Maryland is subpoenaing the world | The Boneyard

Maryland is subpoenaing the world

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
And before our ACC friends say "Fine lets go after the B1G", it's pretty clear that Jim Delany doesn't care. He would have told MD to lay low and they'd cover costs if they were fearful of anything.

Reaction Score
Fishy your quote made me think of a call into Francesa's show yesterday.

The conversation lasted on for Calhoun for about an hour and a BC caller said that they were too ethical to go after a coach like Calhoun.

Francesa in his classic angry tirade said something along the lines of "Oh, BC is ethical? Why don't you ask the Big East how ethical Boston College is when they went behind the backs of their fellow members. I can get Tranghese on the phone right now to talk about how ethical Boston College is if you want"

Reaction Score
Good.

Let's see them all burn.

If nothing else, if it goes to trial, and I hope it does, it will provide for some interesting reading.

It's a whole lot easier to just pay the $52 million and not let the door smack the arse.

All this pointless fishing just delays the inevitable, loses all dignity, and solves nothing for Maryland. Maryland has no case, will not find a case, and will just alienate a lot of people they really don't need to alienate.

Reaction Score
Thanks for the legal analysis.

I'm sure Maryland's legal team has more candlepower than you do, so perhaps leave the strategy to them.

It sure looks like the Maryland Legal team has about as much candlepower as the Obamacare website team. I mean if they start screwing with ESPN, ESPN should ban all Maryland franchises from ever appearing on a Disney property again. Maryland will not get anywhere with this strategy.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
It sure looks like the Maryland Legal team has about as much candlepower as the Obamacare website team. I mean if they start screwing with ESPN, ESPN should ban all Maryland franchises from ever appearing on a Disney property again. Maryland will not get anywhere with this strategy.
Yeah, I'm sure that would go over well...

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Subpoenas were issued in January and February to North Carolina, North Carolina State, Duke, Wake Forest, Virginia, Virginia Tech, Notre Dame, Syracuse, Clemson and Georgia Tech, according to an affidavit filed Friday by J. Alexander S. Barrett, an attorney for Maryland. It's not clear from the filings whether other ACC schools received subpoenas at a later date
Maryland also subpoenaed "various ESPN entities" and ACC consultants, according to Barrett's affidavit. Copies of those subpoenas were not immediately available.
Maryland has alleged in previous filings that that the ACC's desire to expand was driven "in large part on counsel and direction that the conference received from ESPN."
Maryland's subpoenas were first referenced in a motion filed earlier this month by the ACC. The document said the subpoenas "purport to require each entity to search for documents from potentially thousands of current and former employees of these entities over a time frame of 12 or more years."

I think the ACC figured that playing hardball with Maryland would cause them to cower. Oops, miscalculation.

This kind of tiered escalation isn't unheard of in the legal world. I would expect a settlement on the courthouse house steps, unless someone stumbles on to a smoking gun, then there will be a settlement 'right quick.' I'm with Fishy, though, I hope this goes to trial. Seeing how the sausage is made is going to be fascinating.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
I'm with the majority here: I want every little ESPiN/ACC black nugget unearthed. If we have to sit in AAC purgatory for the next few years, I at least want to be entertained watching the two entities that put us here shove their tails between their legs and pretend to act ethically. I have very little no compassion for those two and, even if nothing ever comes from this, I will get a tiny bit of satisfaction watching them squirm under oath.

Reaction Score
It's amazing how personally ACC fans have taken Maryland's skipping off to greener pastures.

It just plain hurt them.

I won't miss Maryland at all. I also don't see them going to any greener pastures, just frozen ones. I definitely don't want my school to consider following them.

But Maryland's blatant disrespect of the ACC bylaws does piss me off, and the ACC needs to assure that Maryland pays the full amount to leave that the bylaws provision calls for. These subpoenas are just a distraction. Maryland has no damages case, and won't find one either. They have shouted to the mountain top about their perceived greener pastures.

Reaction Score
Yeah, I'm sure that would go over well...

I would go over just fine for me. Won't have to look at Maryland on television again not that I look for them now anyway. But it would be great if recruits can't find Maryland on television.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
The ACC's blatant disregard for the Big East, its existence and even its bylaws are kinda blowing back on you hayseeds.

I think the ACC shouting about the greatest basketball conference in the history of the world, etc. outruns anything Maryland has done.

Reaction Score
Sooo...Fishy says...

"It's amazing how personally ACC fans have taken Maryland's skipping off to greener pastures.
It just plain hurt them."

While also saying.."The ACC's blatant disregard for the Big East, its existence and even its bylaws are kinda blowing back on you hayseeds."

I kind of think I see what is going on here.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
There are no ethics in conference relations - they are rivals for dollars as we've seen.

But it's a little rich to see someone bleating about Maryland's disregard for the ACC's rules when they invited Big East schools and scheduled them well in advance of their 27-month release date.

I guess one set of bylaws is more sacred?

Odd to see a group of people so wounded and betrayed by something from their own playbook.

Reaction Score
I, personally, have always cared less about Maryland...a long time opponent of FSU's entrance into the ACC and since then, a freekin' doormat who offers a yawn of a football game time experience.

Glad the buggers are gone. July just can not get here too fast.

Don't care how much they do or don't pay. But they will pay $20 million more or less.

It would be worth good money, though, to never have to waste a Saturday game slot on that sorry bunch of psychedelically uniformed losers.

And...the court case has no bearing on Billy's opinion...I have loathed these losers for a long time.

Reaction Score
There are no ethics in conference relations - they are rivals for dollars as we've seen.

But it's a little rich to see someone bleating about Maryland's disregard for the ACC's rules when they invited Big East schools and scheduled them well in advance of their 27-month release date.

I guess one set of bylaws is more sacred?

Odd to see a group of people so wounded and betrayed by something from their own playbook.

The ACC has all along been prepared to take all of its members after they follow the exit bylaws of the Big East including the 27 months. The Big East let West Virginia change that bylaws provision on the Big East by accepting more exit fee. It had nothing to do with the ACC at all. Then the Big East negotiated separately with each additional school after West Virginia set precedent.

I have no problem with Maryland going to the Big Ten. They become the Big Ten's problem, and with the current shape of athletics at Maryland, that's work. I do have a problem with Maryland, and specifically Dr. Wallace Loh, thinking Maryland doesn't have to follow the ACC bylaws for exit. And I think he will learn that he's very incorrect in this thought.

Reaction Score
I think, stimpy, that you have pont.

Other teams have leaving the BE have followed the bylaws...leave early, pay the fee, negotiated or outright.

Maryland will pay an exit fee...no doubt about that. I have always felt that it will be in the range of $20 million.

Reaction Score
The ACC and Swofford had no respect for the Big East bylaws. If he did, he would have insisted and not allowed any of the former seven Big East teams to join until the 27 months were up.

As I said before, the ACC presidents should have had an executive session without Swofford and agreed to let Maryland leave for $20 million. But apparently greed, indifference, or unwillingness to tell Swofford to stick it with his slimy ethics, got in the way. Maryland should not have to give in and be a party to illegal bylaws.

Billybud, as your article about FSU's entrance indicated, Maryland was against expansion of any team. When they lost that vote, they supported FSU's entrance. You indicated that the sentiment of yours and perhaps most that FSU going to the ACC was a mistake. So perhaps Maryland tried to do FSU a favor in their original vote. And with them leaving, that's one less easy team to beat in football. But you still have Virginia and others. And I agree with you, July can't come fast enough.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The ACC has all along been prepared to take all of its members after they follow the exit bylaws of the Big East including the 27 months. The Big East let West Virginia change that bylaws provision on the Big East by accepting more exit fee. It had nothing to do with the ACC at all. Then the Big East negotiated separately with each additional school after West Virginia set precedent.

I have no problem with Maryland going to the Big Ten. They become the Big Ten's problem, and with the current shape of athletics at Maryland, that's work. I do have a problem with Maryland, and specifically Dr. Wallace Loh, thinking Maryland doesn't have to follow the ACC bylaws for exit. And I think he will learn that he's very incorrect in this thought.
Your so stuck on these stinking sacred bylaws the ACC alleges Maryland is not following, yet completely ignore that one of Maryland's main legal arguments is the increase and/or the procedure followed leading up to the increase vote of the exit fee was against ACC bylaws.

Reaction Score
I am now a huge Maryland fan. I just want to see exactly what slimy Swofford planned behind all those closed doors. I would love to hear what that slimy ball Pitt president did to screw the BE as head of the BE TV committee during the BE TV negotiation. I seriously think UConn, Cincy, and USF need to get involved in this lawsuit at some point.

Go get them Terps!

Reaction Score
I seriously think UConn, Cincy, and USF need to get involved in this lawsuit at some point.

I think that's an awesome idea! Don't just jump in with Maryland's lawsuit - start one of your own with conference mates Cincy and USF. UCONN can spearhead the lawsuit and make sure it is filed in the state of CT. I am sure Blumenthal can point you in the right direction as far as the people you want to talk to in the CT AG's office. Best of luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom