Louisville could potentially lose accreditation | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Louisville could potentially lose accreditation

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
Rat trying to bail on a sinking ship...too late for that!
Jurich is an asshat. Go ahead and try to replicate that place on campus, good luck with the record profits the AD has been spouting for the last couple of years. Ask little Ricky if he wants to pull out of the Yum Center.

Reaction Score
Jurich takes advantage of everything he can and with that, UL climbs the ladder. UConn can learn a thing or two from him.

This arena thing was going to explode eventually and he seems prepared to deal with it. They'll stay at Yum and pay more to use it but they'll still get an incredible deal in the end. He is setting the tone already. He even takes jabs at the homicide rate in the area to diminish the arena's value. The guy gets in the mud when he has to and is prepared to deal with any backlash.

The most interesting thing in all of it is the power he has. Our AD wouldn't have much to do with this type of thing. It would be Herbst for sure. Jurich talks like he owns the place and it appears he does based on recent events.

Reaction Score
Jurich takes advantage of everything he can and with that, UL climbs the ladder. UConn can learn a thing or two from him.

This arena thing was going to explode eventually and he seems prepared to deal with it. They'll stay at Yum and pay more to use it but they'll still get an incredible deal in the end. He is setting the tone already. He even takes jabs at the homicide rate in the area to diminish the arena's value. The guy gets in the mud when he has to and is prepared to deal with any backlash.

The most interesting thing in all of it is the power he has. Our AD wouldn't have much to do with this type of thing. It would be Herbst for sure. Jurich talks like he owns the place and it appears he does based on recent events.
The written deal they have gives them first shot at purchasing the Yum Center for pennies on the dollar when the bonds are defaulted on.

Reaction Score
Rat trying to bail on a sinking ship...too late for that!
I'm not so sure. I don't think their ship is sinking at all! This type usually triumphs. He alone has propelled Louisville to the P5. Their athletic programs seem to always succeed and they get away with whatever they need to. If he was at UConn five years back, UConn would be in the ACC and not Louisville and we all would be praising him. They are top level in the ACC and nationally in many sports and will eventually surpass all of the other ACC schools as the team to beat. They have money, fan support, and academics don't matter. How can they lose?

Reaction Score
I'm not so sure. I don't think their ship is sinking at all! This type usually triumphs. He alone has propelled Louisville to the P5. Their athletic programs seem to always succeed and they get away with whatever they need to. If he was at UConn five years back, UConn would be in the ACC and not Louisville and we all would be praising him. They are top level in the ACC and nationally in many sports and will eventually surpass all of the other ACC schools as the team to beat. They have money, fan support, and academics don't matter. How can they lose?
Easy...the Yum Center deal he has UL situated with is a complete sham for the citizens of Louisville. That place was build with Redevelopment Agency Bonding and there is now way the bonds can be paid off before they default. When they get called and default..UL's deal allows them first right of refusal to purchase the Yum Center at pennies on the dollar. This has been called to light before, and his blustering has made things go away for the time being. Now there is now where else he can hide...hence his threat to build a place on campus. Jurich has painted himself into a corner and may have finally out smarted even himself.

Reaction Score
Easy...the Yum Center deal he has UL situated with is a complete sham for the citizens of Louisville. That place was build with Redevelopment Agency Bonding and there is now way the bonds can be paid off before they default. When they get called and default..UL's deal allows them first right of refusal to purchase the Yum Center at pennies on the dollar. This has been called to light before, and his blustering has made things go away for the time being. Now there is now where else he can hide...hence his threat to build a place on campus. Jurich has painted himself into a corner and may have finally out smarted even himself.
I do hope that you are correct.

Reaction Score

This would be a problem in CT. In Louisville, they'll let UL buy it for pennies on the dollar and keep forging ahead with a permanent advantage. Life isn't as complicated in the south. They'll value what UL brings to the city and how it fills up the Yum Center and overlook the public screw job that was perpetrated. Even if they negotiate something to appease critics, UL is still going to get a sweetheart deal.

Reaction Score
This would be a problem in CT. In Louisville, they'll let UL buy it for pennies on the dollar and keep forging ahead with a permanent advantage. Life isn't as complicated in the south. They'll value what UL brings to the city and how it fills up the Yum Center and overlook the public screw job that was perpetrated. Even if they negotiate something to appease critics, UL is still going to get a sweetheart deal.
It's not an issue until UK is denied those same types of bonds to renovate Freedom Hall (happened)...then all of a sudden things aren't so rosy for Mr Tom Jurich and UL.

Reaction Score
I know, I know...someone flashed the Billybud signal into the night sky....

Don't know much about Louisville and Kentucky politics...Do know about accreditation in general.

The big stick is often held in a threatening manner...(much like some of the federal non compliance issues and threats of defunding) .....and is seldom actually wielded against a major institution. The threat is usually nuclear enough for the state/institution to bring things in line. And the last thing that the regional accreditation agency wants to do is to actually remove accreditation so they work with the state/institution.

Since 200o..18 institutions have lost accreditation by the six regional accreditation agencies...and you have probably never heard of them...schools like Paul Quinn College, Si Tanka University, Sojourner-Douglas College, etc.

I would bet on a practical outcome with no loss of accreditation....that has been my experience in representing the state in several such instances of being found in non conformity with guidelines or federal law.

Now..if the Kentucky legislators are seriously brain dead, and in the "go to hell, you can't tell us what to do" mood...that bet is off.

But I have yet to see it go that far.
wish I had seen earlier... just finished my doctorate at Si Tanka University.
Oh well. Guess I'll just start over. Hearing Paul Quinn U has a strong grad program...

Reaction Score
wish I had seen earlier... just finished my doctorate at Si Tanka University.
Oh well. Guess I'll just start over. Hearing Paul Quinn U has a strong grad program...

Who knew... Close your university, lose accrediation. That'll team 'em.
Due to financial difficulties, Si Tanka University was closed in 2006. The accreditation was subsequently withdrawn effective August 6, 2006.[1] In 2010, a group of Si Tanka alumni reopened Si Tanka University as an unaccredited online university.[/qoute]

Reaction Score
While not exactly fair considering the torture us UConn fans have had to endure ("this is what happens when you ban us"), I thought this was a good read of how this may play out.

Why the NCAA may never punish Baylor for its rape scandal the way fans demand

Any legal minds out there know if the public will ever know what the Office for Civil Rights discovers at Baylor? In other words, even though they apparently have subpoena powers, will those findings be made public?

Bowlsby said:
As awful as this has gotten for Baylor, the NCAA doesn't look like the best avenue to address it. Civil lawsuits and a federal investigation by the Office for Civil Rights (OCR) could produce far more effective discovery than anything obtained by the NCAA, which lacks subpoena power.

"I think the inclination is to always try to identify somebody that has standing to do something, and probably OCR is well positioned right now to act on these things," Big 12 commissioner Bob Bowlsby said. "I know the OCR people have been on [Baylor's] campus. The conference and NCAA might have steps that are clearer after that process has run its course."

Making up interpretations on the fly didn't work for the NCAA when it took the moral high ground in the Penn State scandal with Jerry Sandusky. The NCAA found itself woefully out of place by wading into criminal activities, and Penn State's penalties got overturned after the NCAA was sued. The NCAA is very leery of going down that road again with Baylor without clear jurisdiction.

"I've spoken with a lot of people from the Big Ten and the NCAA about the Penn State process, and one of the things I've learned is when you don't have clear standing, you tend to have to be more responsive than aggressive on it," Bowlsby said. "I wish it was otherwise. Anybody that cares about young people is appalled by that sort of allegation [52 rapes over four years], and by what appears to be that sort of environment."

Reaction Score
Any legal minds out there know if the public will ever know what the Office for Civil Rights discovers at Baylor? In other words, even though they apparently have subpoena powers, will those findings be made public?
Just because you can and do subpoena information or testimony does not mean it will be made publicly available.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Deep down in a place I don't talk about at cocktail parties, I harbor a secret wish that Louisville will lose their accreditation and UConn will get the ACC invite.

There I said it. I don't believe it but I said it.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Unfortunately, I might be inclined to agree with this post. What happened at UNC makes Louisville's problem seem trivial, and UNC never even hit a bump in the road. Sad to say because I still hope we get in, but the ACC is the most corrupt conference, period.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom