Malloy Reached Out To ESPN Regarding Big 12 Expansion Talks (Courant) | The Boneyard

Malloy Reached Out To ESPN Regarding Big 12 Expansion Talks (Courant)

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
Sources: Malloy Reached Out To ESPN On Behalf Of UConn In Big 12 Expansion Debate

Gov. Dannel P. Malloy reached out to ESPN to push for support of UConn's bid to gain entrance into the Big 12 Conference, according to two sources.

One source said that Malloy spoke to ESPN President John Skipper by phone in August. The second source said that while he did not know of a specific phone call, he said that Malloy was working on the UConn-Big 12 expansion issue because "it's good for basketball. It's good for football. It's good for the state.''

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Is this essentially a little too little too late?

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
Is this essentially a little too little too late?

In the grand scheme of things, perhaps. Would we have wanted him to say something in 2012 when the ACC took Louisville? Sure. But pols don't usually do stuff till they reallllllly have to. This seemed like the last boat off the island so he got involved. I would have liked his support in 2011 (Pitt/Cuse) and in 2012, but frankly, the Gov had bigger fish to fry then. I'm glad he said something now.

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
At least it's somewhat good news, whatever the timing may be. The right people at least have had the idea rattle around in the noggin.

Husky25

Reaction Score
The problen is, he's the place kicker that pushes the ball wide right as time expires, but then drills 10 in a row from the same spot as the janitor is turning off the stadium lights.

Reaction Score
At least it's somewhat good news, whatever the timing may be. The right people at least have had the idea rattle around in the noggin.
I don't see how this can be good news at all. They have slammed the door on UConn.

Reaction Score
Unless the Big 12 is leaking that ESPN asked for them to include UConn should they expand, I don't believe it for a second.

I'm guessing the leak is coming from one of 2 parties trying to benefit from it - Malloy and/or ESPN

BUConn10

Reaction Score
I don't see how this can be good news at all. They have slammed the door on UConn.
Im sorry to tell you buddy but the door was slammed on UConn back in 2010, every development since then has only furthered and strengthened that goal.

Now if the discussion is "did our leader make an attempt to get us out of this pre-determined hell fate?" we at least can now say yes they did.

I honestly think sometimes that this era in UConn athletics history will be documentary material, and not the peachy, they overcome obstacles type of documentary, the "lets discuss this absolute disastrous event and see how it all unfolded and how it killed a program" type of documentary.

Reaction Score
Im sorry to tell you buddy but the door was slammed on UConn back in 2010, every development since then has only furthered and strengthened that goal.

Now if the discussion is "did our leader make an attempt to get us out of this pre-determined hell fate?" we at least can now say yes they did.

I honestly think sometimes that this era in UConn athletics history will be documentary material, and not the peachy, they overcome obstacles type of documentary, the "lets discuss this absolute disastrous event and see how it all unfolded and how it killed a program" type of documentary.
Then you have no idea how corporations work.

We're in the AAC to make THAT conference viable so that ESPN can make money off it. They know UConn makes money.

Head bang

That's going to completely stop the Big Ten or ACC from poaching us. They are convinced we are less valuable than Rutgers, Syracuse and BC.

Why did I even bother to type a response?!

BUConn10

Reaction Score
Then you have no idea how corporations work.

We're in the AAC to make THAT conference viable so that ESPN can make money off it. They know UConn makes money.

Head bang

That's going to completely stop the Big Ten or ACC from poaching us. They are convinced we are less valuable than Rutgers, Syracuse and BC.

Why did I even bother to type a response?!
How is any of this supposed to be new information or insight into what we were talking about?

UConnSportsGuy

Addicted to all things UCONN!
Reaction Score
The fact that this is in the newspaper, means that it is just a PR move by Malloy. His people put this out there so that it looks like "Malloy is being tough on ESPN and working for the people of CT".

If there was a meaningful move by Malloy to pressure ESPN, we would not be hearing about it as it would be in no one's best interest to have it be public knowledge.

The fact that this is being reported so freely in public means that there is no real pressure being put on ESPN by Malloy or the CT powers. Therefore, this report is just more bad news for us (keep piling it on)!

Reaction Score
Let's see - the ESPN tax deals with CT has and will cost us about $260mm. Let's redirect that benefit to UConn over 10 years or $26mm/yr. That will carry us for 10 years in lieu of a seat at the P5 table which ESPN helped stymie. CT should tell ESPN to e-f-f off now.

Yea, I know - wishful thinking - but these b@$T@rds are really p!!$$!ng me off!

Reaction Score
BRISTOL, Conn. — ESPN and Connecticut Gov. Dannel P. Malloy announced Tuesday the construction of a digital technology building and the addition of at least 200 jobs over five years in exchange for millions of dollars in state tax breaks.

Bringing in 200 new jobs....

"Malloy’s justification for the handout is that ESPN is a great business for the state of Connecticut, and given that it employs 4,000 people in Connecticut alone, that’s certainly true. The question, though, is whether handing a billion-dollar media empire millions of dollars in tax subsidies is the best use — or even a necessary use — of public resources. Considering the available evidence, the answer, as it almost always is when it comes to subsidies in sports, would seem to be no."

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
Story has been updated:

"The governor did speak with John Skipper, president of ESPN, and just as he did in a letter to Big 12 commissioner [Bob] Bowlsby, explained that UConn's strong academic and athletic program would make it an incredible asset to the Big 12."

Skipper then called Bowlsby, according to a source, and while maintaining the position that ESPN preferred no expansion, told the Big 12 commissioner if the league did add teams, that as corporate citizens in Connecticut, ESPN would appreciate that UConn be given all due consideration. 

That's actually a pretty significant revelation that he got espn to at least make the suggestion IMO. You could not reasonably expect the Governor to do much more than that. If you think Malloy (or anyone) could get ESPN to change their stance on expansion overall you are living in a fantasy world .

Husky25

Reaction Score
Story has been updated:

"The governor did speak with John Skipper, president of ESPN, and just as he did in a letter to Big 12 commissioner [Bob] Bowlsby, explained that UConn's strong academic and athletic program would make it an incredible asset to the Big 12."

Skipper then called Bowlsby, according to a source, and while maintaining the position that ESPN preferred no expansion, told the Big 12 commissioner if the league did add teams, that as corporate citizens in Connecticut, ESPN would appreciate that UConn be given all due consideration. 

That's actually a pretty significant revelation that he got espn to at least make the suggestion IMO. You could not reasonably expect the Governor to do much more than that. If you think Malloy (or anyone) could get ESPN to change their stance on expansion overall you are living in a fantasy world .

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Story has been updated:

I'm not a huge Malloy lover, but...

- he's been called out for not being active enough, and that is now at least partially debunked.
- you can't lay the dysfunction of the B12 at his feet.

(Not directed at you JH)

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score

- he's been called out for not being active enough, and that is now at least partially debunked.
#ThanksObama

Reaction Score

(Not directed at you JH)
GE left the state. It was possible that with the Aetna and Cigna deals, both could have shifted jobs away from CT.
People are leaving the state (well compensated people). CT has some serious financial issues that Malloy has not solved.
Not many businesses are fleeing to the State of CT.

Sadly, the State of CT is not in a strong position to challenge ESPN.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
It's probably too little too late for Malloy to speak with ESPN but this is further evidence to the fact that the relationship between ESPN and UConn is heating up. Benedict has made mention that he is looking forward to dialogue with ESPN and now Malloy is involved. It is encouraging in some way that both sides acknowledge, albeit in different ways, that UConn provides ESPN their best ROI. You could make a case that allowing ESPN to pay UConn $2M/yr allows them to invest in other conferences/schools. UConn drives ratings and brings interest to the dull G5 world. Our hoops programs speak for themselves but look how much attention this Diaco/ConFLiCT thing is getting nationally. It's not good press by any means, but people are talking about it because it involves UConn and people have heard of UConn (brand strength)...which is why they watch AAC games.

It is VERY difficult for anyone to justify UConn making $2M/yr in TV revenue, when our media rights are worth MUCH more, while 1/3 of the grandfathered P5 schools that UConn measures up well against make 10-20x that. If we are stuck in the AAC for a while, I think UConn and ESPN can work on a resolution to compensating UConn closer to its fair and accurate value.

Husky25

Reaction Score
It's probably too little too late for Malloy to speak with ESPN but this is further evidence to the fact that the relationship between ESPN and UConn is heating up. Benedict has made mention that he is looking forward to dialogue with ESPN and now Malloy is involved. It is encouraging in some way that both sides acknowledge, albeit in different ways, that UConn provides ESPN their best ROI. You could make a case that allowing ESPN to pay UConn $2M/yr allows them to invest in other conferences/schools. UConn drives ratings and brings interest to the dull G5 world. Our hoops programs speak for themselves but look how much attention this Diaco/ConFLiCT thing is getting nationally. It's not good press by any means, but people are talking about it because it involves UConn and people have heard of UConn (brand strength)...which is why they watch AAC games.

It is VERY difficult for anyone to justify UConn making $2M/yr in TV revenue, when our media rights are worth MUCH more, while 1/3 of the grandfathered P5 schools that UConn measures up well against make 10-20x that. If we are stuck in the AAC for a while, I think UConn and ESPN can work on a resolution to compensating UConn closer to its fair and accurate value.

I did a quick search on Twitter. It's not exactly wide spread, but there are more than a few places where the feeling is UCF comes off as petty and kinda inadvertently validates the rivalry. Scott Frost's explanation was political and pathetic.

Reaction Score

I appreciate your efforts, but I just don't see how espn pays uconn 1 cent more than they are contractually obligated to. it's just not how do they business. Espn has had an active hand picking the winners and losers in conference realignment, we happen to be the biggest loser in all this.

Until the AAC contract is up, they will gladly pay us what the contract calls for.

Reaction Score
FWIW, I'd heard this was happening at the beginning of August, so I'm pretty confident it's legit. Opinions on Malloy aside, he basically did exactly what the school asked him to do here.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom