaments, the recruiting services do not have as many opportunities to see and evaluate the player.

To me, the rankings are reflections of where players are in the tournaments in which they've been seeing. They are at a definitive point in time in high school. They are not, in my estimation, a way to predict college performance. The recruiting services are evaluators of talent and basketball perfomances, not stand-ins for the amazing Kreskin.

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
She wasnt even the NC player of the year. I do believe she finished in the top 5 in voting though.

2014 SWAC Player of the Year and North Carolina District 5 Player of the Year selection

2014 USA Today All-North Carolina First Team, Associated Press All-State, All-SWAC First Team and North Carolina Basketball Coaches Association All-State First Team selection

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
2014 SWAC Player of the Year and North Carolina District 5 Player of the Year selection

2014 USA Today All-North Carolina First Team, Associated Press All-State, All-SWAC First Team and North Carolina Basketball Coaches Association All-State First Team selection

Jamie Cherry was the AP State player of the year.... Jatarie White was Runner-up. Stevens finished in 3rd place. White was the Gatorade State player of the year.

Reaction Score
Who cares it's all propaganda... Ratings mean nothing. It's all about what u do in college and how u develop as a player. I will take our incoming class over any of the players from Tennessee in a heart beat. Our players will develop into national champions at Tennessee not so much. GENO doesn't care about ratings or polls it's about player development. UCONN doesn't have to prove anything to anyone there success speaks for itself.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom