Maryland OSU game | The Boneyard

Maryland OSU game

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Truthfully, after having watched UConn tonight, neither of these teams looks very top-tier.

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
I will say this.

I think Ameryst Alston and Rachel Banham are better guards than Tiffany Mitchell and I wish they got more attention than they do.

HuskyFan1125

Reaction Score
Question?

I agree that Kelsey Mitchell is talented. There is no denying that. However, I feel she takes too many bad shots. And by bad shots I mean when there are not rebounders in position OR if she has players under the basket she will shot instead of working the offense. I feel that will always be OSUs downfall. Twice Cooper and Hart were under the basket and she jacks up a three with no regard to her teammates.

Anyone else notice this or is it just me?

Reaction Score
Watching Maryland now--which gave us a great game December 28--it's clear how much more we've improved than have they.

HuskyFan1125

Reaction Score
Will tOSU sweep the Turtles this year???

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
Watching Maryland now--which gave us a great game December 28--it's clear how much more we've improved than have they.

But they are playing a lower ranked team not a Legendary number one team. I don't see the same pep to MD tonight. UCONN may not be mentally affected by the opponent but lots of other teams are.

Jimbo

Running to Stand Still
Reaction Score
Not sure if anyone else kept ESPN2 on through the end of the Maryland-Ohio State game, but after the studio crew ran the UConn-South Carolina highlights again, Jay Williams and Seth Greenberg did a great job for two or three solid minutes discussing and analyzing what makes UConn so good. I'm not being sarcastic. It was refreshing to hear, especially in light of the useless blather we've heard from the Doug Gottliebs of the world on other recent occasions. Have to give ESPN some credit when it's due. Well done, gentlemen.

Reaction Score
The Ohio State has now beat Maryland easily twice. Will Maryland continue to be ranked higher than OSU ?

The voters are clueless- they just look at records, not schedules.

Who got the tough Terp award ?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
the Ohio State University is a poor match up for Maryland. Maryland guards are mediocre and slow and Mitchell and Alston was too much for them. Teams with athletic guards will give Maryland problems. Also it doesn't help that Maryland's bigs are slow. Brionna Jones played great again but SWK have a rough time against OSU talent.

Reaction Score
Poor "match up" is an over used term for one dimensional teams with little versatility.

And how is our team one dimensional? We shoot the three well, play very good interior offense, run the break. You should have seen this from the UConn game. This is a case where we DON'T do something well therefore the poor match-up.

Reaction Score
Question?

I agree that Kelsey Mitchell is talented. There is no denying that. However, I feel she takes too many bad shots. And by bad shots I mean when there are not rebounders in position OR if she has players under the basket she will shot instead of working the offense. I feel that will always be OSUs downfall. Twice Cooper and Hart were under the basket and she jacks up a three with no regard to her teammates.

I noticed that as well. Hart didn't make it pass half court and a shot was up a couple of times. OSU was playing fast like the Loyola Maramount team with Bo Kimble and Hank Gathers...non stop action. Maryland's bigs were gasping for air. At one point, I needed oxygen. SWK, who I thought was in great condition, was also gasping and never made it back on defense. The commentators stated that she was jogging back on D.

Reaction Score
the Ohio State University is a poor match up for Maryland. Maryland guards are mediocre and slow and Mitchell and Alston was too much for them. Teams with athletic guards will give Maryland problems. Also it doesn't help that Maryland's bigs are slow. Brionna Jones played great again but SWK have a rough time against OSU talent.

Maryland killed OSU on the boards, and inside offense. However, they don't play defense or pass well.

Nuyoika

Destroyer of Baked Goods
Reaction Score
Maryland losing to them twice is really messing up my predictions.... I need Maryland to get it together for my pre-seasons predictions sake.

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
Have to respectfully disagree with some of the posters. The game was free-flowing, but it was an up-and-down game with both action and skills on display. This is the type of offensive game that is better for a sport designed to draw viewers in an over-saturated market, as opposed to the defensive struggles with poor shooting.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Question?

Kelsey has been playing that way since her AAU days. It helps when your dad is assistant coach and OK with ANY shot you want to take.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Have to respectfully disagree with some of the posters. The game was free-flowing, but it was an up-and-down game with both action and skills on display. This is the type of offensive game that is better for a sport designed to draw viewers in an over-saturated market, as opposed to the defensive struggles with poor shooting.
The sport designed to draw viewer and display skill is best exhibited by the Globetrotters. If these teams want to contend for viewers and the championship of WCBB then a "little" defense is mandatory.

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
The sport designed to draw viewer and display skill is best exhibited by the Globetrotters. If these teams want to contend for viewers and the championship of WCBB then a "little" defense is mandatory.

In baseball, good pitching beats good hitting, as a general rule. In basketball, however, good offense beats good defense, due to the players' ability to create their own shots, even in the absence of spacing.

I am not saying the defense is not a prerequisite to a championship. But in terms of viewership, games that have more offensive output on the women's side will do more to draw in viewers/fans than the defensive struggles with poor shooting. If games were involving a lack of scoring and defensive battles were truly coveted over others in the Americans sports landscape, soccer would be a much more popular than it is.

Reaction Score
Kelsey has been playing that way since her AAU days. It helps when your dad is assistant coach and OK with ANY shot you want to take.

Good point CocoHusky, it sure looks like McGuff just rolls out the ball and anything goes. If he was serious about defense and rebounding he would not play 4 guards at a time.

Reaction Score
There are a select few teams with both very good offense and defense, and these are the teams (actually team:D) that win. Ohio State is not one of them. I turned the game off in the first half when Maryland allowed Alston to make three or four 3-pointers in a row without even recognizing that she was in the game. Players were driving the length of the court with no resistance. For me just another example of America's love affair with the flashy over the substantive, the sizzle rather over the steak.

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
There are a select few teams with both very good offense and defense, and these are the teams (actually team:D) that win. Ohio State is not one of them. I turned the game off in the first half when Maryland allowed Alston to make three or four 3-pointers in a row without even recognizing that she was in the game. Players were driving the length of the court with no resistance. For me just another example of America's love affair with the flashy over the substantive, the sizzle rather over the steak.

So, you turned off the UConn/Notre Dame game, too, huh?
lol

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
In baseball, good pitching beats good hitting, as a general. rule. In basketball, however, good offense beats good defense, due to the players' ability to create their own shots, even in the absence of spacing.

I am not saying the defense is not a prerequisite to a championship. But in terms of viewership, games that have more offensive output on the women's side will do more to draw in viewers/fans than the defensive struggles with poor shooting. If games were involving a lack of scoring and defensive battles were truly coveted over others in the Americans sports landscape, soccer would be a much more popular than it is.
Cam we will have to respectfully agree to disagree on this one. If viewership equated to offensive output then the Oregon teams coach by Paul Silas in recent past would have been leading WCBB in eyeballs watching the game because their objective was to score 100 points per game or in a half if they could. Oregon's idea of playing defense was to give you an open shot so they could get the ball back and launch another three.
WCBB is in a monumental struggle for viewership, attendance, and relevance. Fans are drawn to great teams & players. To become a great team you need to be great at both ends of the court. Contrary to popular belief it takes great skill to play defense properly.

Reaction Score
And how is our team one dimensional? We shoot the three well, play very good interior offense, run the break. You should have seen this from the UConn game. This is a case where we DON'T do something well therefore the poor match-up.
I did see that; you were our toughest opponent. So why can't you shoot the three well, play very good interior offense, run the break against others? "Poor match-up" is just a lame excuse; you have to adapt, make use of a variety of your strengths, that's all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom