Materials submitted to Big12 released by Uconn | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Materials submitted to Big12 released by Uconn

Reaction Score
People keep saying it, but I just don't ever see the ACC or Big10 ever expanding again. Those schools expanded and closed the doors on that game long ago, they got what they needed. Unless ND joins the ACC full time there is almost no hope of either of these conferences having any motivation to make a move, and I don't ever see ND making a move. They have nothing to gain from it and I really think they enjoy getting to be that one special snowflake that gets to be independent, it's what keeps them relevant each year while continually maintaining mediocrity by Tier 1 standards.

It'd be nice if there was a Temple scenario where they kicked a school out to add one.

Reaction Score
I guarantee B1G and ACC Presidents and ADs are combing through the materials as we speak.
It will probably just harden BC and Syracuse's resolve to not let us anywhere near the ACC's money or primetime viewing.

Reaction Score
Great job, I would only add--for the next time--

1. Mention the SNY rise to $2.65 from $1.40 when they picked up UConn T3

2. Mention SNY went from a small sports tier to basic cable on all Conn. systems, and was picked up by systems that didn't have SNY

3. Don't single out UConn’s putrid football record over the last several years. Why?

4. Up the top amount of UConn players in the NFL (it was in the 20s a few years ago, not a high of 19).

5. Show SNY ratings for tier 3 Sports

6. More info needed on UConn in the 2000s, wins over Baylor, Notre Dame, etc.

7. Bigger emphasis on the fact that 1/3rd of Connecticut is inside the NY City market (only implied elsewhere). Don't highlight Hartford/NewHaven. Instead, combine Hartford/NH with Fairfield. And say it is the 20th biggest market.

Reaction Score
Only troubling thing I see in the Materials is in the Due Diligence, pg 22, Subsidies. That increasing number is awfully scary and shows as we've discussed that current spending is almost assuredly not feasible long-term. We needed this B12 conference invitation.

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
More like we will never go down period.
More like our head is being forcefully held under water by the program's who don't want to see a program with true potential taking their piece of the pie.

Reaction Score
Not just Baylor and Notre Dame, but also Pittsburgh, Louisville, Rutgers, Maryland, Indiana (I think?) among others that are in the P5. The notion that we aren't P5 CFB worthy is ridiculous since we've been beating those teams over the past decade. Granted not at a great clip, but for a school that just made the transition to the same division as those schools not that long ago, a .350-ish winning percentage isn't terrible. What is the typical conference bottom dweller, or even teams in the lower third of a conference, winning percentage against P5 teams?

Reaction Score
Only troubling thing I see in the Materials is in the Due Diligence, pg 22, Subsidies. That increasing number is awfully scary and shows as we've discussed that current spending is almost assuredly not feasible long-term. We needed this B12 conference invitation.

Or one from someone else -- very, very soon. Unfortunately, I do not think either of them need us right now.

Reaction Score
More like our head is being forcefully held under water by the program's who don't want to see a program with true potential taking their piece of the pie.
Mark my words, they will get their comeuppance when the networks tell the B1G we aren't paying Rutgers, Indiana, Purdue, Northwestern, Minnesota, etc. $50M/year. Ohio State, Penn State, Michigan, sure, the other schools no way. When the TV dollars start drying up, it's going to be every school for themselves since you know the schools at the top aren't going to be willing to take a pay cut just because 3/4 of their conference mates in these conferences are virtually worthless.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
Little Susie doesn't really care for athletics, she only wants UConn to be good academics. Egghead likes her booky-wook.;)

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
The Greatest Moments video was pretty awesome but the Academics one sure makes me proud to have UConn as my alma mater. The level of investment in that school is amazing and I'm very jealous I'm not a student now. Very proud of our school and only hope that things continue up both academically and athletically.

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
Mark my words, they will get their comeuppance when the networks tell the B1G we aren't paying Rutgers, Indiana, Purdue, Northwestern, Minnesota, etc. $50M/year. Ohio State, Penn State, Michigan, sure, the other schools no way. When the TV dollars start drying up, it's going to be every school for themselves since you know the schools at the top aren't going to be willing to take a pay cut just because 3/4 of their conference mates in these conferences are virtually worthless.
But that'll never happen? The system is one in which once you're in you're in for good. The decision was made and the contracts were signed, there's really no changing minds anymore. Which adds to the problem, unworthy schools based on the standards we are being held at have been grandfathered into this system of those who "get" to play big time college athletics and those who do not will never really need to worry about competing, they've hit the mother load. Meanwhile they also have zero incentive or motivation to care or feel empathy for those who are deserving left on the outside, and ironically they are the ones who have the power to create change in conference landscapes.

Reaction Score
I would have redacted the lawsuit info before releasing this material to the public.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Standing in the Hall of Fame....you bet your a#$ we are!!!

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
But that'll never happen? The system is one in which once you're in you're in for good. The decision was made and the contracts were signed, there's really no changing minds anymore. Which adds to the problem, unworthy schools based on the standards we are being held at have been grandfathered into this system of those who "get" to play big time college athletics and those who do not will never really need to worry about competing, they've hit the mother load. Meanwhile they also have zero incentive or motivation to care or feel empathy for those who are deserving left on the outside, and ironically they are the ones who have the power to create change in conference landscapes.

I'm not sure that will end up being true. Don't be surprised if some schools get paid to go away and compete at a level where they can have success.

At some point it's going to be very difficult for Clemson and FSU to subsidize say Wake Forest and still grow their top line.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
I'm not sure that will end up being true. Don't be surprised if some schools get paid to go away and compete at a level where they can have success.

At some point it's going to be very difficult for Clemson and FSU to subsidize say Wake Forest and still grow their top line.
Not the point of this thread but what is the number that gets a WF to walk away? Hmm.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Not the point of this thread but what is the number that gets a WF to walk away? Hmm.

I imagine it looks like the kind of deal the ABA teams got from the NBA.

Some sort of long term rights indexed to what the league's media revenues are.

Now the Spirits of St Louis will be in the back of the minds of everyone in this situation, but if they have to
go OTT when the cable money dries up and Clemson can bring 200k subs and Wake can bring 10k - so is it sustainable?

Reaction Score

That was my point. I'm assuming it's a zero sum game - Wake Forest's gain is FSU's loss. Eventually FSU will grow tired of such an arrangement as will the handful of schools in each P5 conference in the same position of supporting the freeloaders. Greed will breed contempt, and that will be the end of the current system and alignments. The only reason it hasn't happened yet is because each TV contract has been bigger than the last. That gravy train is not sustainable forever, at least not in its current configuration, and that's when it will get interesting.

Reaction Score
I imagine it looks like the kind of deal the ABA teams got from the NBA.

Some sort of long term rights indexed to what the league's media revenues are.

Now the Spirits of St Louis will be in the back of the minds of everyone in this situation, but if they have to
go OTT when the cable money dries up and Clemson can bring 200k subs and Wake can bring 10k - so is it sustainable?

It's just another bubble. I'm praying for the day that we go back to 10-12 team regional conferences.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
That was my point. I'm assuming it's a zero sum game - Wake Forest's gain is FSU's loss. Eventually FSU will grow tired of such an arrangement as will the handful of schools in each P5 conference in the same position of supporting the freeloaders. Greed will breed contempt, and that will be the end of the current system and alignments. The only reason it hasn't happened yet is because each TV contract has been bigger than the last. That gravy train is not sustainable forever, at least not in its current configuration, and that's when it will get interesting.

I missed the question mark at the end of your first sentence.

It is going to get interesting

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom