Maryland lawsuit update | The Boneyard

Maryland lawsuit update

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Idea is that if Maryland can go to the B1G without paying the whole fee, then other schools could use that holding as precedent for leaving to bigger leagues than the ACC and not have to pay either.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Are we still worried about this? Nobody desirable wants to leave the ACC. Well Florida State would, but the Big 10 doesn't want them.

Reaction Score
I think the final number will be higher than $20 million, but far short of $52 million. The ACC has to go to the mattresses on this one. I think this fight will last a long time.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
"Here the amounts are very high. Is it really what the ACC and other institutions will lose as a result of losing Maryland in terms of scheduling, planning, damage to the brand?" Haagen said. "Or, is this an attempt to hold them in or punish them for leaving that has nothing to do with the actual harm suffered?"
Very hard for the ACC to show that it was damaged. Louisville immediately came in and the ACC got an improved TV contract. If it goes to trial, they lose. Settlement figure $5-10M.

Reaction Score
Guaranty Va Tech would go to the SEC.
The only issue with that is the SEC wants UNC and Duke, not NC State. And UVA are UNC's historical rival, but VA Tech.

Reaction Score
My only point was that there are ACC teams that would leave the ACC if offered. Offers won't come regardless of whether the recipient is interested if cost is so prohibitively high to move that teams couldn't afford it anyway.

Reaction Score
I would think the grant of rights would trump anything that comes of this lawsuit. Any other school wanting to leave the acc, is going to have a,whole other case to make. Doesn't impact UCONN at all I think.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
My only point was that there are ACC teams that would leave the ACC if offered. Offers won't come regardless of whether the recipient is interested if cost is so prohibitively high to move that teams couldn't afford it anyway.

No one ever thought for a second that the exit fee was going to stick for Maryland.

Yeah there are teams that would leave - but the leagues they would leave for don't want them.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Very hard for the ACC to show that it was damaged. Louisville immediately came in and the got an improved TV contract. If it goes to trial, they lose. Settlement figure $5-10M.

This!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is also why a GOR is nowhere near as ironclad as most want to believe. Anything can be monetized. If a school breaks a GOR agreement, a court will eventually determine some financial compensation based on projected damages and likely some punitive cost added in. It may not be as easy to determine (when leaving a conference) what the final cost of departure would be and it may be far higher than what Maryland will end up paying the ACC but if a school does decide to leave a conference where they are bound by a GOR, they will be able to.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom