Louisville's Walz Blasts His Team's Recent Play | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Louisville's Walz Blasts His Team's Recent Play

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Jeff's rant didn't bother me, and I don't see much difference in his rant and Geno's. If we think Jeff brings it on himself with the type of players he recruits, then wouldn't the same apply to Geno? Geno sorta let himself off the hook there with, "It's the world we live in today."

cabbie191

Jonathan Husky on a date with Holi
Reaction Score
Think this was a later video of Coach Watlz talking about the same topic...

Louisville coach rants about participation trophies

I have no problem with what Jeff says in this particular video, mainly because I agree with much of it, and I like how he said it. I don't think this even comes close to throwing his team under the bus. He spoke to his perception of a larger social issue, and even if you don't agree with his conclusions, I think he chose his words well.

I have a vivid memory of my reaction to my child's nursery program having a "graduation" ceremony twenty years ago. It was not positive. :(

wallman

UCLA Bruin
Reaction Score
OK, if you have really good information on recruiting techniques employed and not just anecdotal information I will accept your point - but there is a lot of innuendo tossed around about coaches recruiting that I distrust. I certainly have no inside information about any coach's recruiting and rely on their own statements as well as some observation of outcomes. Fans of various teams throw out all sorts of things about recruits and transfers, most of which is sour grapes after they lose a coveted player. Occasionally coaches join in!

I see your point and could have been viewed as such. First his obvious tactics i.e. the billboards the offers to best friends and then rescinding are already out there. Obviously I do have a little on the other end that I know but I can only give my opinion on that as I would never give up a source, so I will leave it as my opinion on top of what has been previously shared.

As to the belief that some are overly pampered, that is not the point IMO, it is the fact that it is coming from someone who has enabled those perceptions, you cannot have it both ways.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Yes and no. I think pretty much everyone who has played serious competitive sports has not been aligned on the side of 'keep everyone happy and give them all a trophy', nor are the people running companies, or managing a staff, or teaching. At some point in the development of children, they need to learn the distinction between participation and excellence, between effort and success. They need to understand there is such a thing as failure, and how to respond to it. And that every day doesn't end with a present. The extension of the everyone gets a trophy theory is that everyone gets an A in math, and everyone gets a raise and promotion each year - and we all know that isn't happening. In education we have experimented with Pass/Fail grading and it hasn't worked really well, and various places and countries have experimented with everyone gets a job and that hasn't worked very well either. We are like rats in a maze, we need the piece of cheese at the end to motivate us to learn and succeed.

We can argue about the age at which distinctions get made and we seem as a society to be pushing the point further up in age. And part of it may have to do with a societal issue that is putting more of the 'nurturing' of children onto extra-familial groups because we recognize that a lot of the children are not getting the nurturing they need within the familial group. (Some will argue that it is an increasing failure of the 'family', but I think it was always an issue, just never recognized.) Family isn't providing the 'its OK, here's what we do now' support so schools and athletics and _____ are being tasked with that job.

And I don't have a problem with Jeff's rant, and I don't have a problem with his recruits nor does he really. He is frustrated just like Geno was a few days ago, and countless other coaches have been in the past. And they all recognize that the recruits they are getting today have a different mental make-up than they did ten and twenty years ago. They may attribute it to slightly different things - Jeff to participation trophies, Geno to AAU expansion, ____ to HS coaching, _____ to parents, _____ to too many individual trainers - but they are all getting at something fundamentally different in preparation, expectations, and development of college age athletes. To ignore the fairly universally expressed opinions because one person does it with humor and another with anger or frustration is probably not a good idea. And it isn't just athletes and their coaches, but listen to job recruiters, and college professors, and a host of others who deal with people entering a new phase of their lives - almost all complain about similar changes. And the statisticians get involved as well - math scores, writing scores, literacy rates tell similar kinds of stories at a national level of statistics.

We all avidly follow every 'scandals' with athletic programs where coaches are accused of improprieties in the way they treat their athletes, and every off-season there seem to be more long term successful coaches being caught up in them - some are obviously serious, but many of them come down to some team members being unhappy and some being fiercely supportive with most of the alum of the program coming down on the coach's side. And my feeling is that this is another symptom of the above issue - good athletes can get to college without ever having failed, and they don't know how to deal with being told by a college coach that they are failing, so they blame the coach and they convince a few of their teammates that is why they aren't starring as well. (I am definitely not talking about a Tyler Summitt or Mike Rice at Rutgers situation, but more the Bill Gibbons kind of thing at Holly Cross.)

FYI We can argue about the quality of coaches like JPM or Mitchell at KY and the way them seem to drive off talent or their public persona, but their players leave because of basic coaching issues and not it appears for some impropriety and I think their situations are different.
Thanks for the exposition, and for saving everyone from my rant.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
If we take a step back to the initial concern where his team battled back to finally take a two point lead, he was highly irritated about the hustle back to play on defense, which is what got Louisville back into the game to begin with. He saw his team with an opportunity to beat a really good top team however they came up short. I, too think he just trying to make a point to his team as we all see the sound bites.
The curious thing I find on the "rant" is the skills, talents and abilities of this generation is better and deeper than ever before. The truly great coaches (or managers in the work world) know how to harness this and get them to become a team. Jeff is trying to get to that level and maybe copying a Geno tactic will help him.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
we all got trophies... some where just bigger than others. I'll reward anyone for effort... you deserve a paycheck for showing up but the winners/hard workers will get bigger trophies/paychecks!

Reaction Score
It's bull crap whine from the coach. "Back in my day" - he lives in a new day. "In the real world you'd get fired?" SUCH bull. We all can point to people at our workplace who "should be fired." Heck, maybe WE'RE one of those people.

Coaches have gotten what they want - more money, more things, nice arena. They fawn over players because THEY are afraid of losing their job. They make compromises all the time, let folks get away with stuff because they don't have the spin to go "BOO!"

Fingerpoint into the mirror, Jeff.

And there are times I feel similarly about Geno - and times when his motivation makes sense.

Be the adult you want your young people to be, dude.

BINGO!

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I that his best point was this - he recruited all these players. So if he thinks his kids are "losers" and don't have the will to win and don't want to work hard, he has no one to blame but himself.
Well if you read the article, he did.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Coach Walz comments on the comments about his comments after victory over Kentucky

Louisville-Kentucky Women's Basketball Postgame Quotes
Seems like his players agreed with him - a pretty decent response.
Love the bit about the three year old running around with the players after wins, but understanding that if the team loses that pleasure is not going to happen - I am sure there is someone out there that is fearful of how these disappointments to a three year old will scar the child for life.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
@Dillon77 could help notice the lack of love from Jeff for our Jersey girl. Maybe Jeff will let her come home-Rutgers?

(On Sam Fuehring not dressing?)
“Coach's decision.”
(Coach's decision?)
“Yep, coach's decision.”

Louisville-Kentucky Women's Basketball Postgame Quotes

Whoa. Sorry to be remiss in the response...been involved in one those "suck you in and don't let you go" projects.
Sam Fuehring's time on floor has been diminishing since she had a perfect shooting game (6-6) against Lafayette. Little time against SCarolina. Two minutes against Maryland. Coach's Did not dress against KY,. Would be interested in what precipitated this because the Sam Fuehring I read about in high school was known as a straight shooter and hard worker. (BTW, what would it have taken for the reporter to follow up with
"What was behind the coach's decision?") We'll see if she suits up against Western Kentucky this weekend and what becomes of her PT.

Hope this works out for all concerned. But, if the reduction in PT continues at the current rate, some landing-spot speculation (Dillon's druthers, if you will):

- First, it's really too bad she's in the ACC and the transfer rules are so prohibitive because I think she'd be a natural at the elbow in South Bend. ;) But drop the ACC.
Is she still open to being away from home (Jersey)? If so...
- DePaul. Bruno's system is great for heady/hustling players and SF would fill the bill;
- Michigan. I could see her gravitating to Kim Barnes Arico, another Easterner gone (mid)west.

If she came back to/near the Garden State.
- Not sure about the fit at Rutgers and the "defense to offense" press and push that Coach V. employ(-ed/s?)
If she went eastern Big1G, I'd see her more at Penn State.
- If she went anywhere in NJ, it could be Seton Hall. Sam F. did attend a parochial HS

Last edited:

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
If she came back to/near the Garden State.
- Not sure about the fit at Rutgers and the "defense to offense" press and push that Coach V. employ(-ed/s?)
If she went eastern Big1G, I'd see her more at Penn State.
- If she went anywhere in NJ, it could be Seton Hall. Sam F. did attend a parochial HS

Lots of choices around Philly - Temple, Villanova.

I suspect Jeff knew the wisdom of saying nothing. His response was basically 'No comment'. Lots of people start a sentence and then can't find the end of it! Young college players can run afoul of all sorts of things both sport related and school related. Hopefully it is just a wake-up call, like Lou's bench period.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Lots of choices around Philly - Temple, Villanova.

I suspect Jeff knew the wisdom of saying nothing. His response was basically 'No comment'. Lots of people start a sentence and then can't find the end of it! Young college players can run afoul of all sorts of things both sport related and school related. Hopefully it is just a wake-up call, like Lou's bench period.

That's a good point. Sometimes the less said, the better (less paint around the corner!).

As I said, this will hopefully be some kind of lesson and both Sam and Coach Jeff move forward in a positive manner. As I said, from all indications, she's a good young adult.

But, yes, Villanova, Temple, Rutgers, Temple would all welcome her services if things don't work out on the Ohio River.

Reaction Score
That's a good point. Sometimes the less said, the better (less paint around the corner!).

As I said, this will hopefully be some kind of lesson and both Sam and Coach Jeff move forward in a positive manner. As I said, from all indications, she's a good young adult.

But, yes, Villanova, Temple, Rutgers, Temple would all welcome her services if things don't work out on the Ohio River.

I been watching Sam F since her first year at Immaculate Conception..........very hard working kid who I have to assume is less then thrilled with splitting time with the freshmen........were she to transfer and I doubt she will, I could see her coming back to this area to Rutgers or Seton Hall (who are on the upswing) or perhaps she would reconsider Dayton which is a school I know she was very interested in............

Reaction Score
Walz made the "Big Time" today. Part of his "rant" was featured on the Rush Limbaugh Show today.
Mega Dittos!

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
Walz made the "Big Time" today. Part of his "rant" was featured on the Rush Limbaugh Show today.
Mega Dittos!

If only Jeff had talked about the failures of folks who get divorces and abuse drugs....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom