Maddux, Glavine and Thomas | The Boneyard

Maddux, Glavine and Thomas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Good list....Biggio missed by 2 votes so he is in next time.

Played against Biggio in college when he was at Seton Hall and a catcher...they had an unreal team...

They also had....
Mo Vaughn, 1B/DH
Craig Morton, P
John Valentin, SS

And I am blanking on his name (maybe Marte Robinson) was their supposed can't miss guy then who hit bunch of HRs (think over 20) but blew out his knee in minors and never made it...they won BE tourney in 1987 and went like 50-10 for season...but don't think they made it to Omaha...

Anywho we play them in doubleheader in Orange, NJ (South Orange?) which is real bad area and second game is running long (high scoring) and umps declare regardless of score, game is over at 7pm (think it was like 7th inning of 9 inning game and already 6:45pm, something like that). We ask why not turn on lights and play it out....they say too dangerous to be in neighborhood after dark so game has to end at 7pm...which it did.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I always liked that description of Maddux being a 2-pitch pitcher. The one you thought was coming and the one you got.

He may be best pitcher ever in terms of guy who dominated like he did and didn't throw hard at all (88-90)...

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I always liked that description of Maddux being a 2-pitch pitcher. The one you thought was coming and the one you got.

He and Pedro had similar philosophies. Never throw the same speed to the same area of the batter box twice in a row. Hinders the hitters from timing the pitches.

Reaction Score
He and Pedro had similar philosophies. Never throw the same speed to the same area of the batter box twice in a row. Hinders the hitters from timing the pitches.

Which is why even when Pedro threw 89 instead of 97....he was still great.

Reaction Score
The other thing about Maddux, beyond his outhinking hitters, was his superb control. If he intended to throw inside, the pitch went inside, not over the plate. Could be a long time before another pitcher gets to 350 wins.

Reaction Score
Maddux was truly an iron man. He came up when he was 20, retired when he was 42 and rarely pitched less than 200 innings. I don't recall him ever being injured. I see no one in the game today that is likely to reach 300 wins.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Maddux was truly an iron man. He came up when he was 20, retired when he was 42 and rarely pitched less than 200 innings. I don't recall him ever being injured. I see no one in the game today that is likely to reach 300 wins.

Musta been the juice.

Reaction Score

I don't know if he invented that pitch that would start inside to a left handed hitter and then comeback over the plate, but he's the first guy I remember seeing throw that pitch. It's fairly ubiquitous these days, but he's the one that sticks out in my mind as the master of that pitch. You'd see so many hitters bail out as the pitch came to the plate, only to see it called a strike. Still pisses me off that he refused to become a Yankee, but I suppose it worked out for him in the end.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom