Mansfield P & Z opposes Mansfield Apartment Site | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Mansfield P & Z opposes Mansfield Apartment Site

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
If they're gonna build the new arena at the Depot, might as well build it somewhere right off of exit 68 in Tolland. Easier access to the highway.

Across from Electric Blue would work for me.

Reaction Score
What %*$&#+@ town? Speaking of heads implanted up one's gastrointestinal system, Storrs is absolutely nothing without UCONN. Even Mansfield isn't all too much without UCONN. No, few people would be willing to waste resources knocking down most of the cesspool which is Mansfield outside of the University of Connecticut (pun intended). On the other hand, a rather large crew would readily knock your boyhood home down if it's in the way of UCONN's progress if the house actually sits on UCONN's very own property, e.g., Mansfield Apartments. Consider the latter a risk of renting on somebody else's title protected property. :rolleyes: What legal rights do local yokals have to prevent UCONN from building its' new arena on its' each titled real estate?

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
What %*$&#+@ town? Speaking of heads implanted up one's gastrointestinal system, Storrs is absolutely nothing without UCONN. Even Mansfield isn't all too much without UCONN. No, few people would be willing to waste resources knocking down most of the cesspool which is Mansfield outside of the University of Connecticut (pun intended). On the other hand, a rather large crew would readily knock your boyhood home down if it's in the way of UCONN's progress if the house actually sits on UCONN's very own property, e.g., Mansfield Apartments. Consider the latter a risk of renting on somebody else's title protected property. :rolleyes: What legal rights do local yokals have to prevent UCONN from building its' new arena on its' each titled real estate?

I'm referring to areas of the town which are NOT university property, and rather PRIVATE property. There are people in this thread calling for UCONN to steamroll the whole town. This "local yokel" doesn't abide by that. My family and I have given too much of our time and financial capital to the university to put up with neanderthals running their mouths like that.

Also, I honestly think you're confusing Mansfield with Willington/Ashford/Chaplin and other places that literally are bumblef*** hick towns. Most 'Yarders spent their 4 years on campus trashing the " town of Mansfield", left after that, and have no knowledge of the surrounding area.

Then again, what do I know? I'm just a dumb hick from Storrs using the internet out here in the barn in between milking cows.

Reaction Score
Got it, so it's mutually acknowledged Mansfield has no legal control over land the Mansfield Apartmemts sit on nor no legal reason for UCONN not to build the new hockey arena on its' title-held property. On the other hand, many of us who lived and studied in Mansfield for 4 or more years actually spent a lot of time in the town itself and are challenged to believe it is much more than an anti-progress, local yokel town primarily comprised of hicks. Beauty's in the eyes of the beholders, oversensitive and otherwise who see the strong complements of the Mansfield Apartments and Storrs Center both located on UCONN-owned property.

Last edited:

Stainmaster

Reaction Score
Yes, I know that Mansfield Apartments is UCONN's property. We've been over this. The P&Z, Town Council, or whatever municipal entity you want to name's opinions will mean squat when the university builds the new arena. It's happening. I know that and I don't care (aside from a slight sentimentality associated with the Moss Sanctuary, but other such places exist near where I'm living now).

My point is, anyone reading this post who wants UCONN to use eminent domain and claim every acre of land within the geographical boundary of the town of Mansfield is a) incredibly stupid considering significant portions of the town are not owned by the university and b) a stinking load of diarrhea.

Reaction Score
Stairmaster said:
Yes, I know that Mansfield Apartments is UCONN's property. We've been over this. The P&Z, Town Council, or whatever municipal entity you want to name's opinions will mean squat when the university builds the new arena. It's happening. I know that and I don't care (aside from a slight sentimentality associated with the Moss Sanctuary, but other such places exist near where I'm living now). My point is, anyone reading this post who wants UCONN to use eminent domain and claim every acre of land within the geographical boundary of the town of Mansfield is a) incredibly stupid considering significant portions of the town are not owned by the university and b) a stinking load of diarrhea.
That's a gross exaggeration of what was said, much less what anyone actually wants. Simmer down.

Reaction Score
Mansfield killed the Pfizer Animal Disease Center Building that was to go near horse barn hill. The University of Indiana got the multi-million dollar facility after Mansfield screwed it up.

Stainmaster

Reaction Score
Mansfield killed the Pfizer Animal Disease Center Building that was to go near horse barn hill. The University of Indiana got the multi-million dollar facility after Mansfield screwed it up.

So that makes "rolling over Mansfield" acceptable? Bless your soul.

Reaction Score
I rest my case.

You're the one who brought up razing childhood homes a mile from campus. :rolleyes:

As I stated above, I'm not a big fan of Eminent Domain. However, UConn is a multi-billion dollar driver of the Connecticut economy and in order for the school to continue to grow and become a world class research institution more change is required, with some of it likely impacting the town of Mansfield. This could include expanding or creating roadways, or optimally adding onto the campus or technology park as well as its infrastructure. UConn needs to fulfill its mission without having one hand tied behind its back at every turn. Mansfield and its residents have profited greatly from UConn's continued growth, with many residents drawing paychecks from the University and/or accessing the many resources the university offers. The council needs to stop being the Harper Valley PTA and, instead, be a partner in UConn's transformation. If not, then maybe a different tack is required. The suggestion of putting the rink at the Depot is silly one (except of course if the town or select local residents stand to benefit financially).

Reaction Score
Yes, I know that Mansfield Apartments is UCONN's property. We've been over this. The P&Z, Town Council, or whatever municipal entity you want to name's opinions will mean squat when the university builds the new arena. It's happening. I know that and I don't care (aside from a slight sentimentality associated with the Moss Sanctuary, but other such places exist near where I'm living now).

My point is, anyone reading this post who wants UCONN to use eminent domain and claim every acre of land within the geographical boundary of the town of Mansfield is a) incredibly stupid considering significant portions of the town are not owned by the university and b) a stinking load of diarrhea.

I went to UConn and also had family and friends from the area, including a very enjoyable hours sitting a friend's house while her parents were away. Thus, I did not go into Storrs with a negative view of Mansfield; but, I had issues after 4 years. A couple of examples:
  • Mansfield always complained about drunk students walking along North Eagleville road between campus and Carriage House/Celeron at night; but, refused to let the university put in sidewalks along the road for years claiming it would ruin the rural character of the town. This included periodic tickets for jay-walking. With the only alternate route being the rape trail can't, really blame the students for that choice.
  • When I was on campus, Mansfield PD enforced parking violations on campus. You can imagine how that went. I got a ticket once for illegal parking in a loading zone at hilltop while moving into the dorm at the start of the semester. I asked the Mansfield Cop writing the ticket as what I should do when there are 200+ people moving into a single building all at the same time. His was response something like, ‘that’s your problem,’ and went over to ticket the other three cars next to mine.
  • Mansfield officials always ranted and raved about Spring Weekend demanding that UConn had to do something to stop all of the hooligans, drunk driving, etc. Yet, they made no mention that half the people arrested/fined in the paper after Spring Weekend were high school kids from EO Smith.
  • My senior year during fall finals week in December, I was walking from the library to Hilltop and just turned onto Hillside Road at around 11 PM when a Mansfield Cruiser flashed it lights and me, jumped the curb in front of me and then the cop charged out of the cruiser with his hand on his holster yelling that I had to give him my backpack because he suspected I had alcohol on me. I went off on him saying something along the line of – ‘Its finals week and you saw me leave the library, what on earth do you think I am doing? Plus, I’m over 21, so I can have a beer in my backpack if I wanted to. So, go ahead and arrest me, you have no probable cause. See how far that gets you.’ I kept on walking and he drove off.
Right now, I think one of the biggest issues is that UConn has gone for a mid-major state university that had barely expanded physically since the 1960's with under 20K students on campus in the mid 90's to a major university with close to 30K on a campus that had pumped $2 billion into new facilities all over the place. Granted that is a major change. Plus, it does not help that a lot of Mansfield's central functions (town hall, high school) are adjacent to the campus. That's aid, it is clear that neither are going away and must learn to work together.

Stainmaster

Reaction Score
That's aid, it is clear that neither are going away and must learn to work together.

I agree 100%.

Side note, I don't think Storrs is paradise. There's a reason I went to school elsewhere, and I don't foresee myself living there again. I just don't like seeing its flaws this grossly exaggerated.

Reaction Score
No other info...

Tim_Fontenault 4:00pm via TweetDeck (Covering everything UConn sports for @the_dailycampus, @TheUConnBlog, )
A UConn hockey note: I'm told the Mansfield Apartments site is no longer a guarantee. Site near Freitas still in play. Board is discussing.

Reaction Score
No other info...

Tim_Fontenault 4:00pm via TweetDeck (Covering everything UConn sports for @the_dailycampus, @TheUConnBlog, )
A UConn hockey note: I'm told the Mansfield Apartments site is no longer a guarantee. Site near Freitas still in play. Board is discussing.
this tells me they may be rethinking the seating capacity of the new barn

Reaction Score
this tells me they may be rethinking the seating capacity of the new barn

... or they don't like playing fluck/fluck with the Town and potentially delay progress.

Reaction Score
No other info...

Updated Master Plan being presented to BOT this week shows Freitas Ice Forum parking lot as a potential site for new barn.

Reaction Score
Updated Master Plan being presented to BOT this week shows Freitas Ice Forum parking lot as a potential site for new barn.

Pro - less town politics, cons less visibility and may cause a traffic nightmare on game nights...

Reaction Score
Just for the record, the people in Storrs opposing any development are not hicks or local yokels. They are educated environmentalist eggheads. The progress of development along State highways in town and in concentrated areas like Rt 44/Rt 195 area and Storrs center, are opposed for the mere fact that they want to have the final say or grind things to a halt. These people who will all be dead in 20 years need to be ignored. They don't like the sewer plan or the water plan and the Tech Park drives them wild. They don't care if the University leads the way through economic expansion that creates jobs for people. About the only thing these folks approve of is the women's basketball program.

Reaction Score
Just for the record, the people in Storrs opposing any development are not hicks or local yokels. They are educated environmentalist eggheads. The progress of development along State highways in town and in concentrated areas like Rt 44/Rt 195 area and Storrs center, are opposed for the mere fact that they want to have the final say or grind things to a halt. These people who will all be dead in 20 years need to be ignored. They don't like the sewer plan or the water plan and the Tech Park drives them wild. They don't care if the University leads the way through economic expansion that creates jobs for people. About the only thing these folks approve of is the women's basketball program.
The same group that shot down the tech park in the late 80's...that turned into Celeron Square Apt's.

Reaction Score
I suppose that's not a bad secondary site. It's on campus, if it avoids the headache of the NIMBYs and doesn't hold everything up it's better for everyone. There's plenty of room there for the building, for parking, for any add-ons to the facility. If thats what it takes to get it done, go for it. Throw 6,000-6,500 seats there with top-notch training facilities, maybe do what ND did and throw in a rink on the side for secondary practice and to host youth leagues, and UConn will be very well set for the long term in Hockey East, and potentially the B1G were that to materialize.

Reaction Score

Does the university own the land behind Freitas and on the other side of Calhoun Way? They would have plenty of space very near the rest of the athletic hub to work with if they do. Build new hockey and soccer facilities on the open land and put parking where those footprints are now.

Reaction Score
I suppose that's not a bad secondary site. It's on campus, if it avoids the headache of the NIMBYs and doesn't hold everything up it's better for everyone. There's plenty of room there for the building, for parking, for any add-ons to the facility. If thats what it takes to get it done, go for it. Throw 6,000-6,500 seats there with top-notch training facilities, maybe do what ND did and throw in a rink on the side for secondary practice and to host youth leagues, and UConn will be very well set for the long term in Hockey East, and potentially the B1G were that to materialize.
If they put the barn/team facility near Freitas...they may very well encompass the current ice surface at Freitas as a practice surface. It's already there, and all they would have to do is attach the new barn to it taking up the space of the current parking lot. This would allow the parking lot for the new barn to be a buffer zone and maybe make it easier to deal with the Town of Mansfield

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom