Maine Transfer Issac Vann visiting UConn on 4/18 | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Maine Transfer Issac Vann visiting UConn on 4/18

Status
Not open for further replies.

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
We have zero of these guys right now.
We have a had one redshirt transfer sitting on our bench almost every season with Ollie. Also, how many we have on our bench right now is completely irrelevant to how I feel about our prospects of adding another.

Reaction Score
this kid could potentially have a upside.. sit a year, and learn... then play 3 years for us... when he's eligible in 2017 he'll probably be ready to do some nice things for us....

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
We have a had one redshirt transfer sitting on our bench almost every season with Ollie. Also, how many we have on our bench right now is completely irrelevant to how I feel about our prospects of adding another.

Well the complaint was, "Not a fan of having so many scholarships tied up to transfers who have to wait out a year".

And we have zero scholarships tied up right now. So zero is too many? Makes no sense. And we've often had one in the past. One is too many? Damn glad we had Purvis and Larrier.

And with regards to the point at hand, would you rather have another med student at the end of the bench, or some kid that can actually play (in practice)?

Reaction Score
Any kid that averages 16ppg as a freshman at a D1 school can be a good player at the high major level. The fact that he will probably improve Because he is young is just gravy.

Reaction Score
Without getting into the issue of whether a Maine transfer has the ability to contribute at this level, isn't this a guy who would effectively be a 2017 recruit anyway?

Why not wait to see how our 2017 recruiting shakes out -- a kid of this caliber and skill set may be attainable through the "usual" high school recruiting channels.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Without getting into the issue of whether a Maine transfer has the ability to contribute at this level, isn't this a guy who would effectively be a 2017 recruit anyway?

Why not wait to see how our 2017 recruiting shakes out -- a kid of this caliber and skill set may be attainable through the "usual" high school recruiting channels.
None of the 2017 recruits have averaged 16ppg in D1

Reaction Score

5 scholarships open for 2017 and 16 ppg as a freshman is enticing no matter what level.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Holy crap you guys are nuts. I'll put it simply, I trust Kevin and staff to evaluate the kid and determine whether it is worth bringing him in or not. It seems a safe bet that he won't be the star here, but if he can shoot, rebound and play D, he can contribute. He'd likely be here three years, and having a solid veteran role player is always valuable.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score

Four things:

1. who's to say that high school kid wants to come to UCONN.
2. who's to say that high school kid can play like that at the college level.
3. this kid would be 20+ years old by the time he gets on the court. Experience + physical development + year in the program is better than anything a frosh is bringing in.
4. A bird in the hand...

That said, as tcf says, if we could grab A Diallo, you'd take him in a heart beat.

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
Yes, we don't want to take a player who would not work out at the high D1 level. Yes, we could use a talented player who could possibly develop into a contributing player. I would also prefer we get Alpha who could play next year, but he may well want to go somewhere where he can stand out more. But, mostly, this is KO's call and we are not in the position we were when we took Lubin, for example. Go KO, get us some good kids who can make us better!

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Vann looked pretty good against us, especially given that it was his first collegiate game.

I didn't see him again this season, but looking at his stats, he more than held his own.

One caveat - he is an absolute fouling machine. He fouled out of one-fourth of the games he played.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Vann looked pretty good against us, especially given that it was his first collegiate game.

I didn't see him again this season, but looking at his stats, he more than held his own.

One caveat - he is an absolute fouling machine. He fouled out of one-fourth of the games he played.
Obviously then he's AB's replacement.

Reaction Score
I don't follow recruiting close enough to know the answer to his, but since he's a transfer he wouldn't be able to play until 17-18. Are there no other better targets at his position left in the high school class of 18?
Probably not.

Your take is a weird one. You're so focused on the fact that he played at Maine, but there's a reason he's transferring from there after one year - he has much better options.

Not saying he'd be great at UConn, but some guys do develop a little later. This shouldn't be a hard point to grasp.

pj

Reaction Score

Vann is starting at his new school in June 2016. You have at most a month to wait, and certainly cannot wait to see how "2017 recruiting shakes out", since you won't know that until November 2016 at the earliest.

Reaction Score
Oh yeah, don't get me wrong, I'm not saying it's priority number 1. My first priority by a mile is another guard, preferably combo. We are thin as hell right now, and well and truly *ucked if Purvis leaves.

Assuming Purvis comes back, he definitely leaves a year later.

UConn seems to have the Deandre Daniels type 3/4 already on campus in Durham and Larrier. I'd love to see them grab a 6'5" combo who is a bit quicker and more of combo/small forward tweener, ala Rip Hamilton.

We've been specializing a lot in these NBA-sized 3s who are a little bit oddball for the college game.

Reaction Score
One year from now we will have 5 open scholarships and will only have 2 wings on the roster with Larrier and Jackson. Between this year and next year we will probably add 3 more wings. Hopefully Hamidou Diallo is one of them, but we still have 2 more spots for Brandon Randolph/Issac Vann/Alpha Diallo, etc. This is not a make or break scholarship
He takes a scholarship next year even if he sits . I thought we only had three
Maybe I'm confused.

Reaction Score
So now 8% is "so many"? BTW Purvis was on the bench in 2014. I don't see the massive dilemma with having 12 vs 13 available players.

Can't ignore the fact that on of those two recruits will have had a year of D1 experience and another year practicing directly with the team, while the other... not to mention, the timing doesn't work to wait and see how the class "shakes out." The early sign period for 2017 recruits is after the beginning of next season. Vann will have found a new home long before we have any idea how the 2017 class will turn out. Hell, we still have plenty of time left for the 2016 class to finalize.

Last edited:

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
He takes a scholarship next year even if he sits . I thought we only had three
Maybe I'm confused.
The quote is "one year from now" - meaning after the 2016/17 season. That's the direction the conversation took since it was a discussion over taking Isaac Vann vs. taking some unnamed 2017 recruit who would come in as a freshman.

You are correct in that we have 3 open scholarships coming into the 2016/17 season.

Reaction Score
He is a state resident wont need scholarship ...just like Drumond..in state tuition and financial aid. They will find the money..

Reaction Score
UMaine basketball's leading scorer plans to transfer - The Portland Press Herald / Maine Sunday Telegram

A comment posted at the end of this article

"...While most transfers usually are required to sit out a year, I believe Walsh released Vann from his scholarship making him eligible to play immediately."

I know it's really sad to put any stock into what some random comment says, but does anyone know if that's even possible? Can a coach release a transfer from scholarship thus allowing them to play immediately elsewhere? I've never heard of it before.

Reaction Score
UMaine basketball's leading scorer plans to transfer - The Portland Press Herald / Maine Sunday Telegram

"...While most transfers usually are required to sit out a year, I believe Walsh released Vann from his scholarship making him eligible to play immediately."

I know it's really sad to put any stock into what some random comment says, but does anyone know if that's even possible? Can a coach release a transfer from scholarship thus allowing them to play immediately elsewhere? I've never heard of it before.

Pretty sure every transfer needs to be released from their scholarship. He's gonna need to sit for a year.

Reaction Score

In addition to every transfer requiring a release, didn't the NCAA eliminate waivers for immediate eligibility except for grad students?

Reaction Score
I live right down the road from the Maine Black Bears and the only thing I will say is that Maine the past couple years in particular, has had all of their best talent transfer out. They have a guy who will be playing for Kansas State next year named Justin Edwards that will be pretty good. I think Isaac Vann looked pretty good to me, when I saw him play. Sometimes I go to their games because they are cheap and highly accessible for me. It would be a nice get for future roster depth. I do not think he could be a starter, with the influx of talent coming in, but I do think that he may be on the talent level of Lasan Kromah by his senior year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom