Makai Ashton-Langford & Makhtar Gueye will take unofficial to UConn on Tuesday | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Makai Ashton-Langford & Makhtar Gueye will take unofficial to UConn on Tuesday

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Quite frankly, we have two open ships - it's been a string of misses since Vitale.
That's part of recruiting but we had just run the table on all the guys we signed starting with Shonn, Gibbs, Larrier and the the 4 or 5 Freshman for 2016/2017. Add in Brown who appropriately got subtracted - but we had a real winning formula. No offense to Coach Miller's facility tours etc - but yeah we have loss some memorable close out sizzle. Some guys are just fun to be around - no criticism of other guys. Brimah is a super guy and Zpurvis seems to be fun and makes a connection/ but
That's a bummer about Miller. Seems like he has had a great opportunity to seize some of the official visit sizzle that we are lacking since Bunk left. You think we'll be able to recover?

Reaction Score
I have seen Miller get down after huge program wins. I have seen Bunky do the running man. One thing I know for sure: Coach Miller is a better dancer by far.

Reaction Score
Chief's account is maintained either by a very talented comedy writer who's created a truly bizarre fictional character or an actual human being who has a very tenuous grasp on both logic and reality. Which is just a long way of saying if you're looking to have a rational exchange with him it's not going to happen. Rational thought is not his thing. Better to just enjoy the insanity.
Your first idea is pretty close to my longstanding theory:
Chief is really just @Fishy trolling us out of boredom.

C

Chief00

That's a bummer about Miller. Seems like he has had a great opportunity to seize some of the official visit sizzle that we are lacking since Bunk left. You think we'll be able to recover?

Recover? Sure, let's not forget we had a string of recruiting near misses for awhile before we went on a roll. So I have faith KO will make adjustments and we will start signing guys soon. I think one just always has to be objective about what is working and what isn't. It isn't that anyone including Coach Miller is doing anything wrong - we just have to compete at a high level - and yes built on everything else we do substantively with some fun that only other kids supply - there are lots of good kids in the program but not everyone can be the spark plug for everyone else having a great time. Bunk wasn't even in the program very and I know some on this board did not approve of everything about him - but it was an atmosphere in which we signed a lot of guys - due to KO - UConn history- putting guys in the league - and yes guys just enjoying their visit (oops I forgot academics programs too)

C

Chief00

so dumb.... string of misses since Vitale is the dumbest statement on the Yard.

I agree some are not misses but guys who did not verbally commit after a visit and are still playing the field - so I may be premature to sound my concern - and perhaps I have been spoiled by the winning formula we had - but good metrics reporting picks up micro needle movements up early - true sometimes when one does that it's false negatives - anyways I hope my gut is wrong - and we sign HD, MAL or someone else meaningful soon. JC sometimes made late recruiting mistakes despite great successes but he seldom was sitting in mid June with two open ships. He did not believe that was a good situation. Some might argue Dham surprised KO by creating one of those openings but I personally don't believe it.

Reaction Score
I agree some are not misses but guys who did not verbally commit after a visit and are still playing the field - so I may be premature to sound my concern - and perhaps I have been spoiled by the winning formula we had - but good metrics reporting picks up micro needle movements up early - true sometimes when one does that it's false negatives - anyways I hope my gut is wrong - and we sign HD, MAL or someone else meaningful soon. JC sometimes made late recruiting mistakes despite great successes but he seldom was sitting in mid June with two open ships. He did not believe that was a good situation. Some might argue Dham surprised KO by creating one of those openings but I personally don't believe it.
This strength you speak about with JC was also his weakness. Lets just say it didnt always work out so well.

C

Chief00

This strength you speak about with JC was also his weakness. Lets just say it didnt always work out so well.
I agree and it impacted APR due to late guys being stretches and then transfers. But, I do know that's his philosophy and he also had some great successes. I believe Okafor was a late spring guy and Shabazz reclassified maybe - if my recollection on those two is wrong someone will let me know. AD was very late and true to JC's rule there was no ship a week before school started. But, he did not see it as an obstacle (ha ha)!

Reaction Score
I agree and it impacted APR due to late guys being stretches and then transfers. But, I do know that's his philosophy and he also had some great successes. I believe Okafor was a late spring guy and Shabazz reclassified maybe - if my recollection on those two is wrong someone will let me know. AD was very late and true to JC's rule there was no ship a week before school started. But, he did not see it as an obstacle (ha ha)!

I think signing someone late can be great, but it has to be the right guy - ala Drummond/Shabazz. A reclass is really the ideal situation to pick up a great player late. It's someone you've most likely already been recruiting so you've vetted them and they've vetted you

C

Chief00

I have seen Miller get down after huge program wins. I have seen Bunky do the running man. One thing I know for sure: Coach Miller is a better dancer by far.

Another thing I agree with - Coach Miller is a good dancer. Since you brought it up - He can really cut it up - saw him down at Shrine at Foxwoods with KO - he can dance.

Reaction Score
Another thing I agree with - Coach Miller is a good dancer. Since you brought it up - He can really cut it up - saw him down at Shrine at Foxwoods with KO - he can dance.
Tell us more. Please.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
My sources tell me our recent slide in recruiting has been due to some major UConn booster feigning friendships with star players. No one wants that association hanging over their head.

pj

Reaction Score
My sources tell me our recent slide in recruiting has been due to some major UConn booster feigning friendships with star players. No one wants that association hanging over their head.

Good to hear, I was afraid that minor boosters like Chief might be hurting us.

Reaction Score
With you I am always wrong when I am right - because it's a correlation not a causation or so you hypotheses - whatever -results are results!

Guys like you label Bunk and he was just a fun guy who you apparently viewed as being on the wrong side of the tracks - so you can't see how more open minded kids just like being part of fun. Without that sizzle we are now experiencing the challenge closing that we had a couple years ago.
Not to mention losing Sam Jr. and how profoundly that's hurting recruiting.

Reaction Score
Recover? Sure, let's not forget we had a string of recruiting near misses for awhile before we went on a roll. So I have faith KO will make adjustments and we will start signing guys soon. I think one just always has to be objective about what is working and what isn't. It isn't that anyone including Coach Miller is doing anything wrong - we just have to compete at a high level - and yes built on everything else we do substantively with some fun that only other kids supply - there are lots of good kids in the program but not everyone can be the spark plug for everyone else having a great time. Bunk wasn't even in the program very and I know some on this board did not approve of everything about him - but it was an atmosphere in which we signed a lot of guys - due to KO - UConn history- putting guys in the league - and yes guys just enjoying their visit (oops I forgot academics programs too)
My god you're a freakin' weirdo.

C

Chief00

Strange post, which I believe is very untrue.

Reaction Score
If fair is fair, then I'm putting the blame for us missing out on Diamond Stone squarely on Bunkey's shoulders. Never mind all this UA nonsense. Not to forget to mention him screwing up the recruitments of Chris Clarke, Tevin Mack, Derrick Jones, Tyler Dorsey, VJ King et al.

C

Chief00

If fair is fair, then I'm putting the blame for us missing out on Diamond Stone squarely on Bunkey's shoulders. Never mind all this UA nonsense. Not to forget to mention him screwing up the recruitments of Chris Clarke, Tevin Mack, Derrick Jones, Tyler Dorsey, VJ King et al.

Lots of likes but not lots of truth - Bunk did not start until Samuel left town - these guys were not on his watch.

Reaction Score
MAL is the guy I've wanted for almost 2 years now....

To me he is the guy, over any other player for 2017, I believe he fits what we do perfectly, to me has to be our number 1 priority...

Love his game!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99