Maya Does It Again | The Boneyard

Maya Does It Again

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I say put-em on your back girl cause I love watching you Ball. 34Pts

I know everyone has their favorite Uconn Player. She Is Mine.

Not a good way to start the season Mercury in your own house again at that.
Maya is my number one, as well, MaleV! I am currently rewatching all the games from her freshman year at UConn - she played like a senior from her first day. Constantly moving without the ball - looking to contribute in any way she could. Poetry in motion. She was the quintessential team player, but when it was required, she put her team on her back and said, "we're just going to lose today!"

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
M-V-P.

Maya was dissed in the GM voting for this season's MVP, with EDD and Diana getting most of the votes. Maya is perhaps the most prideful player in the league. It's like Jordan or Tiger in their prime--if you diss Maya, you will pay for it.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
M-V-P.

Maya was dissed in the GM voting for this season's MVP, with EDD and Diana getting most of the votes. Maya is perhaps the most prideful player in the league. It's like Jordan or Tiger in their prime--if you diss Maya, you will pay for it.
One interesting thing - we've all seen players shoot a ridiculous number of shots and make very few of them... Maya took 18 shots. By far the most on the team. BUT she made 11 of them. Clearly she was the best option and the hot hand. Good for one of the very best in the world.

Reaction Score
M-V-P.

I never understood that voting either. How in the world do you leave Maya off of that list?

What message is you sending? What in the blue moon are you really saying regarding a person who already has 3 ring in a shorter period of time she has been in the league? Really?

That was a diss.

Reaction Score
I'm trying. I really am. And it's way too soon to pass judgment...but I'm tempted...and so far I'm not very enthused about the WNBA.

Plunked down my $16.99 a week ago. Time constraints limited my initial viewing but last night's matchup seemed like an ideal game to watch in its entirety. Although the WNBA app had been working fine since I'd purchased it, last night was aggravating. Kept being told that no valid subscription existed. 15 minutes later I found a way into the site (using original purchase info) and then settled in to watch.

Impressions: sub-standard officiating, 45 foul shots combined, 40 turnovers combined. Griner absolutely useless- her pay should be withheld for this game. Sad to see D riding the pines as her team mounted its comeback- some vintage passing but a lot of TOs and poor shooting. Maya impressive. But 5 turnovers to 1 assist plus getting some generous calls.

A lot of 1 on 1 and some 2 on 2. But very little good passing and creative team offense. A groaner of a game. I'm spoiled rotten watching Geno Auriemma type team basketball.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
This is my first year with the league pass and I too have some observations:
1. Really poor officiating, countless times the foul is called after the official sees whether the ball goes through the hoop. Officials with absolutely no sightline to a play calling fouls, and ones with clear sight lines missing obvious egregious fouls. Hard to believe, but I am actually missing the officials from WCBB!

2. It is very early in the season, and I hope teams get much tighter, but I can see why Bird and Whalen are the PG options for the USA team. The offensive flow and style of play for most teams is crap. MN has looked great, and even in their losses, Seattle looks well run. LA looks really good, but not based on their guard play.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
This is my first year with the league pass and I too have some observations:
1. Really poor officiating, countless times the foul is called after the official sees whether the ball goes through the hoop. Officials with absolutely no sightline to a play calling fouls, and ones with clear sight lines missing obvious egregious fouls. Hard to believe, but I am actually missing the officials from WCBB!

2. It is very early in the season, and I hope teams get much tighter, but I can see why Bird and Whalen are the PG options for the USA team. The offensive flow and style of play for most teams is crap. MN has looked great, and even in their losses, Seattle looks well run. LA looks really good, but not based on their guard play.
1) On the money

2) Not merely offensive flow, but teams also have poor spacing, players move poorly without the ball, and offensive schemes seem simplistic. On court decisions seem to be player based and not coaching based. On offense and defense players should occasionally be ticket for loitering. Yes, guard play is at best inconsistent. Some of the forwards however are beasts. Some are also stiffs.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
I don't know what is up with BG but up to this point in the season she has looked completely horrible. I am not sure what happened that she took such a huge step back this season. I thought the season in Russia with DT would have very positive effects but it seems to be right the opposite. And most of the fouls that she is committing or just downright stupid fouls. She is void of discipline right now and needs to just quit jawing at the refs and figure out what she is doing wrong.

Phoenix looks disjointed and completely lacking in chemistry. I am very impressed with Bass this season. And Harrison is outplaying Griner. Maybe Bass and Harrison should start in place of Griner and Dupree as neither of them is really adding much value at this point.

DT took 12 three pointers and only made two, and she had more TOs than assists. If not for Taylor that game last night would have been much uglier for Phoenix than it was.

Reaction Score
A lot of 1 on 1 and some 2 on 2. But very little good passing and creative team offense. A groaner of a game. I'm spoiled rotten watching Geno Auriemma type team basketball.

I wonder if the abbreviated shot clock (24 sec) - even if only by 6 sec. - does not significantly contribute to (or even be designed to promote) the kind of 1-on-1 basketball we see in the pros. The complaint we often hear in the college game is not enough offense, but surely there ought to be room for appreciating intricate strategies on defense as well as offense. The pro game by contrast often resembles pin-ball action, to me at least.

This season of WNBA action I have witnessed has been more satisfying than not, perhaps due to the competitiveness of the games, but also to the sheer skill on the floor. But I agree, defense and offense seems far more simplistic than the college brand (at least as UCONN plays it). Like the NBA its a shooters league.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom