Marvadene "Bubbles" Anderson 6'11" to Pitt 2012-13 | The Boneyard

Marvadene "Bubbles" Anderson 6'11" to Pitt 2012-13

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I heard during the Pitt/Uconn game that they will have a 6"11" freshman next year...did a quick google search and found out it is indeed "Bubbles", a player who is from Jamaica and is believed to be the tallest teenaged girl in the world...

What is the scouting report on this player? She will tower over Griner! Not only that, she seems like a vivacious, fun-loving typical teenage girly-girl who can play some hoops. This is a very intriguing addition to the class of very good players coming in next year representing WCBB!

Reaction Score
Because Marvadene went to Rutgers Prep, Scarlet Knights fans assumed she would head to Rutgers for college. Now Pitt wcbb fans can sing "Don't Worry, Be Happy!"

speedoo

Big Apple Big Dog
Reaction Score
It's probably telling that apparently none of the top teams had much interest in a 6-11 kid. If she had much athleticism and ability I don't think that would have been the case.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
It's probably telling that apparently none of the top teams had much interest in a 6-11 kid. If she had much athleticism and ability I don't think that would have been the case.
Agreed- 15 scholarships is a lot, and I would have figured someone higher profile than Pitt would have taken a flier on her. Seems like she'd be a real pain in the ass if she could move at all.

Coler

LSU/Rutgers fan
Reaction Score
Because Marvadene went to Rutgers Prep, Scarlet Knights fans assumed she would head to Rutgers for college. Now Pitt wcbb fans can sing "Don't Worry, Be Happy!"

Actually I don't think we ever offered to her. From my understanding is that she's a big project.

Reaction Score
Well, we'll maybe see her on the court once, anyway. Pitt's leaving the Big East for the ACC soon.

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
She may be a project but no matter how you slice it...you can't teach 6'11".

Reaction Score
I liked what I saw on the google search...of course, hoopgirls doesn't have her because she did not attend high school here. She seems very comfortable in her skin, and quite athletic. I think this will be a story coming into next season.

Reaction Score
I too am surprised that more schools didn't take a chance with her. Perhaps academics are the problem or health issues? Shen seems bright, coordinated, and skilled considering the short time she has been playing BB. She is still growing which could be a challenge to stablizing coordination. She's overweight and has a bad diet no exercize look to her. Her conditioning is bad. These are not things that are easy to change particularly in a short period of time.

But, if she's motivated, with the right coach she could be transformed into an all time great. Growing up in a challenging environment is a large obstacle to overcome. It will be interesting to watch her grow and to root for her to succeed.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Saying she is a big project is obvious, she is big enough they may need to use two scholarships. One thing that has been consistently said is she is a sweet kid. Go Bubbles.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
Actually I don't think we ever offered to her. From my understanding is that she's a big project.

No pun intended I'm sure....... :p

Honestly, when I heard that mention of Bubbles and Pitt last night, my first thought was that I hope (fervently) she has a great experience and a great four years at Pitt playing for Agnes. The reason I say this is that WCBB has a lot of tall girls, but 6'11" .....??? Life for a young woman of that size cannot be an easy thing. At all.

Girls at my high school who were 6'2" or 6'3" were self conscious enough as it was, but most of them were pretty athletic (some very good volleyball and bball players) so nobody made fun of them for being "big and slow" or whatever. Add to that the fact that there are fair number of high school boys who are 6'2" or taller. My guess is that at 6'11", Bubbles has--at least at times--had a much more difficult road.

I could be totally wrong and she could be a happy-go-lucky type with a Bubbly personality (hence the nickname perhaps?) with a lot of support at her school and among friends. After all, Stef at 6'5" is pretty darned big and she seems like a vivacious, well-adjusted kid. But when I think 6'11" and not too athletic, I worry.

[End of "Dr. Phil moment"]

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
I liked what I saw on the google search...of course, hoopgirls doesn't have her because she did not attend high school here. She seems very comfortable in her skin, and quite athletic. I think this will be a story coming into next season."

Bubbles went to high school right in NJ, at Rutgers Prep, a well respected private school not affiliated with the University.
She wasn't ranked by Hoopgirls because she is not an outstanding player. Wonderful person, a regular at Rutgers games and a fan favorite - but everyone at RU knew she was not going to be offered. She went to Pitt because the Pitt Assistant Coach is Patty Coyle, whose twin sister, Mary Coyle Klinger is the long time WBB coach and AD at Rutgers Prep. Both were stars at RU in the CD era.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Bubbles and her teammate:

marvadene1-200x300.jpg

speedoo

Big Apple Big Dog
Reaction Score
Knight, thanks for that info.. How long has Patty Coyle been at Pitt?. She has a lot of HC experience, does she not?

Reaction Score
Here's a video with a little bit of on the court action. She also mentions that school is a bit tougher in the US, but she's working hard to catch up.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Knight, thanks for that info.. How long has Patty Coyle been at Pitt?. She has a lot of HC experience, does she not?
IIRC, this is her second year.

Patty was head coach at Loyola (MD) for a number of years, then went to the WNBA as an assistant with Richie Adubato and the Liberty. Promoted to HC when he was fired.

Patty came and spoke at an RU fan club meeting in an effort to cross-sell the Liberty. She enjoyed a chance to visit with folks that were still fans from the early 80's when she was at RU, was also interesting and informative.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom