MAL commits to UConn! | Page 6 | The Boneyard

MAL commits to UConn!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
He was pretty much the exact guy I was thinking of, him and Cheick Diallo were the first 2 guys I thought of

Not sure what is better (or worse depending on how you look at it), to hardly even play and get drafted like Diallo or to play, and play poorly, and get drafted like Skal.

Reaction Score
Not sure what is better (or worse depending on how you look at it), to hardly even play and get drafted like Diallo or to play, and play poorly, and get drafted like Skal.

That's the tricky part for these types of players deciding to go to the draft.

I think the rules are a little different for big men. A big will get drafted on potential much more often than a guard. Diallo's freak athleticism puts him in "draft on potential" watch, but I wouldn't necessarily call him a game-set-match lock to be drafted if he doesn't perform, especially considering the NBA isn't in desperate need for shooting guards at all right now, especially one that isn't a lights out shooter. Check the results from the last 4 or 5 drafts. There are some picks high in the first round, but most are great shooters or have some other unique quality. Someone like Wiggins is a good 2 inches taller than Diallo with similar athleticism. The NBA wants shooting guards at 6'7+, and shooters, these days ideally. Obviously Diallo is unique in his athleticism and transition ability, but he's still quite thin and MUST become a better shooter to make it at the next level. We've moved away from the shooting guard heavy offenses of the 90s and early 2000s. I hate to say it, because I loved that style of play.

Reaction Score

I think the rules are a little different for big men. A big will get drafted on potential much more often than a guard. Diallo's freak athleticism puts him in "draft on potential" watch, but I wouldn't necessarily call him a game-set-match lock to be drafted if he doesn't perform, especially considering the NBA isn't in desperate need for shooting guards at all right now, especially one that isn't a lights out shooter. Check the results from the last 4 or 5 drafts. There are some picks high in the first round, but most are great shooters or have some other unique quality. Someone like Wiggins is a good 2 inches taller than Diallo with similar athleticism. The NBA wants shooting guards at 6'7+, and shooters, these days ideally. Obviously Diallo is unique in his athleticism and transition ability, but he's still quite thin and MUST become a better shooter to make it at the next level. We've moved away from the shooting guard heavy offenses of the 90s and early 2000s. I hate to say it, because I loved that style of play.

I was trying to think of comps the last few years for HD. Wiggins is the most obvious, but I think the height makes a difference and Wiggins has a solid mid range game. The comp makes sense though.

Mudiay is even more intriguing to me. I know he's considered a pg, but he's close in height and athletic ability and also a mediocre shooter. Maybe HD will consider him when deciding to go to school or go over seas. let's hope not.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score

Pretty good post - people go too far with the production/potential thing. For a SG/wing, you can get drafted on potential, but you have to have shown flashes. Bigs, not that they can show NO flashes, but it's different, as you pointed out.

I love player comps, I always do them in my head if not within a discussion...I think someone last year like Jaylen Brown for Cal is a decent comp to Diallo in that if he plays with some inconsistencies but shows enough flashes, he'll be a top 10 pick...but there's a lower floor with a wing such as him than there is with a skilled, raw big.

If he dominates/is more flash than not, he's durant/rose/evans type of guaranteed top 5 pick. Diallo I mean, of course, but I mean all of that generally with that type of SG/wing nowadays.

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
I was trying to think of comps the last few years for HD. Wiggins is the most obvious, but I think the height makes a difference and Wiggins has a solid mid range game. The comp makes sense though.
Iguodala

Reaction Score

Mudiay is even more intriguing to me. I know he's considered a pg, but he's close in height and athletic ability and also a mediocre shooter. Maybe HD will consider him when deciding to go to school or go over seas. let's hope not.

I don't know about a comp right now, but I think his ceiling is Demar Derozan. I think I've said this before on here. Look at Derozan's mixtapes from hs--very similar style. Limited 3 game, high athleticism. Derozan just has a more developed mid-range post-up that he developed in college and in the pros. About the same height, very skinny, etc.

I don't think his comp is Mudiay or Wiggins. Mudiay is a stocky, powerful PG from the limited highlights I've seen. Wiggins is a tall SG with freak athleticism; his height separates his style of play from Diallo. Wiggins can rise over people, Diallo is going to have to learn to be a little more crafty than that for the NBA. all imho of course.

I haven't been watching the NBA for more than 5-6 years religiously, anyone know of any older comps that would work well for Diallo?

Reaction Score
I don't know about a comp right now, but I think his ceiling is Demar Derozan. I think I've said this before on here. Look at Derozan's mixtapes from hs--very similar style. Limited 3 game, high athleticism. Derozan just has a more developed mid-range post-up that he developed in college and in the pros. About the same height, very skinny, etc.

I don't think his comp is Mudiay or Wiggins. Mudiay is a stocky, powerful PG from the limited highlights I've seen. Wiggins is a tall SG with freak athleticism; his height separates his style of play from Diallo. Wiggins can rise over people, Diallo is going to have to learn to be a little more crafty than that for the NBA. all imho of course.

I haven't been watching the NBA for more than 5-6 years religiously, anyone know of any older comps that would work well for Diallo?

Reaction Score

I agree that he will probably put up Derozanesque stats. Probably high point totals, little to no playmaking and mid 40's fg%.

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
Can we still get Scruggs, or even Beatty after MAL's commitment???
Everyone seems to think the answer is "no." I suspect everyone is right in this case.

Reaction Score
Thanks.

Connecticut has been the hot landing spot for point guards for decades. Calhoun did a tremendous job of locking up elite ball-handlers in the past when he convinced Chris Smith, Khalid El-Amin, Kemba Walker, Marcus Williams, Shabazz Napier, Ryan Boatright and many more to play for the Huskies.

Writer should have put Taliek Brown in there since he was the highest rated PG to commit to UConn. People seem to forget about him since he wasn't a great scorer and didn't play in the NBA. But he was the starting PG on a team that won a championship.

Reaction Score
Thanks.

Connecticut has been the hot landing spot for point guards for decades. Calhoun did a tremendous job of locking up elite ball-handlers in the past when he convinced Chris Smith, Khalid El-Amin, Kemba Walker, Marcus Williams, Shabazz Napier, Ryan Boatright and many more to play for the Huskies.

Writer should have put Taliek Brown in there since he was the highest rated PG to commit to UConn. People seem to forget about him since he wasn't a great scorer and didn't play in the NBA. But he was the starting PG on a team that won a championship.
AJ often gets forgotten as well. A tremendous college PG who led us to a final four and went to the NBA.

Reaction Score
AJ often gets forgotten as well. A tremendous college PG who led us to a final four and went to the NBA.
Frankly, as much as I love Taliek, I'd put AJ on that list. He was a borderline AA his junior year before his ACL tear, and a Jerome Dyson MCL from a date with UNC in the title game--a game we'd have been about 50-50 to win, IMHO.

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
Thanks.

And maybe Kevin Ollie and Doron Sheffer. Plus AJ as mentioned in 33's reply.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Frankly, as much as I love Taliek, I'd put AJ on that list. He was a borderline AA his junior year before his ACL tear, and a Jerome Dyson MCL from a date with UNC in the title game--a game we'd have been about 50-50 to win, IMHO.

TB was the MAN
Much maligned but to me he epitomized UConn PG
One of my top 10 Huskies

Reaction Score
What's more impressive (and necessary) is that we're starting to get a Top 40 PG every year, which fits KO's 2-PG offense.
I forget who it was, but someone mentioned we should be getting a PG every year. They all stay 3 years (maybe even 4) and you have a constant rotation of 3-4 PGs to be playing that 2 PG rotation.

And it creates a nice system of experienced guards with the younger guys learning for a year or two before taking over the team

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom