Materials submitted to Big12 released by Uconn | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Materials submitted to Big12 released by Uconn

Reaction Score
This is literally the dumbest take I've ever read.

Do you have like a dart board with bad takes where you create terrible takes by throwing darts and combining the takes where they land.

Throw one: NFL Ratings Decline

Throw two: Millenials

Throw three: Kaepernick.

Ohhhh this is gonna be a good one!
Wait til you read his cesspool garbage!

Reaction Score
An impressive package no doubt and we had basketball accomplishments that the others couldn't show. With all of this the rumor I read was we were middle of the pack among the teams considered. First is that likely true and second if so is the reason strictly football?
Well, in that case, no wonder FOX and ESPN through a fit. The clowns south of dixie could not pick the winner of a one horse race, and there is no way the media companies where gonna pay more for a diluted product headlined by fCan Houstan.

Reaction Score
Scarcasm, but the truth of the matter is, hockey is beginning to die.
This is provably false by numerous metrics, not the least of which are attendance numbers across the sport, which partially includes UConn's Hockey East attendance numbers.

Har har to anyone who has followed my UConn hockey attendance posts in the hockey forum.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
This is provably false by numerous metrics, not the least of which are attendance numbers across the sport, which partially includes UConn's Hockey East attendance numbers.

Har har to anyone who has followed my UConn hockey attendance posts in the hockey forum.

In the debate over hockey's death.. it seems like 3 billion dollars in NHL revenue is more important than UConn's attendance... ;)

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Hey @Dooley I don't know if you had an affect or not but there sure was a lot of Dooley in those presentations. Good on ya.

LOL - rest assured that I had absolutely zero input on any of these presentations...and that's a good thing. My graphic design skills are not even beginner level.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
First and foremost, that all looks really good and does a great job of illustrating what we offer. Couple of points.

1) In one of the letters discussing acceptance to the Big East it goes on to say we then accomplished winning 3 National Titles in basketball as a member of that league, but there was no "and then as a member of the American we won another". It was covered in the graphics just thought it was strange to undersell ourselves. Obviously most local sports fans know we're in the American, but you'd be shocked at fans of the bigger leagues simply have paid no mind to this nonesense.

2) I would have highlighted the impressive victories we've had over the years citing specific teams, but they did cover that with the P5 'wins'.

3) I would have emphasized as @upstater mentioned our impact on the SNY carriage in CT.

4) Separately how can you let Trangheses send the email out with an error as glaring as the West Virginia "road" victory. It was as others mentioned, a home win vs WV earlier and then a road win at USF.

5) Wonder if they had further information regarding $ impact of our travel compared to say a Cincinnati or whoever.

Again, kind of nitpicking, but they did a nice job.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I think there's only one group of schools that walked away from the revenue of high level college athletics willingly. That was the Ivy League, whose graduates run the Supreme Court, the Federal Reserve, the White House, and can raise more alumni donations in a lazy afternoon than most schools can raise in a year.

Perhaps. But others like Rice and Tulane once played with the big boys. I do think there is a bubble, and these dollars won't be available for long. When it comes crashing down, I wouldn't be shocked to see like minded institutions coming together and forming new leagues.

We all talk about the money, but it's not much money. UConn's 70+M a year in revenue would make it a "small business". It's more at UT and Ohio State, but still under $200M I believe. Not really big numbers. The costs of operating these departments exceed the revenue at all but a handful of schools. There are maybe 10-15 that are revenue positive, even in this environment (maybe more soon with the B1G deal). It can't last forever.

If a group of near Ivy schools were to break off and form a league, I wouldn't be disappointed if UConn joined it. Unfortunately, it wouldn't likely be a regional league for us. The best candidates are Duke, Wake, Vandy, Rice, Tulane, Georgia Tech, Northwestern, BC...not sure who else. That would be prestigious company. It's why I'll never complain about being in a league with Tulane. It's the best school in the league.

Reaction Score
Perhaps. But others like Rice and Tulane once played with the big boys. I do think there is a bubble, and these dollars won't be available for long. When it comes crashing down, I wouldn't be shocked to see like minded institutions coming together and forming new leagues.

We all talk about the money, but it's not much money. UConn's 70+M a year in revenue would make it a "small business". It's more at UT and Ohio State, but still under $200M I believe. Not really big numbers. The costs of operating these departments exceed the revenue at all but a handful of schools. There are maybe 10-15 that are revenue positive, even in this environment (maybe more soon with the B1G deal). It can't last forever.

If a group of near Ivy schools were to break off and form a league, I wouldn't be disappointed if UConn joined it. Unfortunately, it wouldn't likely be a regional league for us. The best candidates are Duke, Wake, Vandy, Rice, Tulane, Georgia Tech, Northwestern, BC...not sure who else. That would be prestigious company. It's why I'll never complain about being in a league with Tulane. It's the best school in the league.

Georgia Tech also left the SEC over a pseudo academic issue back in the 60s, basically the school only let them have half as many scholarships as the rest of their conference mates had.

Unfortunately, I don't ever see an issue like that happening again.

Aside from the fact that athletics are a point of pride for a university regardless of academic standing, the massive TV deals that the BC's, Northwestern's and Wake's have are a major benefit for those schools as it's less resources they need to direct towards athletics, freeing up endowment and other donor money to continue investing in research, facilities and faculty - which in turn allows them to continue to be the best.

Those who are in our going to stay in unless forcibly removed (which is next to impossible).

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Georgia Tech also left the SEC over a pseudo academic issue back in the 60s, basically the school only let them have half as many scholarships as the rest of their conference mates had.

Unfortunately, I don't ever see an issue like that happening again.

Aside from the fact that athletics are a point of pride for a university regardless of academic standing, the massive TV deals that the BC's, Northwestern's and Wake's have are a major benefit for those schools as it's less resources they need to direct towards athletics, freeing up endowment and other donor money to continue investing in research, facilities and faculty - which in turn allows them to continue to be the best.

Those who are in our going to stay in unless forcibly removed (which is next to impossible).

20 years from now the money will be gone. Maybe sooner than that. The networks won't keep paying, and so these marriages of monetary convenience will fall apart.

Reaction Score
In the debate over hockey's death.. it seems like 3 billion dollars in NHL revenue is more important than UConn's attendance... ;)
Of course it is, as are a host of other things. I was just trying to veer the conversation at least a bit back towards things relevant to UConn.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
The best candidates are Duke, Wake, Vandy, Rice, Tulane, Georgia Tech, Northwestern, BC..

Of the schools you named, only Georgia Tech is a public. Our peers are Georgia Tech, Virginia, North Carolina, Maryland, Rutgers, Virginia Tech, Penn St, Illinois, Michigan, Ohio St, and Wisconsin. As long as we are coming up with hypothetical conferences, that's the one I'd like to join.

We can let Notre Dame join the conference you proposed. Those are their peers.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Of the schools you named, only Georgia Tech is a public. Our peers are Georgia Tech, Virginia, North Carolina, Maryland, Rutgers, Virginia Tech, Penn St, Illinois, Michigan, Ohio St, and Wisconsin. As long as we are coming up with hypothetical conferences, that's the one I'd like to join.

We can let Notre Dame join the conference you proposed. Those are their peers.

Understood, except Illinois and Wisconsin would be better replaced with Pitt and maybe Purdue geographically (or Syracuse and BC if you aren't eliminating all private schools). I was simply proposing that those high end FBS football playing privates could walk away at some point and form a league that would rival the Ivy league.

Reaction Score
Comparing that with that cheesy USF video - when you don't have the highlights to make up a whole presentation, you get a bunch of unassociated people like Tino Martinez and Tony Dungy to talk about how awesome the school could be. When you can line up all of those trophies in the last shot, you let the video speak for itself.

We could not fit of all our championships into such a short video. We needed more time!

Reaction Score
They did a great job with the presentation of everything.

Definitely has been frustrating as an alum and fan to be left in the dark this whole time, but it's nice to have it confirmed that they were doing what they could behind the scenes.

MattMang23

Reaction Score
Understood, except Illinois and Wisconsin would be better replaced with Pitt and maybe Purdue geographically (or Syracuse and BC if you aren't eliminating all private schools). I was simply proposing that those high end FBS football playing privates could walk away at some point and form a league that would rival the Ivy league.

Pitt is private (They are a state-related, quasi-public. It might be the weirdest arrangement in all of higher education.) which is why I did not include them or Syracuse.

But agree. And I hope they do. More seats at the table for schools who actually want to be there to try to compete.

Reaction Score
Pitt is private (They are a state-related, quasi-public. It might be the weirdest arrangement in all of higher education.) which is why I did not include them or Syracuse.

But agree. And I hope they do. More seats at the table for schools who actually want to be there to try to compete.
Isn't that how many of the schools in PA are classified? Even Penn State because they get very little of their annual funding from the state and have no government appointees on their board. I thought PA had some unusual arrangement like that where they called them "state-related" instead of public like most other states do.

Reaction Score

All schools in Penn have the same set-up--but they are state schools funded by the gov't.

Just because the schools have no state oversight, it doesn't mean they are private.

They are state subsidized with a duty to educate state citizens.

Penn State has the same set-up as Pitt. They don't need to report their financials (but they do it anyway).

Reaction Score
Isn't that how many of the schools in PA are classified? Even Penn State because they get very little of their annual funding from the state and have no government appointees on their board. I thought PA had some unusual arrangement like that where they called them "state-related" instead of public like most other states do.

Correct.

MattMang23

Reaction Score
Then I stand corrected. I understood their categorization wrong.

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score
Then I stand corrected. I understood their categorization wrong.

There really are two systems.... there's PASSHE which is a lot like the directional Connecticut schools (Kutztown, Clarion, UIP, etc)... and then there's Temple, Pitt, and Penn State. I don't think the later three get as much funding from the state. It's just odd.

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score
Scarcasm, but the truth of the matter is, hockey is beginning to die.

Ummm Las Vegas just paid $500 million for a franchise... Hockey's got such a broad international fan base... it's not going anywhere... neither is baseball or basketball. The NFL actually even though it's the biggest now... might have the biggest risk. There's absolutely zero fan interest outside the USA. It's why the games in Mexico City and London keep happening.

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score
I'm not sure that will end up being true. Don't be surprised if some schools get paid to go away and compete at a level where they can have success.

At some point it's going to be very difficult for Clemson and FSU to subsidize say Wake Forest and still grow their top line.

I think the top football programs spinning off might be more likely to happen. They seem happy to play basketball with the Wake Forest and Indiana's... and ESPN seems happy to pay for it. It's not even that they mind playing Wake and Indiana in football every other year... you got to get easy wins somewhere. It's will ESPN and Fox be willing to continue to pay for it.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom