Maybe we belong in the AAC | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Maybe we belong in the AAC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
UConn doesn't belong in the AAC but some of its "fans" certainly do.

Same snow from our early years of the Big East. We'll never win, we don't belong, we should downgrade to a league where we can compete...

Yet these same people are the ones leading the parade when we win.

Reaction Score
They way we played today maybe the AAC is right where we belong. Just a plain piss poor performance. That was a bottom of the barrel ACC team and we were shredded.
If we don't belong in the P5, neither does Syracuse. I didn't see them being a superior team to us, yet they are P5. No one is saying they don't belong. No one is saying Virginia doesn't belong.

You could argue UConn dominated most of the Syracuse game. Syracuse had one player we could not handle, and unfortunately, our coach made no adjustment at all to slow him down. Otherwise, we stifled Syracuse. That game was ours for the taking.

If we look solely at football, I could likely list 20 other 'P5' programs who 'don't belong' either based on current football performance. Are we (or they) on par with Alabama in football? Of course not. But we are at least competitive with those 20 P5 schools this year... (a sub par year)... and this is while recruiting under a G5 flag. We do have more potential than many P5 schools on equal footing.

Now beyond football, we have elite MBB & WBB programs, very good olympic sports, top notch facilities, we are a state flagship university that's very highly ranked academically. We own a good market between two of the largest cities in the country. 1/2 to 3/4 of the P5 can't rival that resume...especially those 20 or so P5 programs who are also struggling in football right now. Why do they all 'belong' and we don't?

The fact that they are all in and we are out is more a matter of circumstances than it is based on resume. There are many P5 programs that have had no real success in ANY sport! It's rather infuriating when people say we don't belong because we are currently struggling in football, as if many of these 'P5' programs have never had a down period. I don't know what it is when our own 'fans' say it.

Last edited:

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
Basketball runs the ship, and our home schedule this year is puke. Not a single non-conference game worth dirt, and our b-ball conference is considered a high mid-major (with the A-10, WCC, and maybe even the emerging Ivy-that is scary). I would much rather play Georgetown, Villanova, Butler, Xavier, Providence, Creighton, etc. in basketball and be considered a power-conference basketball school than play a Houston and Cincy-less AAC basketball schedule where the only decent schools on the schedule will be Memphis and Temple. What we need to do is convince the BE and A-10 to take on some schools (us and Memphis to the BE, Temple and Tulane to the A-10, etc.) who will go eastern independent with us. That will be a step up IF we do it right (aka let the BE let us have our Tier 3 rights; they want our brand bad enough-we officially cement them as a power conference in not just perception but brand, especially if Memphis goes too).
We can still play 3-5 P5 schools in football, BYU, UCF, USF, Notre Dame some years, Army, Navy, etc. I can live with that.

Reaction Score
Be careful. Everything you said is true. You will be labeled as a troll. People here liken UConn sports to a unicorn that farts rainbows.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Be careful. Everything you said is true. You will be labeled as a troll. People here liken UConn sports to a unicorn that farts rainbows.

Thanks for your insightful, brilliant observation. Now that you've shared it, will you please, finally, drop dead?

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Maybe you belong on the wrong end of a Fishy throat punch for starting this dumb@ss thread.

Reaction Score
Lol! Too funny. Way too prove the point of this thread. We are all UConn fans - albeit some of us more realistic and/or defensive than others. Some homers as well. All are welcome but we should acknowledge that delusions are very pervasive in college sports, and they accomplish nothing other than letting down those who believe them. Sad. It's time to stop being so angry and insecure and realize what we need to do to move forward.

Reaction Score
I've finally figured out your angle. You are here to be the board contrarian, gumming up every thread with your "I know more than you'll ever know. So just take my word for it" nonsense.
I deal with so many problems during the day, but the thought of dealing with your pervasive inferiority complex is overwhelming. Best of luck to you.

Reaction Score
Lol! Too funny. Way too prove the point of this thread. We are all UConn fans - albeit some of us more realistic and/or defensive than others. Some homers as well. All are welcome but we should acknowledge that delusions are very pervasive in college sports, and they accomplish nothing other than letting down those who believe them. Sad. It's time to stop being so angry and insecure and realize what we need to do to move forward.

Whether you're a troll or fan, whether your proposition is correct or incorrect, you have made the same point over and over and over again. You're just boring. Please go away.

Reaction Score
Whether you're a troll or fan, whether your proposition is correct or incorrect, you have made the same point over and over and over again. You're just boring. Please go away.
A fan and correct....thanks for inquiring. I would stop but the message is clearly not getting through to so many folks. A real shame some would say. You are more than welcome to ignore me.

Reaction Score
I thought that Cuse was mighty vulnerable after USF whomped them...but every game is a different game...

I suspect that Houston and USF will be tough for a win...and Cincy won't be a pushover.

Look at you lumping USF in with Houston as if they're on the same level! Does this have something to do with trying to make FSU's win over them look better than it was?

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score
Look at you lumping USF in with Houston as if they're on the same level! Does this have something to do with trying to make FSU's win over them look better than it was?

*In best Baylor OCC schedule voice* "You mean wins against Towson, Northern Illinois and Syracuse aren't a sign of strength?"

Reaction Score

Ironically he has been asked to leave over and over again. I'm guessing he isn't leaving so you might be better off to just put him on ignore so you can only interact with people who have similar opinions to yours.

As far as the AAC the best way to prove you don't belong is to dominate these "lesser" schools in more than just WBB.

Reaction Score

Good lord you are paranoid. You think he is pretending USF's win against Cuse was great to make FSU's win over them look better?? LMAO

He is pointing out the strength of the AAC with solid programs. On top of USF, Houston, and Cinci I think you can look at SMU, ECU, UCF, and Memphis as schools with young coaches who will be tough to beat in the coming seasons. AAC is no slouch in FB.

Reaction Score
Good lord you are paranoid. You think he is pretending USF's win against Cuse was great to make FSU's win over them look better?? LMAO

He is pointing out the strength of the AAC with solid programs. On top of USF, Houston, and Cinci I think you can look at SMU, ECU, UCF, and Memphis as schools with young coaches who will be tough to beat in the coming seasons. AAC is no slouch in FB.

No Kyle...All I pointed out was what I thought were tough games ahead for the Huskies....Houston (obviously), Cinci and USF (less obvious but still tough).

I think that in each of these games, the opponent will be favored. USF has been averaging about 45 points a game....Houston is Top 10...and Cincinnati's loss is to Houston.

Very conceivable that these games will be tough ones.

Reaction Score
If we can't beat SU, I wouldn't count on beating BC at BC. BC's defense is legit. Also, UCF is a much improved team from last season. They were racking up the points last night against FIU. I guess we can pray for cold weather when they come to town.
BC's D gave up 49 to VT and 10 to Wagner. The D is very over rated based on how good they were last year. Kind of like how Uconn fans over rated the D coming into this year.

Reaction Score
No Kyle...All I pointed out was what I thought were tough games ahead for the Huskies....Houston (obviously), Cinci and USF (less obvious but still tough).

I think that in each of these games, the opponent will be favored. USF has been averaging about 45 points a game....Houston is Top 10...and Cincinnati's loss is to Houston.

Very conceivable that these games will be tough ones.

Kyle?? I think you responded to the wrong post. Should have been #39.

Reaction Score
If we don't belong in the P5, neither does Syracuse. I didn't see them being a superior team to us, yet they are P5. No one is saying they don't belong. No one is saying Virginia doesn't belong.

You could argue UConn dominated most of the Syracuse game. Syracuse had one player we could not handle, and unfortunately, our coach made no adjustment at all to slow him down. Otherwise, we stifled Syracuse. That game was ours for the taking.

If we look solely at football, I could likely list 20 other 'P5' programs who 'don't belong' either based on current football performance. Are we (or they) on par with Alabama in football? Of course not. But we are at least competitive with those 20 P5 schools this year... (a sub par year)... and this is while recruiting under a G5 flag. We do have more potential than many P5 schools on equal footing.

Now beyond football, we have elite MBB & WBB programs, very good olympic sports, top notch facilities, we are a state flagship university that's very highly ranked academically. We own a good market between two of the largest cities in the country. 1/2 to 3/4 of the P5 can't rival that resume...especially those 20 or so P5 programs who are also struggling in football right now. Why do they all 'belong' and we don't?

The fact that they are all in and we are out is more a matter of circumstances than it is based on resume. There are many P5 programs that have had no real success in ANY sport! It's rather infuriating when people say we don't belong because we are currently struggling in football, as if many of these 'P5' programs have never had a down period. I don't know what it is when our own 'fans' say it.

Damn straight!

Reaction Score

But it is not P5. Which is what the basketball program needs to survive. Basketball must be protected. It is what made UConn, well, UConn.

Reaction Score
But it is not P5. Which is what the basketball program needs to survive. Basketball must be protected. It is what made UConn, well, UConn.

Basketball has little to do with the p-5 IMO. That sport is completely ran by the NCAA and every school in every conference has a chance to win a championship every year with a defined path of winning the conference and then winning the tournament. Not even the almighty Notre Dame has an advantage in BB. That is also why we see so many non p5 schools do well in the tournament from Wichita ST, Butler, VCU, Villanova, Gonzaga, etc... It's not nearly as rigged as football.

But I do understand your point about protecting the ADs greatest asset, the BB program.

Basketball is quite opposite of Football when it comes right down to it with p-5 conferences and ESPN running the show with most conferences/schools being eliminated before the season even starts and no realistic path to the championship. At best there is a path to a new years day bowl but even that excludes about half the schools who have no shot such as Sun Belt, C-USA, and most years the MAC, and MW. Essentially the AAC has a new year's bowl spot unless Boise has a really great season.

I personally think that the AAC is going to be expanding and trying to obtain a better TV contract sometime soon. I could see the conference being able to get a contract like the one the BE was offered and turned down. Schools like the service academies and BYU are a nice compliment to the rest of the conference which has some impressive academics as well.. At that point it might not quite be p-5 but it would have a better TV deal than the BE and excellent exposure for the school.

Reaction Score

Dick. It farts national titles.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34