Masahiro Tanaka- Would he make a big difference in the Bronx? | The Boneyard

Masahiro Tanaka- Would he make a big difference in the Bronx?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Looks like the Yanks are going all out for this Japanese right hand hurler who went 24-0 w/1.27 ERA in Japan this year. The bidding would go above $50 Million, but the front office believes that he's the real deal. In dire need of a #1 starter, I hope that they get him. I'm believing he'll be more of a Yu Darvish than a Dice-kay!
There are so many variables with the Yankees next year starting with A-Rod's contract ($30 mil w/incentives). I don't believe that he'll get more than a 100 game suspension in 2014, but that still saves the Yankees about $20 million. They are saving another $93 million according to the front office in 2014 with retirements, free agency and lower contracts.
Two other possibilities in '14 are going after McCann and Carlos Beltran.
Still, the Yankees are committed to staying under $190 million next year, so there's going to be some jugglin' going on!

Reaction Score
Tanaka is the anti-Dice K. He throws strikes, and is noted for his aggression and control. Probably not as good as Darvish, definitely not a #1 starter, maybe a #3. NY has only $89 million in guaranteed contracts as of now for next year. Jeter has a $9 mm player option. They have 12 free agents and the only ones likely to get offers are Cano, Granderson (qualifying offer) and Kuroda (? if he wants to pitch again in MLB or return to Japan). Hal is determined to get under $189, which will reset the revenue sharing and save significant $ for years. They can probably sign Tanaka, Beltran and Cano (not @ $300) and do it, especially if ARod gets a substantial suspension. McCann's name is in play, but I'm not sure why. That's one of the few positions where they have young in-house options.

Reaction Score
I agree on McCann, but they have no power at catcher right now, so that's perhaps why. In a couple of years, maybe with a wealth of catchers: Sanchez, Brown, Romine, and Murphy.
If they do keep to the $189 number it will be the lost payroll since '07!
Also, on Tanaka, it will cost over $100 million to get him. They aren't paying that for a #3!

Reaction Score
Tanaka's last 3 years:

2011 - 226 IP, 9.6 K/9
2012 - 173 IP, 8.8 K/9
2013 - 181 IP, 7.7 K/9

notice a trend here?

Reaction Score
Does that mean he will go 3-18 with no World Series victories?

Nah prefer to look at 2012 and see a 7-1 record with a 2.88 ERA.......;)........pretty easy to pick out that one huh? How about the last few......nice pick up!

Reaction Score
I agree on McCann, but they have no power at catcher right now, so that's perhaps why. In a couple of years, maybe with a wealth of catchers: Sanchez, Brown, Romine, and Murphy.
If they do keep to the $189 number it will be the lost payroll since '07!
Also, on Tanaka, it will cost over $100 million to get him. They aren't paying that for a #3!

Ah, but in the perverse system of MLB - most of that money doesn't "count." Any posting fee is not considered towards your salary total.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Ah, but in the perverse system of MLB - most of that money doesn't "count." Any posting fee is not considered towards your salary total.

Why should it? the Posting fee goes to the Japanese team, not the player.

Reaction Score
If it were reversed and the best players were going to Japan, American teams would be screaming for a posting fee to compensate for the loss, so I don't see the problem. The team and player both get compensation. For the Yankees it's a smart way to go after a quality arm and stay under the $189 million goal. As poster's are saying there's no guarantee that Tanaka will be worth it, but in the Yankee's case it's worth the gamble because they would end up paying him about what they paid Mo last season. So it's a wash.

Husky25

Reaction Score
If it were reversed and the best players were going to Japan, American teams would be screaming for a posting fee to compensate for the loss, so I don't see the problem. The team and player both get compensation. For the Yankees it's a smart way to go after a quality arm and stay under the $189 million goal. As poster's are saying there's no guarantee that Tanaka will be worth it, but in the Yankee's case it's worth the gamble because they would end up paying him about what they paid Mo last season. So it's a wash.

That's the exact type of thinking that has historically bit the Yankees in the . You just correlated the best closer in the history of the game to an unproven Japanese pitcher. Its a wash in payroll, but value is a very different thing.

Kei Igawa was the Yankees' answer to Dice-K. Just because someone posts for $26 mill doesn't make them worth $26 mil to the posting team. Read Joe Torre's The Yankee Years. There is almost a full chapter devoted to Igawa. The Boss wanted him so they bid almost sight unseen. The bullpen catcher couldn't believe what he saw in Spring Training...and not in a good way.

Reaction Score
That's the exact type of thinking that has historically bit the Yankees in the . You just correlated the best closer in the history of the game to an unproven Japanese pitcher. Its a wash in payroll, but value is a very different thing.

Kei Igawa was the Yankees' answer to Dice-K. Just because someone posts for $26 mill doesn't make them worth $26 mil to the posting team. Read Joe Torre's The Yankee Years. There is almost a full chapter devoted to Igawa. The Boss wanted him so they bid almost sight unseen. The bullpen catcher couldn't believe what he saw in Spring Training...and not in a good way.

Oh my god, just chill! It was the money. No correlation intended. I was talking payroll, (quantity not quality). Pleeze! How about Phil Hughes then. He was to get $13 mil. There. Now don't you feel better?

Husky25

Reaction Score
Oh my god, just chill! It was the money. No correlation intended. I was talking payroll, (quantity not quality). Pleeze!

Me Chill? I'm not the one who took offense.

Again. Quantity over Quality. It's the Yankee Way. ;)

Reaction Score
Well, then why did you post? Did you really believe that crap about correlating the two? C'mon:)

Husky25

Reaction Score
For the good of the Red Sox-Yankee rivalry (The anybody-Yankee rivalry, for that matter), I believe the Yankees would better reach their goal if didn't have such a barren farm system.

And Yes, I believe that the everyday Yankee fan does think the way you stated ("We have $50 Mil coming off the books that means we can spend $49 mil and be good shape."). Never mind that the $50 Mil coming off the books are Mussina/Paul O'Neil types and the $49 Mil represents Mondesi, Wilson, Curtis types. The common Yankee fan does not care what Steinbrenner is paying, as long as they win the final game in late October. Just as I don't care about the final number that the Red Sox spend (Though truth be told, I like it better when payroll is not as high). Are they in the black? Yes. Are they entertaining? Yes. Do they win? Yes for the Sox, No for the Yankees.

Incidentally, everything else in your post from the words, "If," to "it," I agreed with.

Reaction Score
Geez, how could you read the Joe Torre story? Maybe you're a closet Yankee fan. C'mon own up!:cool:

Husky25

Reaction Score
I'm a baseball fan second. My friend who is a Yankee Fan loaned me the book.

Reaction Score
For the good of the Red Sox-Yankee rivalry (The anybody-Yankee rivalry, for that matter), I believe the Yankees would better reach their goal if didn't have such a barren farm system.

And Yes, I believe that the everyday Yankee fan does think the way you stated ("We have $50 Mil coming off the books that means we can spend $49 mil and be good shape."). Never mind that the $50 Mil coming off the books are Mussina/Paul O'Neil types and the $49 Mil represents Mondesi, Wilson, Curtis types. The common Yankee fan does not care what Steinbrenner is paying, as long as they win the final game in late October. Just as I don't care about the final number that the Red Sox spend (Though truth be told, I like it better when payroll is not as high). Are they in the black? Yes. Are they entertaining? Yes. Do they win? Yes for the Sox, No for the Yankees.

Incidentally, everything else in your post from the words, "If," to "it," I agreed with.

You're just ignorant aren't you..........."yes for the sox no for the yanks"?? Really?? This is the year you pick for this argument?? C'mon 25 talk to me about the streak from 95 to last year then make some sense of your spew........we can accepth things aren't right for the Yanks now and may take a few years but we won't have an 89 year rut I can promise you that.........the "everyday Yankee fan" is a heck of a lot smarter than the new "red Sox fan I can promise despite your stereotypical BS thoughts. Some care they don't have a farm system and that the Bernie, Jorge, Derek, Robbie, Mariano days are gone for a while with no hope in sight because the farm system is barren. I bet a lot more than you think!!!

Funny thing is there's a ton of Red Sox "fans" who don't even know how they got their guys whether form their own system, trade or FA....a TON......I live up here now there's fans who don't know squat about baseball and until 2004 didn't give 2 and now they play golf in their red Sox garb, go to malls in the garb, bars and pubs in their garb but their mostly not even worth having a baseball discussion with!

Now win the WS or you "won" nothing!

Husky25

Reaction Score
You're just ignorant aren't you..........."yes for the sox no for the yanks"?? Really?? This is the year you pick for this argument?? C'mon 25 talk to me about the streak from 95 to last year then make some sense of your spew........we can accepth things aren't right for the Yanks now and may take a few years but we won't have an 89 year rut I can promise you that.........the "everyday Yankee fan" is a heck of a lot smarter than the new "red Sox fan I can promise despite your stereotypical BS thoughts. Some care they don't have a farm system and that the Bernie, Jorge, Derek, Robbie, Mariano days are gone for a while with no hope in sight because the farm system is barren. I bet a lot more than you think!!!

Funny thing is there's a ton of Red Sox "fans" who don't even know how they got their guys whether form their own system, trade or FA....a TON......I live up here now there's fans who don't know squat about baseball and until 2004 didn't give 2 s and now they play golf in their red Sox garb, go to malls in the garb, bars and pubs in their garb but their mostly not even worth having a baseball discussion with!

Now win the WS or you "won" nothing!
Someone said something negative about the Yankees. Here comes the protector of the Pinstripes, as if it's necessary...;)...All due respect, but why is it that in your world, the majority of the Millions of Red Sox fans have only been so since 2004, but the Yankees, and other teams not called "Red Sox," have exactly -0- casual fans? Where are all those 1918 caps that were so prevelant at YSII prior to 10/27/04? What does 1918 have to do with in Yankee History?

Ignorant? What part of my post was not at least reasonable? Yes, for the Red Sox, no for the Yanks in 2013, of course. Isn't that what we are talking about? This year and forward? Who cares what payroll was in 2009, 2010 or even 2013? The Yankees want to get below the tax limit for 2014 and the Yankee farm system is barren according to Tom Verducci, a well respected baseball evaluator and journalist. The Yankee Farm system of the 90s is commonly credited to Gene Michael and Bob Watson, while The Boss was banned "for life." And there are just as many Yankees fans who equate high payroll with good team as there are pink hat Sox fans.

Reaction Score
1918 "caps"? Do we really need to answer that one? LOL

Of course there are many of you who don't need my stamp of approval to say you've been fans as long as I have been a Yankee fan I know that dummy! I'm certainly exaggerating but if you have lived in WesMass for 23 years now as a transplant you do recognize a huge change of fandom and it's not really difficult.........

You jumped all over the place from Modesi and Chad Curtis to 1918 to 2013 yet it's 2013 "we're talking about"....?? ......uh huh.........And by the way it doesn't take Tom freakin Verducci to tell me the Yankee farm system blows, I think I already mentioned that in my post but that was totally lost in your dates!!

Anyway it's all BS anyway arguing with you I can just go watch baseball starting tomorrow night while I watch DVR's of my favorite TV series until UConn basketball starts.........of course if I check in and the Cards are ahead I may keep it on for a while!! LOL

Enjoy and have fun - good luck even!;)

Husky25

Reaction Score
I was making a point on value. If that is lost on you, I can't help that. It's your issue, not mine.

Thanks for the well wishes (though i am only a fan. I'm not otherwise associated with the team). While I think the Sox should win and cap off a magical season, I think the Cardinals are quite formidible this time around.

Reaction Score
It's ironic when Yankees fans say that no Sox fans were around before 2004 - even though many Yankees fans spent decades taking a dump on the millions of Sox fans in New England for 1918, Bucky, etc. Apparently the recipients of those taunts never really existed, just like the ghosts that floated around in the old Yankee Stadium.

Reaction Score
I was making a point on value. If that is lost on you, I can't help that. It's your issue, not mine.

Thanks for the well wishes (though i am only a fan. I'm not otherwise associated with the team). While I think the Sox should win and cap off a magical season, I think the Cardinals are quite formidible this time around.

Your point on "value" was your and yours alone.......not lost just yours and I disagree for the most part. If that's lost on you that's your issue 25!!;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom