Matt Walsh Article by Jeff J | The Boneyard

Matt Walsh Article by Jeff J

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Nice article by JJ.

http://www.courant.com/sports/other/hc-jacobs-column-1019-20121018,0,6606367.column

For Now, UConn-Bound Walsh And Hand-Madison Sitting On Top Of The World

Jeff Jacobs
11:01 p.m. EDT, October 18, 2012

MADISON — He scored five touchdowns last week in the most-anticipated Connecticut high school football game in years. His Hand-Madison Tigers beat the No. 1 team in the state hands down in the second half, ending Xavier-Middletown's 30-game winning streak.

Throw in a handsome shock of light brown hair, blue eyes and a scholarship to State U, and yeah, life is good these days for Matt Walsh.

How abruptly it can end Friday night.

"We saw how Xavier felt after their loss," Walsh said Thursday before Hand, the new No. 1 in the state polls, made final preparations for No. 8 West Haven. "We know how hard it was for us to get to this point and we're not going to let it slip. It's time for us to play like we are the No. 1 team in the state."

Walsh is a tackling machine at middle linebacker. He amassed 170 last year and he continues in his senior season to terrorize. Yet it wasn't a sideline-to-sideline tackle against West Haven or Casey Cochran's Masuk team last season that cemented Walsh's chance to live his dream of playing for UConn.

It was a block. And it was the first play from scrimmage in the CIAC Class L state championship victory over New Canaan at Rentschler Field.

"We ran a power play where Matt was supposed to lead on a corner, but the corner bailed for some reason," Hand coach Steve Filippone said. "Matt did a beautiful job looking back inside and walling off an inside linebacker."

He sprang Kevin Frey for a 70-yard touchdown run. When it was over, Hand had clobbered New Canaan, 34-10. And Walsh? He had an important believer.

"Matt's adjustment set the tone for the game," Filippone said. "He dragged some tacklers with him on a few runs, too. George DeLeone [UConn offensive coordinator] was at the game and he called me the next day and said, 'This kid can play for us.' "

Delaware offered Walsh a scholarship as a linebacker. Temple looked at him seriously. UMass talked to him several times. BC expressed interest before pulling out. There were a slew of I-AA schools. Yet when UConn offered him a scholarship in August, it took him one day to decide. Walsh and his family drove the 55 miles to Storrs and went into coach Paul Pasqualoni's office.
"It was Media Day," Walsh said. "They had an hour free. We made the decision right away. I always loved the place. To be able to play for your home state, there's no better feeling. We started going to watch UConn when I was in the fifth of sixth grade."

Filippone played for Pasqualoni and DeLeone at Southern Connecticut in the 1970s. "If there are two finer guys in the world somebody tell me who they are," Filippone said. "To have one our kids under their wing is something we're really happy about."

Although Walsh is essentially a part-time offensive player at Hand, Filippone is in agreement with UConn's decision to recruit him as a fullback. "No question," said Filippone. "He is fast enough, certainly tough enough for fullback. He'll weigh 235 to 240 by the time he gets up there. I don't know if he's flat-out fast enough at linebacker, he's a 4.7 [in the 40] type kid. They want those linebackers to cover guys out of the backfield and down field. He may not be able to do that. I will say that if they're in a pinch for a linebacker he's where I'd start looking. At I-AA, he could definitely play linebacker."

Walsh favorite players? Well, he was raving about Yawin Smallwood and Sio Moore.

"Linebacker is my main position now," Walsh said. "But I want to play the position that will get me on the field the fastest. So fullback is what I'm most excited about. I played almost the entire second half [against Xavier] but they usually only put me in when they need another dimension on offense. They want to keep me healthy."

Can the kid block? "Extraordinary," Filippone said. "He absolutely blows people up."

Can he run?"He's not running away from defenses, but he's tough to tackle," Filippone said. "He has great leg drive and tremendous strength in his hips. And he's very good at catching the ball. He played wide receiver as a freshman."

Filippone said Walsh would be the best player at virtually every position on his team.

"Matt is smart and he's relentless in his performance and preparation," Filippone said. "On the field, he calls all our signals. Off the field, he lifts the extra day to improve strength."

Yet it is Walsh's ability to help his teammates find their strengths that Filippone says is his unique quality.

"He is one of the few kids who really understands how to lead," said Filippone, who has won six state titles at Hand. "This is my 24th season, I've probably had about 60 captains and he's in the top five in that category.

"He has a great quality of not demanding of others what he does, but do the best they can do. He's not telling them be like me, it's you got to find out what works for you."

Filippone did get a chuckle out of all the reports how Walsh led Hand in the 40-20 triumph over Xavier with his five TDs.

"His offensive performance was overrated," Fillipone said, laughing. "He had the ball in his hands five times and he scored five touchdowns on like 27 yards. That's all we asked him to do. Defensively, he was magnificent."

After playing what Filippone called a lousy first half, the Tigers were down only 20-14.

"At halftime, there was no panic," he said. "I asked them, 'After all the hype, do you think those guys in the other locker room are invincible?' They looked me in the eye and said, 'No way.' They knew after the first half Xavier was just another team and we were the better team and we were going to win."

Walsh agreed. "They knew what was at stake," he said. "They probably played the best game they have this year. So did we. It was too much for them."

Because the entire Connecticut focus was on this one game, Filippone said, it was a bigger-than-state championship environment.

"Now all of a sudden we have to come out here, refocus and convince them the team we're playing this week is better than Xavier. Our message: 'Guys you climbed to the top of the mountain and you may only be there for five days.' "

West Haven better than Xavier? Really?

"I think they are," Filippone said. "They're not as good on defense maybe. With Xavier you've got to stop DeAngelo Berry and Tim Boyle from throwing the ball to good but not tremendous receivers. The whole deal with Xavier is Berry is going to run the ball on these three plays and nobody in 30 games figured out how to stop them. We did."

Berry, averaging 190 yards per game, had 48.

"West Haven can hit you from three different directions with different backs," Filippone said. "Berry lined up next to Boyle every snap. Ervin Phillips is going to be at wing, slot, fullback, he throws the option pass. You can't play a static defense. He can hurt you in a 100 ways. To me that makes them a far more dangerous offense."

Matt Walsh, soon of State U, will be ready.

pj

Reaction Score
Filippone played for Pasqualoni and DeLeone at Southern Connecticut in the 1970s. "If there are two finer guys in the world somebody tell me who they are," Filippone said. "To have one our kids under their wing is something we're really happy about."

This is what makes me want to give the coaches some time to fix the offense. It's not that easy to find coaches who are universally respected and liked.

But they do have to get the offense going.

Reaction Score
Walsh is a two-star player, I would think UConn could get a higher level prospect. This does not move the ball for them. All of their CT commits, Myers and Walsh, are average players. Higher rated players will not come to play alongside average players.

The Hand coach is full of himself. Lets see his team perform at number 1...I think West Haven can beat them, Xavier has too many holes and its players are slow on defense. mWest Haven's team speed should help them get some distance between their players and the Hand players on both sides of the ball.

pj

Reaction Score
Ftblhound, they're not average players. They are excellent players under-rated by the rating agencies. Myers is a stud athlete who has barely played football, but is already good at it.

Reaction Score
Walsh is a two-star player, I would think UConn could get a higher level prospect. This does not move the ball for them. All of their CT commits, Myers and Walsh, are average players. Higher rated players will not come to play alongside average players.

The Hand coach is full of himself. Lets see his team perform at number 1...I think West Haven can beat them, Xavier has too many holes and its players are slow on defense. mWest Haven's team speed should help them get some distance between their players and the Hand players on both sides of the ball.

Must have gotten beaten by Hand eh?

Reaction Score
Must have gotten beaten by Hand eh?
Walsh is the definition of a two star player an there's nothing wrong with that . He can help uconn and can get a good bit bigger than he is now. West Haven is way more dynamic and use their best players more effectively than Xavier's 7 play offense...but they are probably going to lose, Hand has shut down two of the better run games there are...but west haven is very fast And will catch hands offensive players.

Reaction Score
Earvin P is a player that bears watching if he can eat injury bug.

Reaction Score
Yeah best rb. Prospect In the state IMO , if we havent offered by now it could be a problem. Reminds me of a slower Percy Harvin type of player, could easily be a 3 star prospect.. He could very well be shutdown today though

Reaction Score
http://pucciblognhr.blogspot.com/

Hand 21, West Haven 20

Senior Matt Walsh scored on a 1-yard run with 5:54 remaining to break a tied game, and then sophomore Tyler Phan booted the successful point after kick, as No. 1 Hand prevailed with a 21-20 SCC Division I East victory over the No.8 Westies Saturday at the Surf Club in Madison.

On the ensuing West Haven possession, Ervin Philips scored on a 1-yard run, but the pass on the 2-point conversion fell short, and the Tigers (6-0) survived.

Walsh carried six times for 51 yards and two scores for Hand. Ian O'Toole had a four-yard touchdown run and Brendan Bilcheck completed 22-of-27 passes for 169 yards.

Philips finished with 86 yards on 17 carries and two scores. Eddy Williams rushed six times for 59 yards and a touchdown for West Haven (5-1).

Hand has won 19 straight games.

Reaction Score
The Hand coach is full of himself. Lets see his team perform at number 1...I think West Haven can beat them,
Fillipone was one of the authors of the "letter" to Hathaway supporting the hire of P and GDL! If you read Jacobs article Walsh says he has been going to see games at Rentschler since he was 11...this is the reason he wanted to go to UConn! Coaches like Fillipone need to petition the CIAC to get rid of some of their rules that handcuff them in terms of off season team activities.

Reaction Score
Fillipone was one of the authors of the "letter" to Hathaway supporting the hire of P and GDL! If you read Jacobs article Walsh says he has been going to see games at Rentschler since he was 11...this is the reason he wanted to go to UConn! Coaches like Fillipone need to petition the CIAC to get rid of some of their rules that handcuff them in terms of off season team activities.

The letter supported PP not GDL

FDNY - what do you mean by last sentence - you taking practices?

Reaction Score
The letter supported PP not GDL

FDNY - what do you mean by last sentence - you taking practices?
I know that a while back the coach at Windham had a talk with a NJ hs coach and the CIAC rules were VERY strict and rigid about OTA stuff compared to NJ.

Reaction Score
I know that a while back the coach at Windham had a talk with a NJ hs coach and the CIAC rules were VERY strict and rigid about OTA stuff compared to NJ.

Agreed - Coach/Athlete contact is very limited off season. I know even HS baseball is quite restrictive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom