Maya Cheers on Streak Run | The Boneyard

Maya Cheers on Streak Run

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
"I don't feel like it's their streak and we have our streak. We all kind of share everything this school accomplishes," Moore said in a phone interview with The Associated Press. "I've watched them play a couple of times. They are the same UConn, same unselfish passing. I'm proud of who they are and who they can be. That's why I want them to succeed."

Maya Moore hopes UConn shatters own record winning streak

This is the strongest sports family in US athletics. What has been built is unprecedented.

As to her own 90 streak, she sounds like Geno about championships.

"It was such a big deal to us when we did it," Moore said. "Maybe not in the moment, but looking back, it's such a legacy-defining accomplishment. The first to win 90 games in a row. Big picture, no one can take away from that streak, that time together, the uniqueness of that group we had over those games."

Reaction Score
And that's precisely one of the five (obvious, but obvious doesn't mean untrue) reasons for UConn's success that ESPN posted yesterday: the continuity and loyalty of the whole program. It is a big family (more or less) and they celebrate success as if it were their own.

What you say, Rocky: This is the strongest sports family in US athletics. What has been built is unprecedented.

CTyankee

Proud member of King Geno's Court
Reaction Score
Kara (or maybe Megan) said on SNY after the 90th that there is a group of alum players of 35 or so that gets together at the Final Four every year... I don't know if UConn sponsors it or if Geno does or if its the alum players themselves or if it's unofficial or official and whether the current players attend, but how I would love to see all these great players get together and hobnob a bit... To me that's the true UConn culture being passed on from generation to generation...

Reaction Score
Kara (or maybe Megan) said on SNY after the 90th that there is a group of alum players of 35 or so that gets together at the Final Four every year... I don't know if UConn sponsors it or if Geno does or if its the alum players themselves or if it's unofficial or official and whether the current players attend, but how I would love to see all these great players get together and hobnob a bit... To me that's the true UConn culture being passed on from generation to generation...
They were all in the stands (about 15 rows behind the Syracuse bench!) for the NC last year, and then they came down on court to party with the team after the game. If you replay the game, you'll see them.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
"I don't feel like it's their streak and we have our streak. We all kind of share everything this school accomplishes," Moore said in a phone interview with The Associated Press. "I've watched them play a couple of times. They are the same UConn, same unselfish passing. I'm proud of who they are and who they can be. That's why I want them to succeed."

Maya Moore hopes UConn shatters own record winning streak

This is the strongest sports family in US athletics. What has been built is unprecedented.

As to her own 90 streak, she sounds like Geno about championships.

"It was such a big deal to us when we did it," Moore said. "Maybe not in the moment, but looking back, it's such a legacy-defining accomplishment. The first to win 90 games in a row. Big picture, no one can take away from that streak, that time together, the uniqueness of that group we had over those games."
Man Rocky. Talk about nailing it on the head. "The strongest sports family in US athletics".

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
And Geno always sponsors a dinner for any former team members who make it to the FF city - not sure if they get Uconn tickets for the games or if they need to buy their own, but suspect it is all arranged through the basketball offices. We had a thread last april with the picture after the game of them all on and in front of the stage - trying to identify the old timers - I think we finally got it all nailed down and there were some from the late 1980s/early 1990s teams through to the recent grads. And of course gene doesn't even take your call if you haven't completed your college degree.

Reaction Score
Did you see the picture from the 2016 Final Four of all the alums? It says volumes about Geno and CD

CTyankee

Proud member of King Geno's Court
Reaction Score
Haaa... I don't remember seeing that picture, but spent the last 10-15 minutes enjoying it... Kaili, Maria, Svetlana, Ajsha and a bunch of others... I never would have recognized them in the picture without the cheaters... The future is in good hands...

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Haaa... I don't remember seeing that picture, but spent the last 10-15 minutes enjoying it... Kaili, Maria, Svetlana, Ajsha and a bunch of others... I never would have recognized them in the picture without the cheaters... The future is in good hands...
Sometime back in April there was a very long thread as we tried to identify every one of them - someone nicely created an copy with numbers on each person, and over time the names were filled in with a few debates on some.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Alum.jpg

Reaction Score
Maya is a great player, a wonderful ambassador for her university and her game, and class personified.

Agreed. When I read her comments, I didn't expect anything different than what she said. What a great player but even better person.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hipline

Top Bottom