Marriner to transfer | The Boneyard

Marriner to transfer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Kevin Nathan reported last night that Josh Marriner is transferring. I'm not sure what happened with him. I thought he showed a higher upside than Newsome as a frosh.

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
That's a shame. There should have been a place for him even if it wasn't at #1 or #2 back. I wonder if he saw the writing on the wall when they recruited that guy from Texas Nate Hopkins and the fact that they are incorporating -back which he might not fit the bill for. I'll bet he slid down the ladder because of blocking or lack there of.

Reaction Score
That's a shame. There should have been a place for him even if it wasn't at #1 or #2 back. I wonder if he saw the writing on the wall when they recruited that guy from Texas Nate Hopkins and the fact that they are incorporating -back which he might not fit the bill for. I'll bet he slid down the ladder because of blocking or lack there of.
Could have been the other way around too... he could have told the coaches of his intent to transfer at his exit meeting. He's a classy kid and Inwish him luck as he continues his career.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
That's too bad. Always thought he never got enough on-field time. Wishing him luck wherever he goes.

Reaction Score
Good luck to the young man, but not a good thing for the program. With no fullbacks on the roster to take a few carries in an emergency, our depth is down to Newsome, Johnson, two walk ons and two incoming frosh. You absolutely need at last a third TB in the equation.

Reaction Score
Good luck to the young man, but not a good thing for the program. With no fullbacks on the roster to take a few carries in an emergency, our depth is down to Newsome, Johnson, two walk ons and two incoming frosh. You absolutely need at last a third TB in the equation.
That's where Hopkins and/or Vickers comes into play, no? plus, our Spring Game all star from last year, Jason Thompson, is back...

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Someone once mentioned that Jason Thompson looked like a real D1 player in practice. Maybe what's on the shelf will surprise us.

As for Mariner, I have always been frustrated by his lack of use...however, I do believe he was prone to the fumbles and that is what kept him off the field.

Reaction Score
Someone once mentioned that Jason Thompson looked like a real D1 player in practice. Maybe what's on the shelf will surprise us.

As for Mariner, I have always been frustrated by his lack of use...however, I do believe he was prone to the fumbles and that is what kept him off the field.
all of our RBs were prone to it coming on the field for the first time a few years ago... Last year wasn't too bad for any of them... Marriner just got caught in a #s game IMO...

Reaction Score
Mariner got chances to show something. I believe he started the 1st game of the Diaco era though it may have been Max. I wish he would have stayed, but he clearly was a notch below both Newsome and Johnson.

He got carries up the middle, on the edge, was thrown to in the flats. It didn't work out for him (or us) and I wish him the best, but when I think of kids that didn't get a chance on the field I think of the kid we had that ended up at Utah. I hope he goes somewhere and finds the experience he is looking for.

Reaction Score
Mariner got chances to show something. I believe he started the 1st game of the Diaco era though it may have been Max. I wish he would have stayed, but he clearly was a notch below both Newsome and Johnson.

He got carries up the middle, on the edge, was thrown to in the flats. It didn't work out for him (or us) and I wish him the best, but when I think of kids that didn't get a chance on the field I think of the kid we had that ended up at Utah. I hope he goes somewhere and finds the experience he is looking for.
Joe Williams... I suspect he's gonna do some big things for Utah next year..

Reaction Score
This certainly hurts our depth. Mariner was a hard runner and a decent blocker. I thought his weakness was seeing the right hole to hit. Of course, in his defense there were few running holes last year. Other then Newsome, the rest of our backs really struggled to find running room. I am disappointed that he is leaving. I could see him doing well the right school.

Reaction Score
He's behind Newsome with the same eligibility and he wants to play. Can't blame him and wish him the best.

It is a blow to badly needed depth. One of the frosh will have to step up and/or RonJon has to shake off whatever funk he was in last season.

Reaction Score
No Rutherford?

Reaction Score
No Rutherford?

LOL. Fair enough, I guess Rutherford is an emergency FB as well. But like Parker, he's not someone who you can throw in at TB if people get banged up (like Deon did at Rutgers that Thanksgiving morning long ago).

Reaction Score
Best of luck to Josh, his mother Melody and awesome girlfriend Paris. We're going to miss all of you. While we look to replace Josh as a running back, it's also tough to say goodbye to the devoted families of these players.

Reaction Score
McAllister?

I think McAllister is likely to get a shot to win a job at Safety on the two deep. One of the frosh or one of the walk ons is going to have to step up and be ready.

Reaction Score
I think McAllister is likely to get a shot to win a job at Safety on the two deep. One of the frosh or one of the walk ons is going to have to step up and be ready.
I honestly I hope McAllister wins that job... but I'm also hoping is that a wildcard in the entire competition in our defensive backfield is one of the true frosh, preferably Hahn.. granted it's ideal to have a true frosh play right away in your defensive backfield, but the kid's been talked up so much, if he can come in right away and have an impact back there, it'd be great for us going fwd.. Our front 7, IMO, is/will be plenty good this upcoming season... If'we're able to groom another pup on the backend early it'd be good.. besides, I see McAllister ending up at CB by the start of 2017.

Reaction Score
Somebody want to explain to me why they feel our LBs are going to be so good when nobody was able to supplant Vann or Stewart last season.. Those two played well but were not world beaters by any stretch.

Reaction Score
Somebody want to explain to me why they feel our LBs are going to be so good when nobody was able to supplant Vann or Stewart last season.. Those two played well but were not world beaters by any stretch.
Levenberry's a player.. and N. Williams, W. Richardson, Freeborn were all true frosh and were probably better off redshirted and got in the weight room and brought along at a slower pace... that frosh group kinda gets me thinking back to the Lutrus, Wilson days.. How many years did they start after their redshirt year??? and they weren't too bad.. Me thinks the kids we have now might be a little better...which brings about the excitement at the position. Depth looks to be clearly there... We'll see a glimpse in about a month or so...

Reaction Score
Josh Marriner Hopes To Have Made A Difference At UConn
http://www.courant.com/sports/uconn-football/hc-uconn-panel-discussion-0219-20160218-story.html

>>Marriner came to the school in 2013, and in three years he will have graduated. Marriner is on target to receive a degree in pre-communications science in May, a couple of weeks after his 21st birthday.

Marriner, from Chesapeake, Va., said he will return closer to home and intends play football, possibly with his brother, Brandon Addison, a cornerback at Old Dominion, an FCS school. For now, he is finishing his studies and will compete for the Huskies in the outdoor track season.<<

>>I thank the University of Connecticut for the opportunity to play here and get a very special degree, but I'm excited about going back home," Marriner said. "I'm excited to play football and get on with what I want to do in life and I want to continue to help uplift people. My brother and I are going to do something like Collective Uplift in Virginia because it's something we want to do together but my goal is to be successful in everything I do, lift up and empower people along the way."<<

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom