Max Cummins to Texas. | The Boneyard

Max Cummins to Texas.

Reaction Score
Had no other offers when he committed to UConn right?

Is he better now than when he was committed to us.

Reaction Score
Nah.. He had other offers from Army, Brown, Columbia, Houston Baptist, Liberty and Tennessee Tech when he committed and UConn took a beating for beating out Houston Baptist and Liberty for a football recruit. He decommitted after change when he picked up offer from Houston (then UCF and Baylor).

They didn't "miss" on this one in the end (now let's see what he does on field).

Reaction Score
I was one of the most vocal critics of the other offers our recruits had/have.

My point today is the same as it was then.

Few, even some, of those kids will become good college football players.

But the margin of error when landing all 2 star players is very, very slim. That coach has to be better than everyone else at not only identifying the talent, but also better at helping develop those players physically, technically, and mentally.

Congrats and best of luck to him, but there's no reason to think we can't or won't have anyone that becomes a better player than him just because he's at Texas. But look at their recruiting class and tell me which one is better top to bottom.

No, I'm not saying we should win recruits against Texas. But how about Tulane, Tulsa, ECU and Temple?

Reaction Score
Congrats and best of luck to him, but there's no reason to think we can't or won't have anyone that becomes a better player than him just because he's at Texas. But look at their recruiting class and tell me which one is better top to bottom.

You have me confused w/ what you are saying there?

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
To be fair HM nobody would kill the staff for beating Liberty and Houston Baptist for any individual player - it's when it's three dozen over three classes that you have to ask what the hell is going on.

When you white knuckle Maine - it's fair to ask the questions.

If you can go 7-5/8-4 without any 'on paper' recruiting success you get the benefit of the doubt.

Reaction Score
To be fair HM nobody would kill the stafffor beating Liberty and Houston Baptist for any individual player - it's when it's three dozen over three classes that you have to ask what the hell is going on.
I always go back to how much bloviating Diaco did over the "mess he inherited", yet the players he recruited couldn't push the mess off the field on a losing team. That's an indictment of his recruiting prowess.

Reaction Score
I enjoy killing Diaco but even I wouldn't claim his staff batted .000

That's quite an escalation.

You can toss Baylor offers out the window these days but Houston and Texas is impressive.

To be fair HM nobody would kill the stafffor beating Liberty and Houston Baptist for any individual player - it's when it's three dozen over three classes that you have to ask what the hell is going on.

I get that as they are all viewed through different lenses at different times. It wasn't meant to be a vindication or defense of Diaco but moreso the fact that there are late bloomers out there.

In the month+ since Rhule's been hired - his class is ranked 60th. Not bad from the one commit he inherited.

Reaction Score
You have me confused w/ what you are saying there?
It wasn't directed at you, or anyone in particular.

Just a comment that a class full of kids only recruited by FCS and low level FBS programs is going to be well below even AAC standards.

I'm not disagreeing with what you posted.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
I get that as they are all viewed through different lenses at different times. It wasn't meant to be a vindication or defense of Diaco but moreso the fact that there are late bloomers out there.

In the month+ since Rhule's been hired - his class is ranked 60th. Not bad from the one commit he inherited.

Not sure I agree with that. Texas should be top 25 with Diaco coming in as coach. I would think Herman coming in would cause kids to flip to Texas from other schools. I think by signing day it will be a different story...but being 60th doesn't sound good to me.

Reaction Score
I always go back to how much bloviating Diaco did over the "mess he inherited", yet the players he recruited couldn't push the mess off the field on a losing team. That's an indictment of his recruiting prowess.

EXACTLY THIS!!!!! It is frankly shocking how few sophomores and freshman were contributing to this team last year.

Reaction Score

Of course there are late bloomers. And of course kids will outperform their "recruiting ranking" and offer list. But like others have said, you can't fill your roster with these types of kids and then wonder why we struggle to beat Maine.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Well I certainly missed when I lumped his de-commitment in with Byczko and Dickens. Clearly Max is a notch above. Congrats to him.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
So if we still had Diaco, and this kid got a few of these offers because he had a solid senior season, and then decided to back out of his commitment to us, would it be story #2 on CFB Live on ESPN?

Just curious because this happens all the time both ways. Coaches pull offers when coaching changes and kids back out when better schools come sniffing around. Yet somehow UCONN is the root of all this evil! SMH

Reaction Score
EXACTLY THIS!!!!! It is frankly shocking how few sophomores and freshman were contributing to this team last year.

As much as I didn't like what Diaco was doing, especially with all the DE/LB/TE recruiting, his recruited players were getting on the field even though the players were young. His first full recruiting class was 2015 and those kids would now be Sophomores and RS Freshmen. His second full recruiting class were Freshmen last year and we have no idea how good they are as only Williams played (a HUGE mistake). Diaco knew, just like Edsall knew, that for UConn to succeed you need to redshirt and develop players. Unfortunately, in his first year, he didn't have the ability to redshirt which is why we saw Newsome, Johnson, Bloom, Carrezola, Hashemi, Rutherford, McAllister, Diggs, and Summers play as true Freshmen. That is way too many true Freshmen that had to play.

On the offensive 2 deep, 4 starters were recruited by Diaco plus Bloom and Newsome who were in his first recruiting class, but verballed to PP. 6 offensive backups on the 2 deep were recruited by Diaco. On defense, 2 starters were recruited by Diaco plus Carrezola who was recruited by PP, but in Diaco's first class. 5 backups on the 2 deep were recruited by Diaco.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
As much as I didn't like what Diaco was doing, especially with all the DE/LB/TE recruiting, his recruited players were getting on the field even though the players were young. His first full recruiting class was 2015 and those kids would now be Sophomores and RS Freshmen. His second full recruiting class were Freshmen last year and we have no idea how good they are as only Williams played (a HUGE mistake). Diaco knew, just like Edsall knew, that for UConn to succeed you need to redshirt and develop players. Unfortunately, in his first year, he didn't have the ability to redshirt which is why we saw Newsome, Johnson, Bloom, Carrezola, Hashemi, Rutherford, McAllister, Diggs, and Summers play as true Freshmen. That is way too many true Freshmen that had to play.

On the offensive 2 deep, 4 starters were recruited by Diaco plus Bloom and Newsome who were in his first recruiting class, but verballed to PP. 6 offensive backups on the 2 deep were recruited by Diaco. On defense, 2 starters were recruited by Diaco plus Carrezola who was recruited by PP, but in Diaco's first class. 5 backups on the 2 deep were recruited by Diaco.

Jim, that doesn't sound very impressive to me at all. And Diaco has had zero impact recruits on the field thus far. Now, I am excited about Skanes, Vickers, Hopkins, Dixon, Herring, Coyle, etc, but at this hr, Diaco's recruiting has been ineffective.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

Getting on the field young is different than contributing anything. 44 people have to make the two deep whether 44 players are capable of it or not.

The transition class when we switched to Diaco hs players who have made a real contribution. Those players are now seniors or redshirt juniors. But the class below it -- those who have two full years in the program -- who has really helped the team win games? Hergey, Beals and McLean play -- someone has to play -- but have any of them reminded us of what Kashmir or Jeffries gave us their first two years at UConn? Peart -- certainly coming along well. Tyler Davis? That's it on offense. On D, what did that class give us? After 2 years, I can only think of one defender who took a meaningful snap -- Robinson III at CB. And that was after horrific failures by others in the secondary. And yes, it's too early to make judgements on the 2016 class, but as horrific as we were last year the only redshirts we used were a long snapper, a walk on FB (who was the only FB on the roster) and Donovan Williams. As many holes as we had, Diaco didn't think he had immediate help from this class.

So I stick to my belief: as bad as we've been the last two years, it is not a good sign how little help we have received to date from Diaco's two full recruiting classes.

Reaction Score
Jim, that doesn't sound very impressive to me at all. And Diaco has had zero impact recruits on the field thus far. Now, I am excited about Skanes, Vickers, Hopkins, Herring, Colye, etc, but at this hr, Diaco's recruiting has been ineffective.

12/22 on the offensive 2 deep and 8/22 on the defensive 2 deep were recruited by or were in Diaco's first class but recruited by PP. Those are respectable numbers for young players. By the way, UConn had one of the lowest numbers of senior starters in FBS, but had the second highest Junior starters. The Junior starter numbers are skewed because Diaco did not redshirt many kids in his first class.

I think the reasons we don't see many impact players from Diaco are due to the limited sample size as only one of Diaco's full recruiting classes has hit the field, the bend, but not break defense which does not create playmakers, the lack of skill player recruitment (only one RB recruited by Diaco has seen the field as he redshirted the other 2), and general overall poor offensive schemes.

Reaction Score
Getting on the field young is different than contributing anything. 44 people have to make the two deep whether 44 players are capable of it or not.

The transition class when we switched to Diaco hs players who have made a real contribution. Those players are now seniors or redshirt juniors. But the class below it -- those who have two full years in the program -- who has really helped the team win games? Hergey, Beals and McLean play -- someone has to play -- but have any of them reminded us of what Kashmir or Jeffries gave us their first two years at UConn? Peart -- certainly coming along well. Tyler Davis? That's it on offense. On D, what did that class give us? After 2 years, I can only think of one defender who took a meaningful snap -- Robinson III at CB. And that was after horrific failures by others in the secondary. And yes, it's too early to make judgements on the 2016 class, but as horrific as we were last year the only redshirts we used were a long snapper, a walk on FB (who was the only FB on the roster) and Donovan Williams. As many holes as we had, Diaco didn't think he had immediate help from this class.

So I stick to my belief: as bad as we've been the last two years, it is not a good sign how little help we have received to date from Diaco's two full recruiting classes.

Biz, I don't think Diaco recruited well and I think he did not recruit enough impact skill players, but I disagree with a number of your points. The players in the transition year that did not redshirt played as true Juniors this year. They would have looked better as RS Sophomores this year as the expectations would be lower.

If Diaco had redshirted his first class and Mayala played as a true Freshman, UConn's starters would have been 7 seniors, 5 juniors, 8 sophomores, and 2 freshmen. That would have been one of the youngest teams in FBS.

On offense, how can you evaluate any of the WRs based on the schemes, play calling, and QB problems? I think Beals and Mayala look decent and we will find out this year. Chris Lee and Tyler Davis were the backups at TE.

On defense, Marshe Terry and Kevin Murphy also saw snaps and Garland played every game. Three defensive players from that class weren't available as 2 left the program and one was suspended.

Reaction Score
Biz, I don't think Diaco recruited well and I think he did not recruit enough impact skill players, but I disagree with a number of your points. The players in the transition year that did not redshirt played as true Juniors this year. They would have looked better as RS Sophomores this year as the expectations would be lower.

If Diaco had redshirted his first class and Mayala played as a true Freshman, UConn's starters would have been 7 seniors, 5 juniors, 8 sophomores, and 2 freshmen. That would have been one of the youngest teams in FBS.

On offense, how can you evaluate any of the WRs based on the schemes, play calling, and QB problems? I think Beals and Mayala look decent and we will find out this year. Chris Lee and Tyler Davis were the backups at TE.

On defense, Marshe Terry and Kevin Murphy also saw snaps and Garland played every game. Three defensive players from that class weren't available as 2 left the program and one was suspended.

I hear you. I just look at the input from the last two classes against our mediocrity and believe that in the old days you would have seen more impacts from the young uns.

I have not once blamed Diaco for the transition class of 14. Given the situation, I think we -- P, the staff holding it together in P's absence, and then the finish from the new staff -- did well. And yes, that class would look better if all the rising true seniors were only rising RS Jrs.

Reaction Score
I hear you. I just look at the input from the last two classes against our mediocrity and believe that in the old days you would have seen more impacts from the young uns.

I have not once blamed Diaco for the transition class of 14. Given the situation, I think we -- P, the staff holding it together in P's absence, and then the finish from the new staff -- did well. And yes, that class would look better if all the rising true seniors were only rising RS Jrs.

One more point. Disco's 2016 class had more of a focus on impact skill players. We will see if they can play over the next 2 years, but we could see contributions from a number of players next year including Vickers and Hopkins at RB, Skanes as a slot and a returner, Dixon at WR, Coyle, Hahn, and Herring at DB.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
One more point. Disco's 2016 class had more of a focus on impact skill players. We will see if they can play over the next 2 years, but we could see contributions from a number of players next year including Vickers and Hopkins at RB, Skanes as a slot and a returner, Dixon at WR, Coyle, Hahn, and Herring at DB.
This is where we will find out if Diaco manged to recruit any + players at all. These are the guys are anxious to see in 2017. By '+', I mean players that are better than the opposition. So far, his recruits that have seen the field on average have been below our competition.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom