Mansfield P & Z opposes Mansfield Apartment Site | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Mansfield P & Z opposes Mansfield Apartment Site

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
In addition to the Mansfield NIMBYs' ongoing endless whining, building near Freitas may add others biatching about additional traffic along Rt 44 to Rt 31 to Rt 275/South Eagleville Road to Separatist Rd to Jim Calhoun Way. It's already a good route to Storrs, but would be used more with a bigger barn on or near the Freitas footprint. On the Google map huskymedic posted, what's the land like in what's referred to as "Separatist Tract" (behind Freitas out to South Eagleville Road/Rt 275)? Flat? Dry or Swampy?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
In addition to the Mansfield NIMBYs' ongoing endless whining, building near Freitas may add others biatching about additional traffic along Rt 44 to Rt 31 to Rt 275/South Eagleville Road to Separatist Rd to Jim Calhoun Way. It's already a good route to Storrs, but would be used more with a bigger barn on or near the Freitas footprint. On the Google map huskymedic posted, what's the land like in what's referred to as "Separatist Tract" (behind Freitas out to South Eagleville Road/Rt 275)? Flat? Dry or Swampy?
Forest. Designated as park land for the time being.

Reaction Score
Not sure if I should admit this or not, but I am a life long resident of Mansfield. Born and raised. Yes, from a town resident perspective the town has screwed the pooch on some significant projects. I have grown up a UConn fan and I'm very excited about the future of UConn athletics, especially hockey. I think the Mansfield Apartment proposal is ideal. I could be wrong but aren't the apartments scheduled to be demolished anyway? This could be a great catalyst to do a nice complex between an arena, maybe incorporate some restaurants. It's at the intersection of two main roads which would make it easier to get in and out of. Traffic wouldn't be any worse than games at Gampel.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Forest. Designated as park land for the time being.
The Separatist Tract was my back up location for an on campus stadium. Oh well Horsebarn Hill it is.

Reaction Score
Putting the barn at the Mansfield Apts site makes it a convenience walking distance from Storrs Center which should help many of the bars and restaurants before and after games.

Sticking it by the current rink offers much less in the way of an economic pop.

Reaction Score
If they put the barn/team facility near Freitas...they may very well encompass the current ice surface at Freitas as a practice surface. It's already there, and all they would have to do is attach the new barn to it taking up the space of the current parking lot. This would allow the parking lot for the new barn to be a buffer zone and maybe make it easier to deal with the Town of Mansfield

UConn would only need to do that if they were going to do an arrangement like the Mullins Center in Amherst (read: attempt to house basketball AND hockey in the same arena) on account of the pressure it puts on the facility to meet the needs of the teams for practice time (needs that, because of the time it takes to do tear downs and re-sets between hoops and hockey, are largely incompatible).

Well, that's not exactly true because UConn is already attempting to manage four teams at Frietas (men's hockey, women's hockey, EO Smith/Tolland/Windham co-op, and the Northeast Icedogs youth program), and it may actually be in their best interest to keep the secondary rink attached so that the youth programs don't get screwed on ice time.

I don't know how BC manages it because I've never been to Conte (whereas I have been to Mullins, and its secondary rink is quite obvious); they do have a dedicated volleyball gym, however, which removes some of the pressure.

Reaction Score
UConn would only need to do that if they were going to do an arrangement like the Mullins Center in Amherst (read: attempt to house basketball AND hockey in the same arena) on account of the pressure it puts on the facility to meet the needs of the teams for practice time (needs that, because of the time it takes to do tear downs and re-sets between hoops and hockey, are largely incompatible).

Well, that's not exactly true because UConn is already attempting to manage four teams at Frietas (men's hockey, women's hockey, EO Smith/Tolland/Windham co-op, and the Northeast Icedogs youth program), and it may actually be in their best interest to keep the secondary rink attached so that the youth programs don't get screwed on ice time.

I don't know how BC manages it because I've never been to Conte (whereas I have been to Mullins, and its secondary rink is quite obvious); they do have a dedicated volleyball gym, however, which removes some of the pressure.

King the bold part of your post is why it would be a plus to keep the current ice surface at Freitas. Plus it won't cost them anything to keep it, and they can make money ike you said due to the lack of ice time in that part of the state.

Reaction Score
Not that I'm against building a new arena next to the current Freitas, but leave it to the town of Mansfield to build a multi-million dollar downtown project and then complain when someone wants to build an arena which would be a major draw to downtown to help the businesses there.

Reaction Score
Build the new arena on the Hartford campus. Problem = solved!

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Master Plan as referenced above: http://boardoftrustees.uconn.edu/wp-content/uploads/sites/194/2015/02/Attachment-15.pdf Go to page 26. List both floated locations.

On page 12, looked at the picture for campus construction by 2035 (just took a long sip from my Cap & Cole when I realized how old I will be by then) and a few notes:

1) I do not see a rink anywhere on campus
2) The Gampel Expansion is there; but, the footprint for the Wolff-Zackin Natatorium (pool) is gone. UConn building a new pool or axing the swim team?
3) Both S and X parking lots are gone, no surprise with parking garages going into each location plus one underthe trac k and another in Mansfield Apartments; but, I bet Mansfield will not like the idea of a 1,200 car parking garage and associated traffic to it right next to EO Smith High School in S lot
4) Still surprised that they are not going to swap the soccer game and practice facilities with the football practice fields to allow the football team to have 'on-site' access
5) Maybe this time old West Campus dorms and the abandoned Frat row will be replace
6) In a 100 years, which complex will be rebuilt more times, Grant MSG, the Student Union, or Babridge library?
7) Student rec maybe expanded on site or moved up behind McMahon?

Reaction Score
On page 12, looked at the picture for campus construction by 2035 (just took a long sip from my Cap & Cole when I realized how old I will be by then) and a few notes:

There seems to be a disconnect between pg 12 and pgs 26 and 27 which leads me to believe pages 26 and 27 are newer slides. On page 26 there is clearly references to 2 "potential hockey arena sites". Additionaly page 12 doesn't show the two proposed locations for the Student Rec Center that pages 16 and 26 do. Page 12 also doesn't show the new soccer stadium expansion which page 26 does. Maybe because the funding is still TBD?

Last edited:
Reaction Score

2) The Gampel Expansion is there; but, the footprint for the Wolff-Zackin Natatorium (pool) is gone. UConn building a new pool or axing the swim team?
3) Both S and X parking lots are gone, no surprise with parking garages going into each location plus one underthe trac k and another in Mansfield Apartments; but, I bet Mansfield will not like the idea of a 1,200 car parking garage and associated traffic to it right next to EO Smith High School in S lot
4) Still surprised that they are not going to swap the soccer game and practice facilities with the football practice fields to allow the football team to have 'on-site' access
5) Maybe this time old West Campus dorms and the abandoned Frat row will be replace
6) In a 100 years, which complex will be rebuilt more times, Grant MSG, the Student Union, or Babridge library?
7) Student rec maybe expanded on site or moved up behind McMahon?
Potential rink sites are clearly shown on page 28. Mansfield Apartments and Frietas Rink parking lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jjblox

Top Bottom