Louisville Cardinals | The Boneyard

Louisville Cardinals

Status
Not open for further replies.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Offense

Teddy Bridgewater is going to be a star this year. I am going all in on this. He is going to have a monster season. You could see him improving week to week last year, and he closed with 24 points or higher in 5 of the last 6 games, including 3 games over 30 against WVU, UConn and USF. The kid that looked so confused against Marshall, UNC and FIU you would have thought he was taking a calculus exam, is gone forever.

I don't see a top line running back, which is a bit odd given how well Strong has been recruiting elsewhere. RB is one of the easiest positions to fill. Anderson is gone, but he was a shell of his former self after all the injuries. I think this will be a pass heavy offense, but none of the receivers really stand out. Chichester, who was hopelessly overrated, is gone. Parker has potential to be a good deep threat.

The offensive line gave up a ton of sacks, but some of that goes to Bridgewater. 4 of the 5 starting linemen return, and I expect a big improvement in both running and passing.

Defense

The defense carried this team last year, and the line was a rock. I believe these are all Strong recruits, and most of the defensive line returns. There were a lot of injuries last year, so lots of guys got playing time too, which means there is good depth. I like the tackles Philon, Brooks and Dunn in particular. The line gets to the QB too, with over 30 sacks each of Strong's two years.

The linebackers played well too. Preston Brown will get all conference honors, and I think they beat last year's impressive 3.0 ypc average. They have a very good pair of corners in Johnson and Bushell, and return both safeties.

Louisville has a big, physical defense that plays aggressive and hits hard. They are susceptible to big plays because they gamble so much, although I expect Strong to play more "assignment football" on defense as the team matures, which will cut down the big plays.

Schedule

The non-conference is manageable, with likely wins against Kentucky and Missouri State at home and at FIU. I think Southern Miss and UNC will be tough. UNC in particular returns a lot of talent despite the legion of violations by Butch Davis and his players. What does a kid have to do to be kicked off the team at UNC?

Only 3 BE road games, @ Pitt, @ Syracuse and @ Rutgers, so the schedule sets up nicely for the Cardinals.

Conclusion

I don't think Strong is a X's and O's genius, but installing confidence and discipline in a team goes a long way. He has recruited well, and now his recruits are reaching the prime of their college careers. He loses Victor Anderson and Dexter Heyman, and Heyman is the only really big loss. The schedule is friendly, there is a incredibly talented QB, and the defense should be among the best in the country.

This is a really good team ready to have a breakout year.

10-2 (6-1)

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
#1 pre season for the big east poll? i think so.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
They look like a top 25 squad. The BE really needs them to pick up wins against USM and UNC, in addition to UK. 10-2 is very reasonable, unfortunately this is a game that is a likely loss for UConn.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I think the Big East has 4 teams with a legit shot at finishing Top 25: Louisville, USF, Cincinnati and Rutgers.

Louisville has the talent and schedule to go undefeated, but I think they are a little too young and there is not enough of a gap between them and the rest of the league for them to win every game. Going undefeated is hard and teams need to be a little lucky.

Louisville should be able to beat USM. USM is not the same team as last year, but they are still good and winning on the road is tough. I am amazed about how good UNC is. It is like they didn't even get penalized by Davis' actions. With all the stuff that has gone on there, I would have expected half the team to be run off by now. I think UNC has potential to be the best team in a mediocre ACC. If Louisville beats UNC, then Louisville is going to have a great year.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
I think the Big East has 4 teams with a legit shot at finishing Top 25: Louisville, USF, Cincinnati and Rutgers.

Louisville has the talent and schedule to go undefeated, but I think they are a little too young and there is not enough of a gap between them and the rest of the league for them to win every game. Going undefeated is hard and teams need to be a little lucky.

Louisville should be able to beat USM. USM is not the same team as last year, but they are still good and winning on the road is tough. I am amazed about how good UNC is. It is like they didn't even get penalized by Davis' actions. With all the stuff that has gone on there, I would have expected half the team to be run off by now. I think UNC has potential to be the best team in a mediocre ACC. If Louisville beats UNC, then Louisville is going to have a great year.
OUt of curiosity I looked up UNC's schedule. OOC aside from Louisville they have Elon, Idaho and East Carolina. They have VT and State at home. If they're good and motivated / not distracted they could easily wind up in the orange bowl. Be interesting to see how they would be ranked by the polls.

Reaction Score
OUt of curiosity I looked up UNC's schedule. OOC aside from Louisville they have Elon, Idaho and East Carolina. They have VT and State at home. If they're good and motivated / not distracted they could easily wind up in the orange bowl. Be interesting to see how they would be ranked by the polls.

I think UNC is ineligible for postseason play this year.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
I think UNC is ineligible for postseason play this year.

yup

As a result of the violations, the Tar Heels were slapped with a one-year postseason ban (2012), placed the program on three years probation and penalized the team with a reduction of 15 scholarships. In addition to being ineligible for a bowl game in 2012, if North Carolina wins the Coastal Division, it won’t be allowed to participate in the ACC Championship.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
yup

As a result of the violations, the Tar Heels were slapped with a one-year postseason ban (2012), placed the program on three years probation and penalized the team with a reduction of 15 scholarships. In addition to being ineligible for a bowl game in 2012, if North Carolina wins the Coastal Division, it won’t be allowed to participate in the ACC Championship.

I was looking at the preseason mags, which were probably printed before this came out, or maybe i just missed it. I think Steele picked UNC to win its division.

Either way, Louisville is in for a battle. That team looks stacked with experienced, talented players, and has upgraded its coach. UNC will be a good squad this year.

Reaction Score
UNC will be ave. Yahoo sports has them 40th. New coach, 5 D starters back. They ended last year 7-6. Last seven games 2-5 with wins against Duke and WF. New O and D. This will be a transition year. They are having a great recruiting year so far.

Reaction Score
Waylon, you have done a very nice job with these reviews.

One quibble about L'ville. The offensive line may be a year older but they were terrible. Over 40 sacks last years. And if the running game struggles, they will be under siege. Even improvement could still mean a very bad OL.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Waylon, you have done a very nice job with these reviews.

One quibble about L'ville. The offensive line may be a year older but they were terrible. Over 40 sacks last years. And if the running game struggles, they will be under siege. Even improvement could still mean a very bad OL.

I don't have the Steele book, which breaks down sacks by game, in front of me, but I bet Bridgewater was responsible for half those sacks, especially early on. He was a split second slow on his reads all season, and NEVER threw the ball away in the first half of the year.

You always see big sack numbers against the O-Line with really young QB's.

The line's bigger problem will be Louisville's mediocre running backs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom