Mark in your calendars July 29,2014 | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Mark in your calendars July 29,2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Thanks for posting updates guys. I'm following on Twitter. Saw the standing O. Full house. Looks great! Wish I could have made it.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Warde was really great. His main message was : We need you now. Not later, not depending on the opposing team... UConn Football needs everyone now. Buy tickets, fill the stadium, support the team. Because if we want things to happen ("I'm speaking in code but I see nodding heads out there") we need to show support. If you know people that had tickets but gave them up... Encourage them to come back. If you see seats go unused, make sure those folks know when they show back up that they were missed.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Just got back. Great event. First the periphery: The food was excellent and Diaco took some credit for changing the burger/dog menu to Chicken Marsala, BBQ Brisket etc. It all went smoothly. Diaco took a photo with every table and was engaging during the entire evening. No players were present but Diaco explained that Susan Herbst worked with the staff to create an academic schedule that was more amenable to the team. This led to them being off these next few days as they prepare for rigorous football training camp starting Friday.
Diaco explained the last eight months as a real game changing time.
1. Players were physically transformed--literally. Casey Cochran lost 26 lbs, others gained but lost body fat. it was a very calibrated program. They all bought in.
2. Discipline was made very simple under Diaco. If you don't go to class you don't play. Period.
3. Wants explosive down the field offense. Needs strong running game to keep the QB healthy.
4. All players are ready for camp. No injuries.
5. While Warde played down the expectations Diaco expects maximum performance leading to positive outcomes.
6. A lot of emphasis on folks buying tickets and attending the games. It was stressed several times. We need you now--not sitting and waiting for better times--but right now--supporting the team. Warde's next words were telling---(paraphrased)"especially if you want us to get where you want us to be--if you get my drift".
7. Expect some of the Frosh RB's to see field. Its a matter of them being able to adapt to strain of learning "6 inch playbook" and coping with new environment without requiring the game to slow down for them.
8. Several QB's will see the field when and if their skills warrant it for the play at hand--but he will name the starter during camp. Each QB brings different skills to the team.

I'll leave it to others to fill in the blanks on the recruiting comments.

There were several standing ovations and a few bricks were scattered from the wall we all ran through returning to our cars. Suffice it to say that this season will be the most anticipated since 2003 when Indiana opened the Rent to unknown expectations. The feeling I got was that the stars are aligning for a great run of UConn Football.
Enjoyed sitting with UConn Bill and CT Mike and meeting Jim Dish. Missed being with Sportsart who underwent emergency gall bladder surgery today. Get well soon!

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
For the folks that were curious about the strength and conditioning improvements... Diaco left no doubt. So many jaw dropping stats that he put out there, I wish I could remember them all. Cochran lost 26lbs and 14 PERCENT body fat. That's insane. More people than I can count gained weight while losing body fat - all muscle. Player after player he rattled off significant improvements... Really impressive. Players have 100% bought in.

Uconnalliance

Please cancel the program all hope is lost
Reaction Score
Just marked my calender with a giant with a GIANT W!!!!!

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
Warde Manuel and Coach Diaco absolutely hit it out of the park. UCONN Bill asked whether we will play 3-4 or 4-3 and Diaco said it is a 50-50 split he has run for the last 6 years!!!
Then he showed what issues there were with the old 50 defense and showed how staying in the scheme with gaps created gaps with a member of the audience.

The numbers on the change in body weight versus body fat were amazing - he answered the Balis question before anyone had a chance to ask. He will name a QB but each QB has a strength and if it is needed during a game, he will use it.

My favorite quote: Culture beats scheme everyday.

Everyone got a picture with the coach at their table to take home. This event sold out this year and will be harder to get into next year as he builds momentum.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Manuel, Diaco, other dignitaries... and a Hardcore Husky! Thanks again for a great event!
Head Table.jpeg

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
One of the BY Tables : In no particular order, UConn Bill, Nostical, UConn Ric (Did I get that right?), myself, my good friend Rob, and a few others who I'm sorry I didn't get names for.
BY Table.jpeg

Reaction Score
Warde was really great. His main message was : We need you now. Not later, not depending on the opposing team... UConn Football needs everyone now. Buy tickets, fill the stadium, support the team. Because if we want things to happen ("I'm speaking in code but I see nodding heads out there") we need to show support. If you know people that had tickets but gave them up... Encourage them to come back. If you see seats go unused, make sure those folks know when they show back up that they were missed.

His "code" speak was very clear. You want to get to the next level (ie: conference), buy tickets, bring friends. Show up or shut up! (he didn't actually say that) We need to win / dominate in this conference.

And great info on the progress of our strength and nutrition program with specific athlete references. Good feedback for sure.

Thanks Hardcore!

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Diaco's long term vision : winning championships and dominating the conference. Short term, it's day by day- really just focusing on having a good camp.

hardcorehusky

Reaction Score
Football signed by Coach Diaco
Diaco football.jpg

Reaction Score
For the folks that were curious about the strength and conditioning improvements... Diaco left no doubt. So many jaw dropping stats that he put out there, I wish I could remember them all. Cochran lost 26lbs and 14 PERCENT body fat. That's insane. More people than I can count gained weight while losing body fat - all muscle. Player after player he rattled off significant improvements... Really impressive. Players have 100% bought in.

I have no doubt Casey has always been a hard worker and tried to stay fit. The new evaluation process and nutrition program may have the added benefit of exposing deficiencies and conditions that can benefit these guys for the rest of their lives. It's the one thing I can pick out and say I'm most intrigued by but never got the chance to ask because he covered it so directly.

Reaction Score
First time I got to meet Coach. He was a lot smaller than I anticipated, even though I had been told he wasn't a particularly big guy. He must have been a mad man on the field as a player to play LB in the Big 10 at the level he played in the 90s. Given his clear passion for the game, shouldn't be surprised that would be the case I guess. He made it very clear about establishing a culture change at UCONN, in the past 8 months. He stressed that, big time. He's doing everything that can be done from that perspective it seems to develop a winnign program again - and to me - it's pretty clear, that the measuring stick of whether or not we have a winning season, will be what our recruiting really was like from about 2010-2013. Everythign else is there, in establishing a team - if you believe the guy, and I did after listening to him. We won't know until they start playing in this system.

From physical conditioning, which is easy to show, and others have talked about - Cochran's example is striking, as were others, gaining weight while losing body fat. They employed high tech, blood testing and all that - which Kinesiology, exercise physiology, and athletic training is a pretty big thing at UCONN, so WTF not use it everything you can about it to get the best out of your athletes. But Cochran - talk about the proverbial "freshman 20lbs" - that's not supposed to happen to football players, and he must have been playing at 240-250 lbs. No wonder he couldn't run. He talked about simplifying expectations about going to class, etc - and then talked about the mental and social aspects of the cultural change. What I liked is that he talked about the players coming around and wanting to hang around with each other after eating meals, hang around with coaches and each other, and not bolt out of the facilities as soon as mandatory meal times, etc were over. He talked about email conversations with players, slowly over the past few months turning from negative to positive written messages going back and forth, and he talked cornily, about smiles.

When asked about this season's expectations, he really deflected, and said he's only focused on day to day, and really geared up for camp, and that only - he talked about how he's been up to the practice fields and he's been all over, but on Friday will be the first time he's ever gone up those steps to the fields with the team. He said if he thinks about anything else but going up those steps with the team, he'll trip. Corny - but I liked it.

Somebody asked Diaco a question about corporate sponsors and empty seats in the stadium and what he would do about it. I cringed in my seat. What a dumb question for a first time head coach, that hasn't even been in the stadium before for a game. Warde, jumped out of his, and pretty much shoved Diaco off the podium and answered directly - that if it's a problem, and people are noticing it - point it out, find out who it is, and ask why there was nobody there. Let him know. If it's 2 weeks and nobody there, get louder. Warde's message was very clear in his talk, fill the stadium with people, if we want this athletic department to go "anywhere". He also repeatedly said to Diaco, everybody loves you now, but wait til you make a mistake, or don't call a play that people like.

Good night, food was better than ever. Great ribs.

Reaction Score
Wait a sec... How did I not get to meet the infamous Carl Spackler last night?!?

He was in the locker room reciting the speech from Rudy to the players before being dragged away by security.

hardcorehusky

Reaction Score
Spackler - what table were you seated?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads