Mad Men: The Final Season | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Mad Men: The Final Season

Reaction Score
I really, really hope Weiner doesn't go there. Peggy's been a shrew this year, angry and afraid of Don, and the dance at the end was their reconciliation. You could feel the tremendous relief when she rested her head on her one-time mentor's shoulder, and she lit up when he embraced her pitch in the burger place.

I don't think there is any chance that Don and Peggy will have a thing.the writing on the show has just been too great for that to happen.

Reaction Score
I don't think there is any chance that Don and Peggy will have a thing.the writing on the show has just been too great for that to happen.
I agree but I listen to a podcast or two and have seen people speculate about it.

Only definitive direction I can see after most recent episode is they are kind of obligated to give Joannie a happy ending because she's made the tough personal choice a few times now (notwithstanding her compromised professional/personal choice that could still doom her - ok take it back, nothing is definitive other than Lou is going DOWN!).

One criticism (some have criticized Don & Megan back together without a specific detente but I think its fine and their post breakup phone convo after she sent him back to NY showed she still cared) I haven't heard is there were no repercussions shown from Don's grandstanding cigarette gambit. If Lou and Cutler want him out wouldn't they have used Don's insubordination and violation of the Draper Rules to oust him? AT the very least I think we needed a conversation where those two decided to hold it in abeyance pending the decision by Commander cigs. My best guess now is they get the cigs conditioned upon Don's ouster and that comes back to roost but just as Lou & Cutler think they are dooming Don, Roger & Don run them down with a 1969 Buick Riviera (with Bob Benson's body in the trunk ;).

Last edited:

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I am only 2 seasons into Season 5. I watch almost no original programming shows during February and March because of basketball.

I am really pissed to have accidentally read the spoiler that Lane hanged himself at the end of Season 5. Mofo, I really liked that character.

Reaction Score
I am only 2 seasons into Season 5. I watch almost no original programming shows during February and March because of basketball.

I am really pissed to have accidentally read the spoiler that Lane hanged himself at the end of Season 5. Mofo, I really liked that character.
If its any consolation he had a nice victory over Pete 'the grimy little pimp' an episode or two before his demise ;)

Reaction Score
For whatever reason I lost track and didn't know it was the last and now I see 2015 - those f'ers!!! Very solid episode to finish but what can't they have 12 episodes like everyone else………..duckk

Reaction Score
My takeaway from this season is that I have never seen someone so blah about the realization that he was about to be in a threesome. His reaction was very "well, if we must".

Great show, so perfectly put together, and I can not wait to see the finish.

Reaction Score
3 strikes for me on predictions (SPOILER ALERT):
1) Roger & Don were getting Buick (nope it really was the McCann guy trying to buy the entire agency not just Don)

2) I said Commander cigs says YES. They said no, but at least I was right that Cutler used this as grounds to oust Don. Inexplicable that Cutler didn't try to build consensus before just firing off the breach letter AND that he had the audacity to put other's names on it. Can we see the letter?!

3) Looks like Lou is gone in low key style, but Cutler survives (its a lot of money!). Again I was half right in that Roger had would ride the white horse.

Great episode. The Harry Crane mental pratfall comedy is the gift that keeps on giving. As the episode ended I was shocked and befuddled, but like a lot of things Mad Men with time the song & dance was just so much greatness.

Only thing I can't get my arms around now is how they carry on with Don, Joan and Pete as nouveau rich. They all have 'F _ U' money and yet we need them to work for the show to maintain its ballast.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
If its any consolation he had a nice victory over Pete 'the grimy little pimp' an episode or two before his demise ;)

"Am I the only one that wants to see this?" and "Just so you know, I had Lane"

Roger Sterling is one of the best characters in TV history.

Reaction Score
"Am I the only one that wants to see this?" and "Just so you know, I had Lane"

Roger Sterling is one of the best characters in TV history.
No doubt, I've got Roger right up there with Henry Blake, Dietrich from Barney Miller (had to look up Steve Landesburg to get that name) as HOF most likeable & funny supporting comedic characters.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
No doubt, I've got Roger right up there with Henry Blake, Dietrich from Barney Miller (had to look up Steve Landesburg to get that name) as HOF most likeable & funny supporting comedic characters.
How do you not include "Coach" Ernie Pantuso?

Reaction Score
Lou getting bitchslapped was great. Everybody that everybody likes ended the season on a high note, everyone that everyone dislikes got shut down a bit. I only like Pete because he is on Team Don until at least it no longer is to his benefit.

5 year contracts with McCann? Don basically selling out in order to keep his job and win the war? It seems obvious where this is going, but that would be too predictable. We're probably in for something good NEXT YEAR WTF!

They might as well have given us two more full seasons.... AMC.

Reaction Score
How do you not include "Coach" Ernie Pantuso?
Nice catch, I was struggling with Blake as he's kind of half dumb half smart. Adding coach sets up a nice continuum of brains Deitrich-Sterling-Blake-Coach.

I think Pete Campbell AND Harry Crane are also in a slightly lower pantheon of supporting characters you love to hate.

Reaction Score
I only like Pete because he is on Team Don until at least it no longer is to his benefit.

That's what I tried to explain to my wife last night when she increduously asked me, while catching up on the series, why I liked Pete too. I disliked the little weasel when he was trying to shake down my boy for a promotion early on in the show, and I like the little sycophant now that he's sucking up to Don. It's all about being on the right team. Cooper explained it well to Roger in their last chat about the Don-Cutler brouhahaha.

Reaction Score
That's what I tried to explain to my wife last night when she increduously asked me, while catching up on the series, why I liked Pete too. I disliked the little weasel when he was trying to shake down my boy for a promotion early on in the show, and I like the little sycophant now that he's sucking up to Don. It's all about being on the right team. Cooper explained it well to Roger in their last chat about the Don-Cutler brouhahaha.
Exactamundo. I can like Pete in his current state and root for him to f--- his way out of it with his new girl while still siding with Trudy when Pete briefly reverts back into his caveman pig-ish core self.
Pete's lines in that last episode were so great;
"Marriage is a RACKET"
"This is a sensitive piece of horseflesh we are dealing with"
I really like the way he's brokered himself an acceptance of Don's talents and via that last quote still clinging to some sort of class based superiority. I hope we get a scene next year where Pete has to woo Buick and therefore Bob Benson. That would be the best. "NOT GOOD BOB!"

Reaction Score
So when Cooper appeared and began serenading Don, did anyone else think that Don had died too?

Also, what about Cooper's sister? Could she figure into anything if he left his shares to her?

Reaction Score
So when Cooper appeared and began serenading Don, did anyone else think that Don had died too?

Also, what about Cooper's sister? Could she figure into anything if he left his shares to her?

I over thought the story line on the voting interest, but here's my conclusion based on everyone's acceptance of the notion that Cooper's death screwed Don: the partnership agreement must have had a provision that compels the partners to buy out a deceased partner's shares on his death. That's the only way to account for the change in votes. Otherwise, Cooper's estate would be able to vote in any major partnership decision and Don could've defeated a renewed motion by Cutler to remove him.

Reaction Score
Loved the midseason finale. Great stuff. Especially loved seeing Peggy become that great pitch artists Don has always been. Cooper was a real drag, but, you know.. last season and all. Sterling basically killing the "kill Don" plot was awesome. Love that he did anything he could to keep them together. Wouldn't be the same without them both.

Can't wait to see the last few episodes a bajillion years from now.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Just finished watching online on the AMC website. I hate Nationwide and will never buy insurance through them again because their annoying commercials in the online vids were making me homicidal. AMC really has to mix up their advertisers.

I thought the season got off to a rocky start, but finished strong. I actually didn't want a happy ending to the show, and I thought they were going down a road that infighting, and Cutler's, Cooper's and even Sterling's general uselessness were going to sink the agency. Lou Allen was a freaking idiot, and creative was revolting against him. I would have much preferred that they got rid of Ginsberg by having him say something so obnoxious to Allen that there was no way to get past it and he would have to be fired. Still, the ending was all right.

In season 6, I thought Ted Shaugh was very much becoming the conscience of the agency, and then they basically wrote him off the show for the whole season. Strange. Beyond just Peggy's crush, he was the one guy on the show that you could really root for.

In real life, someone like Cooper, who doesn't do anything but pull out a ton of cash and act judgmental would eventually be hated by everyone in the agency that mattered. I had no problem with the show killing him off.

I like the Cutler character. He is like Roger would be if Roger cared. He made a very credible adversary to Roger and Don.

I thought Megan broke up with John in 7.3, but then he comes back out to LA in 7.4. I was very confused by that, and the subsequent 3 some. As cool as a scene like that was to watch, even in PG-13, that kind of activity was much more Roger than Don. I fully expected Don to be really offended by it, particularly since it was pretty obvious that this wasn't the first time that Megan was with her buddy.

Betty is becoming a waste of screen time. She is a shallow, nasty little B whose kids will eventually hate her. I fully expect Henry to leave her, because it already stretches credibility that someone like him would put up with her nonsense as long as he has. I don't get the point of any of her storylines any more, other than to fight with Sally.

Campbell is such a dork that I don't think he could ever get a girl like he had this past season, although she got fed up with him and appears to have dumped him.

I don't get why Joan hates Don so much. Sure, Don is a massive jerk, but so is everyone else in the office so why focus on Don?

Reaction Score
Just finished watching online on the AMC website. I hate Nationwide and will never buy insurance through them again because their annoying commercials in the online vids were making me homicidal. AMC really has to mix up their advertisers.

I thought the season got off to a rocky start, but finished strong. I actually didn't want a happy ending to the show, and I thought they were going down a road that infighting, and Cutler's, Cooper's and even Sterling's general uselessness were going to sink the agency. Lou Allen was a freaking idiot, and creative was revolting against him. I would have much preferred that they got rid of Ginsberg by having him say something so obnoxious to Allen that there was no way to get past it and he would have to be fired. Still, the ending was all right.
LOU AVERY ;) A GREAT BUFFOON
In season 6, I thought Ted Shaugh was very much becoming the conscience of the agency, and then they basically wrote him off the show for the whole season. Strange. Beyond just Peggy's crush, he was the one guy on the show that you could really root for.
TEDDY WAS ESSENTIALLY RELEGATED TO A PUNCHLINE ALL SEASON, PREVIOUSLY HE WAS HEADED EXACTLY WHERE YOU SAID SO I THINK BY PUTTING HIM OUT TO PASTURE THEY SAID THE SHOW IS STILL ABOUT ITS CENTRAL CHARACTERS AND HE WAS BECOMING TOO STRONG AS THAT MORAL CENTER. THAT WAS KEN COSGROVE'S JOB TO A LESSER DEGREE (KEN SIMPLY ALWAYS CHOSE FAMILY OVER WORK).
In real life, someone like Cooper, who doesn't do anything but pull out a ton of cash and act judgmental would eventually be hated by everyone in the agency that mattered. I had no problem with the show killing him off.
AGREED BUT BETTER CHARACTER THIS WAY, THEY DID GIVE HIM THIS TREATMENT EARLY IN THE NEW AGENCY WHEN HE HAD NO OFFICE BUT THE CHARACTER WAS BETTER AS THE ALMOST GOD-LIKE WISDOM GIVER
I like the Cutler character. He is like Roger would be if Roger cared. He made a very credible adversary to Roger and Don.
AGREED, LOVE TO HATE HIM. BE INTERESTING IF HE STAYS ON AS ROGER WAS TRYING TO GET HIM OUT. I COULD SEE HIM JUMPING TO A LEADERSHIP ROLE AT MCCANN AND REMAINING A THORN IN ROGER'S SIDE.
I thought Megan broke up with John in 7.3, but then he comes back out to LA in 7.4. I was very confused by that, and the subsequent 3 some. As cool as a scene like that was to watch, even in PG-13, that kind of activity was much more Roger than Don. I fully expected Don to be really offended by it, particularly since it was pretty obvious that this wasn't the first time that Megan was with her buddy.
THEY DIDN'T SAY TOO MUCH IN THAT 'BREAKUP' NOR ACTUALLY IN THIS LAST ONE, BUT AFTER MEGAN SENT HIM HOME SHE DID TAKE THE PHONE CALL AND DON SPOKE LOVINGLY TOWARDS HER SO CLEARLY THERE WAS SOME EFFORT UNDERFOOT TO SAVE THE RELATIONSHIP.
Betty is becoming a waste of screen time. She is a shallow, nasty little B whose kids will eventually hate her. I fully expect Henry to leave her, because it already stretches credibility that someone like him would put up with her nonsense as long as he has. I don't get the point of any of her storylines any more, other than to fight with Sally.
I DISAGREE, THOUGHT FAT BETTY WAS THIS WAY, BUT THIS SEASON HER EVOLUTION ON SEEING HER FRIENDS WORKING AND HAVING AN OPINION OUTSIDE OF HER HUSBAND'S WAS INTERESTING. SHE IS CAPABLE OF BEING SMART BUT TOO EMOTIONALLY IMMATURE AND SET IN HER 50'S DECORUM TO EXECUTE. PLAYING BETTY'S USELESSNESS VS SALLY'S EMERGING SENSE OF SELF IS RICH CHARACTER JUXTAPOSITION.
Campbell is such a dork that I don't think he could ever get a girl like he had this past season, although she got fed up with him and appears to have dumped him.
YEP, PETE IS A LOVABLE CREEP NOW THAT HE'S FIRMLY IN DON DRAPER CAMP
I don't get why Joan hates Don so much. Sure, Don is a massive jerk, but so is everyone else in the office so why focus on Don?
Joan was still pissed over Don single-handedly deciding to dump the Jaguar account that Joan literally prostituted herself for AND costing Joan 1.5M in the going public plan that losing Jaguar squashed. So every day when she deals with her annoying mother and trying situation it is pretty easy to blame Don for her not having a private Mary Poppins to solve that problem.

The changes in Don were really evident in those last two episodes. He was willing to take one for the team on a number of occasions and I think really talked Teddy into doing just writing/creative - no business because he believed this was better. Don's over-involvement on the account business side all started with Connie Hilton in a season where Bert was telling him he was about to be a major influencer in the world. Don clearly sees his limitations and preferences now professionally. I've no idea what he does with that knowledge personally and/or how being a part of a corporation will change things. I did love Roger's journey this season and stepping into the leadership vacuum when Bert passed was perfect. The half-season was almost as much about Roger as anyone else.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
The ads for the rest of Season 7 make me sad. They all looked so sharp in the beginning of the 60's, and now they look like jackasses. The 70's were an absolute fashion disaster.

Reaction Score
The ads for the rest of Season 7 make me sad. They all looked so sharp in the beginning of the 60's, and now they look like jackasses. The 70's were an absolute fashion disaster.
Yes & no for me, I find the 70's styles comical & its a really interesting evolution for me to watch as I became cognizant of the world in the 70's so to watch these characters evolve into what is my defacto world starting point should be fascinating. I hope like the show did for the 60's it provides insight into why/how we (US culture) got there & how it felt. For me the early 60's episodes were almost like learning the secrets of a foreign country, now they are coming to my America.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I don't give a crap about clothes, but I wanted to dress like Roger and Don after Season 1 and 2. But I would walk around in a garbage bag before I would wear the nonsense that people wore in the 70's.

Basically, other than great music and a few good movies, the 70's were a cultural disaster.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I don't give a crap about clothes, but I wanted to dress like Roger and Don after Season 1 and 2. But I would walk around in a garbage bag before I would wear the nonsense that people wore in the 70's.

Basically, other than great music and a few good movies, the 70's were a cultural disaster.

Reaction Score

Those are two funny contradictory statements.
What are your objections to the 70's other than clothes? What defines 70's culture other than clothes & music?

Arguably the 80's was worse, just as much bad clothes & bad music but it was less about trying new things and pushing limits and more about everyone embracing stupid crap like leg warmers and ballads. 70's miscues (disco) weren't as widespread & the stupid clothes did push forward more leeway in how people dressed.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom