Lynx vs Sparks... Predictions! | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Lynx vs Sparks... Predictions!

Status
Not open for further replies.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Im sure the Sparks would have preferred to win in LA.... but to win on the road.. and quiet thousands of Cat fans... not once.. .. but twice in a series has to be something extra special.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Refs tried to give Sparks the game all through the game. Three fouls on Brunson in the 1st quarter wasn't enough. The fourth quarter was a complete give away of foul calls in favor of the Sparks. Still, no spark to CP or the rest of her team. This backcourt mistake didn't make any difference. But maybe the ref's will finally figure out how to make it up to CP and the Sparks in game 5. Then they can finally feel that phony pride in themselves.

You called it buddy.

I guess this is what phony pride looks like :rolleyes:

CvQpnvRUAAAw_uc.jpg

Reaction Score
1) glad to see Beard and Gray win a Title :)

2) The Sparks should let the former GM of the Sun at least rub the trophy for a few seconds ..... thanks for that trade Sienko :cool:
After Uconn wins another NC when Azura becomes eligible JPM can carry that trophy back to Conn. for her and Geno! That will be the closest Duke will get to a NC trophy in WCBB!

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Congrats on the win. I was very happy to see Parker get her championship. How this woman wasn't chose for the Olympics or even on the WNBA first or second team is beyond me. She can now give everyone the finger while she holds the trophy in the other hand.

Yes, the one Nneka shot was after the shot clock, but all Minnesota had to do was secure that last rebound but somebody forgot to put a body on Nneka, who ran right in, got the rebound, got her shot blocked but persisted and put up another shot...the dagger.

1. Because selecting the Olympic team isn't the same as selecting an all-star team.
2. Because sometimes things like consistent effort and being an emotionally reliable teammate are more important than individual talent.
3. It's a shame she needed the advantage of one month's midseason rest to finally get her WNBA title.

:)

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
I was also glad to see Beard win a championship. She has been around for a long time and has put in her dues.

Nneka Ogwumike, Alana Beard and Essence Carson were, in my opinion, the emotional triumvirate of this team. Their steadiness and blue-collar mentality carried the, shall we say, less constant members of the team.

Reaction Score
Not in my mind, Rebecca's or the other TV announcers, or anyone else who watched the game. Nneka gets 25-second shot clock at the end of the game????? This isn't doing anything for the WNBA's credibility - the team that scored more points lost.
On that series the Sparks were working with a short shot clock because it didn't reset after Beards rebound. That is why the officials did not review it - plain and simple.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Not in my mind, Rebecca's or the other TV announcers, or anyone else who watched the game. Nneka gets 25-second shot clock at the end of the game????? This isn't doing anything for the WNBA's credibility - the team that scored more points lost.

I watched the game too. I saw how the game ended. It was a horrible way to lose a game, and a championship. Who do you blame, the Sparks or the refs? I can guarantee that the entire Sparks organization will not care for a moment about what other fans or outside observers think.

This was not the Lynx's year. Every other year , remember? I understand your frustration, but it's not going to dull the euphoria, and the party atomosphere in Sparks Nation tonight.

In the Sparks' player's mind they won it. That's what they'll take into the off season with them. Yes, it was a tainted win, but a win nonetheless. One they won't throw back. A win they'll celebrate in the days and weeks to come.

If that last second half court shot had gone in, the Lynx would have won. If you didn't approve of the outcome, then do something about the quality of the refereeing.

The Sparks are not giving the win, the championship, or the trophy back. The team that scored the most points won. That's how it will be recorded in the record book. The league will recognize the Sparks as league champions.

Trust me, they couldn't care less what opposing fans think. Only what their fans and employers think, and all of them are happy tonight.

Last edited:

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
I watched the game too. I saw how the game ended. It was a horrible way to lose a game, and a championship. Who do you blame, the Sparks or the refs? I can guarantee that the entire Sparks organization will not care for a moment about what other fans or outside observers think.

This was not the Lynx's year. Every other year , remember? I understand your frustration, but it's not going to dull the euphoria, and the party atomosphere in Sparks Nation tonight.

In the Sparks' player's mind they won it. That's what they'll take into the off season with them. Yes, it was a tainted win, but a win nonetheless. One they won't throw back. A win they'll celebrate in the days and weeks to come.

If that last second half court shot had gone in, the Lynx would have won. If you didn't approve of the outcome, then do something about the quality of the refereeing.

The Sparks are not giving the win, the championship, or the trophy back. The team that scored the most points won. That's how it will be recorded in the record book. The league will recognize the Sparks as league champions.

Trust me, they couldn't care less what opposing fans think. Only what their fans and employers think, and all of them are happy tonight.

It's no more a tainted win than the Lynx's win in game 4. Obviously that was a huge play that wasn't noticed, but if they stopped play to review the shot and get the correct call, Lynx are up by 2 with the ball and 1:11 or so to go, it's not a guaranteed win for Minnesota. As others on this board after game 4, there were horrible calls made all night both ways. Los Angeles was the better rebounding team and more aggressive team tonight and only drew 9 fouls on the Lynx, while getting called for 16 of their own. Nneka was hacked in the post and didn't draw a foul, but gets called for what appeared to be a clean block a few plays later. Several of the Toliver/Carson calls seemed to be phantom fouls, they could have called a pushoff on Moore with her last bucket, etc. There were more bad calls that favored the Sparks, too. It's part of the game.

The Sparks should not feel like this is a tainted win, especially after game 4 where a missed call with under 20 seconds left led to them being down by 4 instead of with the ball down by 2. It is a shame that the refs flat out suck and blow major calls late, but the Sparks played a heck of a game tonight and executed down the stretch. They deserve to celebrate tonight.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
It's no more a tainted win than the Lynx's win in game 4. Obviously that was a huge play that wasn't noticed, but if they stopped play to review the shot and get the correct call, Lynx are up by 2 with the ball and 1:11 or so to go, it's not a guaranteed win for Minnesota. As others on this board after game 4, there were horrible calls made all night both ways. Los Angeles was the better rebounding team and more aggressive team tonight and only drew 9 fouls on the Lynx, while getting called for 16 of their own. Nneka was hacked in the post and didn't draw a foul, but gets called for what appeared to be a clean block a few plays later. Several of the Toliver/Carson calls seemed to be phantom fouls, they could have called a pushoff on Moore with her last bucket, etc. There were more bad calls that favored the Sparks, too. It's part of the game.

The Sparks should not feel like this is a tainted win, especially after game 4 where a missed call with under 20 seconds left led to them being down by 4 instead of with the ball down by 2. It is a shame that the refs flat out suck and blow major calls late, but the Sparks played a heck of a game tonight and executed down the stretch. They deserve to celebrate tonight.
upload_2016-10-21_2-15-31.jpeg

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
After Uconn wins another NC when Azura becomes eligible JPM can carry that trophy back to Conn. for her and Geno! That will be the closest Duke will get to a NC trophy in WCBB!

Last night I went to Arby's and got one of those new Pork Belly Sandwiches, and an order of the loaded fries. Absolutely delicious. What does this have to do with the Lynx vs Sparks? Absolutely nothing... just like Azura Stevens and Duke has nothing to do with Lynx vs Sparks. :rolleyes:

But since you want to bring WCBB into this thread....... Ive been a Duke sports fan since the 2nd grade (1980).......... so obviously I've rooted for Duke before McCallie... and I'll be rooting for Duke after she leaves (hopefully sooner than later). . Win or lose I'll be down in Cameron this year pulling for my team..... and I will continue to do so in the future. Its pretty easy to be a fan of UCONN WCBB ..... will you still be a fan and still attend games after Geno retires? When you guys are still stuck in the AAC playing the likes of Middle Tennessee and Coastal Carolina will you still be in attendance ? :cool: Sure Duke winning a WCBB title would have been nice..... but I've seen teams I root for win multiple Super Bowls, World Series, MCBB titles, and 1 Stanley Cup.... so the lack of a WCBB title doesnt bother me that much. If WCBB was the only sport I cared about.. then yes it would bother me greatly...... but as ive stated... I follow multiple sports. Trust me... any disappointment that Duke WCBB will provide me this upcoming season will be counterbalanced by the reign of terror that the Duke MBB will unleash starting next month. :D

If you guys get this petty after a loss.... i'd better hide out somewhere else after a UCONN wcbb team loss this coming season.... if they lose. :oops:

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I'm happy for Alana Beard for finally winning one, but still do not understand why the shot clock violation was unreviewable. Haven't looked, but I would bet there are several explanations in the thread above. Catch up with it later today.

Reaction Score
I'm happy for Alana Beard for finally winning one, but still do not understand why the shot clock violation was unreviewable. Haven't looked, but I would bet there are several explanations in the thread above. Catch up with it later today.

A shot clock violation is reviewable. Why they chose not to review it is the answer!

Jmpenn

LVFan; Equitable Visitor
Reaction Score
In the last two minutes of the game the rule says that they have to stop play and review right away and that wasn't done. MN inbounded and came down and scored and then I believe LA had the ball. I can't remember if they scored. Then when MN got the ball back I believe there was a timeout. At that point it was too late. Per the rule the review should have been done right away. The refs messed up by not stopping play. Maybe they forgot they were in the last 2 minutes and that the rule was different for the end of the game.

Carnac

Reaction Score

I don't think they do, or will. It didn't appear to bother them last night during their post game celebration. I didn't see any players walking around the floor sullen with slumped shoulders and a blank stare on their face.
As you have so eloquently stated, there were several other lays that played a part in last night's outcome. The game/series did not hinge on a single play.

The championship was the best of 5 games, not a single game. There were plays (calls and non-calls) throughout the game last night that had just as much bearing on the outcome. However, the one that everyone will remember is the Sparks' shot that was scored after the shot clock expired. Who do you blame? The Sparks, or the refs? The Sparks are not the first team to benefit from horrible calls. I doubt they'll be the last. :p

Carnac

Reaction Score

I said/suggested it was tainted only because we are having this discussion, and because a lot of people (fans/announcers/analysts) are talking about it. That play is the only thing mentioned here. The Lynx head coach Cheryl Reeve went on a 2 minute rant after the game in her post-game presser about the play. It was a controversial play that she (and many others) felt severely impacted the outcome of the game and the series. She did not mention, or highlight any other play in the game or series. only that one. Reeve and the rest of the Lynx players will go to their graves believing they wuz robbed. :mad:

Carnac

Reaction Score
She can now give everyone the finger while she holds the trophy in the other hand.

In keeping with your "stay classy" motto, I hope the "finger" you refer to is the index finger, and not the middle one. :eek: Although at times during the next few months, she'll no doubt have a over whelming urge to raise the latter. OMG ET, I just got a visual, and she wasn't using the index. :cool:

Reaction Score
If Maya Moore puts a body on Ogwumike, the Lynx repeat as champions. As in Game 1, Maya suffered a late game defensive lapse. Now, it is possible that Ogwumike was not Maya's assigned responsibility. That however, does not relieve Maya of the responsibility.

Congratulations Los Angeles!

Carnac

Reaction Score
Perhaps this is a better pic of that phony pride... team style . ouch... right on the Cat logo too.... guess some of yall will call that taunting :oops:

CvQggrPUsAA2mq7.jpg

A picture is worth a thousand words. Look at the lady between Magic and Nnecka. Does she look stressed? Look at the grin on Candace's face. Does she look like like they didn't deserve to win? I'm a BIG Sparks fan, so you can imagine how I'm doing right now. You can see me, but I'm somewhere in this picture.........grinning. :p

Reaction Score
Last night I went to Arby's and got one of those new Pork Belly Sandwiches, and an order of the loaded fries. Absolutely delicious. What does this have to do with the Lynx vs Sparks? Absolutely nothing... just like Azura Stevens and Duke has nothing to do with Lynx vs Sparks. :rolleyes:

But since you want to bring WCBB into this thread.. Ive been a Duke sports fan since the 2nd grade (1980)..... so obviously I've rooted for Duke before McCallie... and I'll be rooting for Duke after she leaves (hopefully sooner than later). . Win or lose I'll be down in Cameron this year pulling for my team..... and I will continue to do so in the future. Its pretty easy to be a fan of UCONN WCBB ..... will you still be a fan and still attend games after Geno retires? When you guys are still stuck in the AAC playing the likes of Middle Tennessee and Coastal Carolina will you still be in attendance ? :cool: Sure Duke winning a WCBB title would have been nice..... but I've seen teams I root for win multiple Super Bowls, World Series, MCBB titles, and 1 Stanley Cup.... so the lack of a WCBB title doesnt bother me that much. If WCBB was the only sport I cared about.. then yes it would bother me greatly. but as ive stated... I follow multiple sports. Trust me... any disappointment that Duke WCBB will provide me this upcoming season will be counterbalanced by the reign of terror that the Duke MBB will unleash starting next month. :D

If you guys get this petty after a loss.... i'd better hide out somewhere else after a UCONN wcbb team loss this coming season.... if they lose. :oops:

But since you want to bring WCBB into this thread.. Ive been a Duke sports fan since the 2nd grade (1980)..... so obviously I've rooted for Duke before McCallie... and I'll be rooting for Duke after she leaves (hopefully sooner than later). . Win or lose I'll be down in Cameron this year pulling for my team..... and I will continue to do so in the future. Its pretty easy to be a fan of UCONN WCBB ..... will you still be a fan and still attend games after Geno retires? When you guys are still stuck in the AAC playing the likes of Middle Tennessee and Coastal Carolina will you still be in attendance ? :cool: Sure Duke winning a WCBB title would have been nice..... but I've seen teams I root for win multiple Super Bowls, World Series, MCBB titles, and 1 Stanley Cup.... so the lack of a WCBB title doesnt bother me that much. If WCBB was the only sport I cared about.. then yes it would bother me greatly. but as ive stated... I follow multiple sports. Trust me... any disappointment that Duke WCBB will provide me this upcoming season will be counterbalanced by the reign of terror that the Duke MBB will unleash starting next month. :D

If you noticed I liked your post and I am happy for Alana and Chelsea! I am a sports fan also of multiple sports. It was mainly in response to the part about Sienko who hurt the Sun getting rid of Thibeault. Like JPM is hurting Duke. Good natured trash talk that is all. By the way Conn MBB is 2-0 against Duke MBB in the FF. Who else can say that!

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
If you noticed I liked your post and I am happy for Alana and Chelsea! I am a sports fan also of multiple sports. It was mainly in response to the part about Sienko who hurt the Sun getting rid of Thibeault. Like JPM is hurting Duke. Good natured trash talk that is all.

Nothing wrong with good natured trash talk. ;) Sadly about the only trash talk i can do with regards to WCBB is to UNC fans :(

While I love Beard.... and she is Duke's greatest WCBB player...... Gray is my all time personal favorite Duke WCBB player. Funny thing about the trade.... at the time it was made... I was just happy for Gray because of the opportunity for her to play/live closer to her home. I had no idea that she would become such a vital cog down the stretch. After what she went through in college (2 season ending injuries) .... its wonderful to see her get to experience this kind of success. Its gonna be interesting to see what they do with her next season. Do they insert her as a starter.. and move Toliver to the 2G and move Beard to SF ? Or just keep on using her as a spark off the bench. Plus next year... they get Riquna Williams back.... that will cut into somebody's playing time. In retrospect.. the trade benefited both teams... as I think Jones will be a good player for the Sun.

. By the way Conn MBB is 2-0 against Duke MBB in the FF. Who else can say that!

Dont remind me about that :(

OT: If you have a Arby's in your city.... you really should try that Pork Belly Sandwich.... its absolutely amazing for a fast food item... and. its on the menu for just a limited time. I probably should have gotten two..... Head bang

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
If Maya Moore puts a body on Ogwumike, the Lynx repeat as champions. As in Game 1, Maya suffered a late game defensive lapse. Now, it is possible that Ogwumike was not Maya's assigned responsibility. That however, does not relieve Maya of the responsibility.

Congratulations Los Angeles!
Agreed. Nneka crashes the boards hard. Boxing out is very important when she is on the floor.

In terms of Game 1, Maya misjudged slightly. In the slow-mo replay, she missed deflecting AB's shot by only 1-2". It's a game of inches.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Cheryl was irate in the press conference. She gave credit to L.A., but called out the officiating. In fairness, she mentioned the 8-second call in the other game. Maybe this will help to improve the quality of officiating, which is poor in WCBB and maybe worse in the WNBA.

L.A. beat Minnesota twice on the road, which is a huge accomplishment. Minnesota couldn't close out games 1 and 5.

Her coach and teammates said that Candace is misunderstood. From the outside looking in, I think she is a good player pretty much all the time and a great player when she wants to be. (That's also what Geno said in London.) The inconsistent effort and lax defense were the compelling reasons that many BYers noted for her non selection for Rio. When she shores those up and plays smart, she's as good as anyone. Candace has become a very good passer, especially in the past 2 seasons.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom