MAL commits to UConn! | Page 5 | The Boneyard

MAL commits to UConn!

Status
Not open for further replies.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I fully expect Jalen to make a big sophomore jump but to be NBA ready by the end of the season is a bridge too far.

Reaction Score
Great Get! Now we feel like Louisville with a stockpile of great guards. It JA stays we will have plenty of versatile guards next year.

Reaction Score
He shot 40% from 3 over the second half of the season.

Did not know that. He only took 44 total, so I'm not sure what that sample size is... or how badly he shot before...

Reaction Score
First 18 games: 4/24 playing 21 mpg
Last 18 games: 8/20 playing 25 mpg
I would say that's certainly worthy of the small sample response. But at the same time, I think it's realistic to expect him to maintain something like that 40% for this whole season

C

Chief00

We are looking good in the after bunk transition. Welcome, MAL!

When I predicted this - I said I was still concerned about that element. Quite frankly, we went from a heavy favorite to a 50/50 situation according to MAL (not sure if I totally believe but PC did) - with one of his best friends being on our team. We can't always count on that circumstance.

I would need to see a couple level playing field signings before I can say we are on a roll with a new formula.

I think you can say though the belief that KO can get a guard into The League is pretty strong with recruits.

C

Chief00

The scout PC board doesn't seem to think Ollie has done anything with any guards. They seem to think it was all calhoun's doing
Quite frankly, Calhoun would be the first to give KO credit for working with our guards. I am not sure where this JC vs KO mindset is coming from, since I read it on this board too. As far as I know - they are on the same page.

Reaction Score
Kind of. Marcus Williams played half a year (2003-2004), a full year (2004-2005) and another half year (2005-2006) then entered the draft. It was spread over three years but he did only play two.
Players can leave whenever they want but without Kemba or Bazz ability to take over games as a pg it makes no sense to me. We didn't see it last year and Kemba became Kemba year 3 and Bazz was year 4. If he becomes that kind of player for us we area top team this year.

Reaction Score
Players can leave whenever they want but without Kemba or Bazz ability to take over games as a pg it makes no sense to me. We didn't see it last year and Kemba became Kemba year 3 and Bazz was year 4. If he becomes that kind of player for us we area top team this year.

I think you may be confused as to how the draft works.

Reaction Score
Bazz was an AA caiber PG his 3rd year, and yea, based on your responses you seem know very little about how the draft works. You don't have to be a dominant, AA player in order to declare for the draft and get drafted, all you would have to do is watch one single draft to know that.

Reaction Score
I posted on last page (I think last post)....

How hard is it to win four titles over the summer and how meaningful is this for MAL? Love guards that step up in "winning time"

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Adams will be our primary 1 and leader on the floor. No way around that. He is not and will not play 2. He is banging on the door his sophomore year to be our leader. Notice that he's hosting a visit instead of Rodney? Kid is a natural born leader and that's why KO wanted him from day 1. Our 1 and 2 are interchangeable in our system. So lump Jalen, rique, vital, MAL together. Sometimes HamD could play there if he comes, depending on opponents lineups and foul trouble.

He probably hosted the visit because he played on the same two teams as MAL-- Mass Rivals and Brewster. Also, importantly, he's likely going to be here next year, whereas Rodney is definitely not--so a future teammate.

Not at all saying JA's not going to be a leader this years, but I fully expect this to be his team this year. Rodney's nick should be The Ambassador.

Reaction Score
Bazz was an AA caiber PG his 3rd year, and yea, based on your responses you seem know very little about how the draft works. You don't have to be a dominant, AA player in order to declare for the draft and get drafted, all you would have to do is watch one single draft to know that.
I'm talking about what's best for his long term development and career. He's not Chris Paul or Kyrie. Based on what we saw last year to be drafted in the first round he would have to blow up this year. If he's going in the second round he should stay for his 3rd year.

Reaction Score
I'm talking about what's best for his long term development and career. He's not Chris Paul or Kyrie. Based on what we saw last year to be drafted in the first round he would have to blow up this year. If he's going in the second round he should stay for his 3rd year.
The point people are making is that the NBA draft isn't about production at the college level but potential at the NBA level. If some team sees something they like from him that could be enough to make him a 1st round pick, even if he doesn't completely blow up

Reaction Score
The point people are making is that the NBA draft isn't about production at the college level but potential at the NBA level. If some team sees something they like from him that could be enough to make him a 1st round pick, even if he doesn't completely blow up

True that. Skal Labissiere is a testament to this idea.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
anyone have articles or videos about his decision to UCONN?

Reaction Score
image.jpg

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Jim Calhoun isn't walking through that door. That lineup is way too big, with way not enough ballhandling.

With KO's (correct) preference for smaller, modern, guard-oriented lineups, it'll be a lot closer to:

PG: Gilbert (S0), Vital (So)
SG: Adams (Jr), MAL (Fr)
SF: Diallo (Fr), Jackson (So)
PF: Larrier (Jr), Diarra (So)
C: Enoch (C), Durham (So)

Probably more accurately, the 1 and 2 positions would be interchangeable, with Adams and Gilbert starting and playing 30 mpg, MAL the first off the bench at 15-20 mpg, and Vital getting the remainder.

Diallo and Larrier would start at the 3 and 4. Jackson the primary backup at the 3/4 when we go perimeter-oriented, and Diarra for those (hopefully) rare minutes where we play 2 bigs together.

Enoch starts at the 5, with Durham the primary backup, though if Durham and Diarra are in together, it's probably Durham spending more time at the perimeter on offense.

Ideally we'll add a stud big to complement the 4/5 rotation, in addition to Diallo, and maybe a bench SF as well.

I think that's a depth chart, not a proposed lineup.

Reaction Score
I knew over a year ago when I ran into a member of this kid's family by chance that UConn was where he wanted to play, and that if Ollie stayed on him he will sign with us. Glad it played out like expected and everything worked out for the best, I need to find her and say congrats.

Welcome MAL.
this story isn't true or at least the part or them being close to Shabazz and his family because I am from Worcester and went to HS with makai and he and his family aren't from Boston nor do they know Shabazz, none the less he's still a husky so it all worked out

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
I would say that's certainly worthy of the small sample response. But at the same time, I think it's realistic to expect him to maintain something like that 40% for this whole season
Definitely a small sample size, but I think it's indicative of what he can do if he's not taking bad, off-the-dribble 3s. He basically only shot on kick-outs or on wide-open catch-and-shoots during the second half of the year, which is why his percentage went way up.

Which gets to this point: if he was a 65% FT shooter who just got into a hot streak, then I'd say "Yeah we need to defer to the sample size and just assume he's a poor 3-pt shooter." But he's not. Dude's an 85% FT shooter with a sweet stroke, and that tends to translate.

So, now that he's learned at least a little bit of the difference between a good shot and a bad shot, I think he'll be a weapon from behind the arc

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom