LSU AD: We need to revitalize women's basketball | The Boneyard

LSU AD: We need to revitalize women's basketball

Status
Not open for further replies.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
No Final Four since 2008 and attendance is declining. I'm sure Caldwell's salary factors in to his thinking.

“I'm not saying the product is bad, don't get me wrong,” says Alleva. “But it's not as good as it's been, in some past years, when we were playing in the Final Four.”

Actually Joe, the product is bad.

So what's the solution to fixing the problem?

“You've got to do a better job marketing. And you've got to improve the product on the court. At the end of the day, I've learned here at LSU, that if you put a good product on the court or on the field, our fans will come.”

Alleva's track record with women's basketball programs is not exactly stellar. He was the Duke AD when GG left and JPM was hired.

http://www.wafb.com/story/28909909/alleva-lsu-needs-to-revitalize-womens-basketball

Reaction Score
Would love to see LSU good again..... An SEC of Tenn, LSU, USC, A&M, KY battling for supremacy would be so good.

ACC has UNC, Duke, Fla St, MD, ND, Louisville.... have a bit more depth than SEC now.... let's have a free for all in both conferences!

Reaction Score
Now if we could just get another dozen or so committed.

Reaction Score
They could start by hiring Shea Ralph. If LA Tech can hire Pat Summitt's son with no coaching experience then Shea should be good enough to coach LSU.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Hate to see Shea go but I think she'd be a good coach. I guess a successful HC gig elsewhere could set her up as Geno's successor.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Hate to see Shea go but I think she'd be a good coach. I guess a successful HC gig elsewhere could set her up as Geno's successor.

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
Hah! Good one Nan
JS_nan_comparison.jpg

JS

Reaction Score
Hey - one moderator looks the same as the next! It is so hard to tell them apart!
That's only because Biff used photoshop to improve my looks.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score

I thought she was already set up as Geno's successor.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
I have mixed feelings on Alleva..... he hired Coach JPM :oops: Yet he also hired Coach Cut :)

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
I have mixed feelings on Alleva..... he hired Coach JPM :oops: Yet he also hired Coach Cut :)

He was forced to hire Cut. He wanted Karl Dorrell. But then when Cut succeeded, he took the credit.

Joe Alleva cares about and is as knowledgeable about womens basketball as much as JPM cares about playing a close game with UConn. It's a nice thought, but it is not going to happen...ever.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
He was forced to hire Cut. He wanted Karl Dorrell. But then when Cut succeeded, he took the credit.

Joe Alleva cares about and is as knowledgeable about womens basketball as much as JPM cares about playing a close game with UConn. It's a nice thought, but it is not going to happen...ever.
I suspect you don't really have to care about a sport to care that it is successful enough not to impact your job.

It is a good think that "Saint Greg" Byrne here at Arizona has been so remarkable, because some are questioning his commitment to Women's Basketball. For those of us who really care about the sport, it is remarkable that our coach has been retained after each of the last 2 seasons. And remarkable enough for him to address it in his weekly newsletter, claiming that "she deserves to finish out her contract". Contract is up after next season - we'll see.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
LSU had Sue Gunter, Pokey Chatman, and Van Chancellor, all of whom were probably better than Caldwell. But the 5 consecutive years that they made the Final Four, they had Seimone Augustus and Sylvia Fowles. Seimone was local talent, and Sylvia came from Miami, I think. Those were 2 world-class players. They need to keep the LA talent and bring in a top 10 or so player from out of state. The Texas pool is huge, and it's nearby.

Reaction Score
They could start by hiring Shea Ralph. If LA Tech can hire Pat Summitt's son with no coaching experience then Shea should be good enough to coach LSU.
Why would you want to lose SHEA? She's a great coach and an outstanding recruiter. She's a big asset to our program and she just may be Geno's replacement down the road, IF she stays in Storrs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom