Lou & Larry Bird | The Boneyard

Lou & Larry Bird

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Most kids idolize the sports stars they watch growing up. Growing up in CT, I loved Mickey Mantle, Y. A. Title and Bill Russell. I got to see all of them play on TV and also got to see Mantle play in person.

Lou appears to idolize Larry Bird, not a bad role model for a big wing who can shoot the ball. But I have to say, I’m a little confused by Lou being a fan of Bird. Lou is a West Coast kid and everyone knows that in the Land of the Lakers, the Celtics are a hated team. In addition, Lou wasn’t even born until 5 years after Bird played his last game. I can only guess that Lou’s dad may have had some influence here.

What is more remarkable is how similar Lou and Bird’s respective games are. Lou and Bird both play the same position, the 3, wing or small forward. They both have really good size for the wing position, Bird at 6’9” and Lou at 6’3”.

Neither Bird or Lou is blessed with exceptional speed or jumping ability, but that’s just about the only limitation they have as basketball players. They are incredibly skilled ball-handlers who can dribble, pass and shoot with either hand. They are among the smartest basketball players I’ve seen. Bird and Lou both have the ability to take over a game, primarily as scorers, but also with the additional ability to deliver a key pass, steal or rebound as needed during a game.

Finally, there is Bird & Lou’s ability to shoot the ball. As great 3-pt shooters, they possess picture perfect jump shots, released in an easy, seemingly effortless fashion with deadly accuracy from anywhere on the floor.

Having watched Bird’s entire career from his days at Indiana St through his long career as a Celtic, and now watching Lou’s incredible performance with the Huskies, I feel I can definitively say that Larry Bird is the Katie Lou Samuelson of men’s basketball. ;)

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Having watched Bird’s entire career from his days at Indiana St through his long career as a Celtic, and now watching Lou’s incredible performance with the Huskies, I feel I can definitively say that Larry Bird is the Katie Lou Samuelson of men’s basketball. ;)

Did you mean to say that Katie Lou Samuelson s the Larry Bird of women's basketball?;)

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Did you mean to say that Katie Lou Samuelson s the Larry Bird of women's basketball?;)
I would only consider saying that because Bird is an old fart like me, but in truth I prefer the analogy exactly the way I originally stated it.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
I would only consider saying that because Bird is an old fart like me, but in truth I prefer the analogy exactly the way I originally stated it.

Bird was renowned for being a big white guy who could neither jump nor run -- but he was a lights out shooter and a nasty trash talker.

Katie Lou does not indulge in trash talking.;)

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Bird was renowned for being a big white guy who could neither jump nor run -- but he was a lights out shooter and a nasty trash talker.

Katie Lou does not indulge in trash talking.;)
OK, you got me there. Maybe we can get Lou to spend some time with DT for trash talk training. :rolleyes:

Jimbo

Running to Stand Still
Reaction Score
Lou appears to idolize Larry Bird, not a bad role model for a big wing who can shoot the ball. But I have to say, I’m a little confused by Lou being a fan of Bird. Lou is a West Coast kid and everyone knows that in the Land of the Lakers, the Celtics are a hated team. In addition, Lou wasn’t even born until 5 years after Bird played his last game. I can only guess that Lou’s dad may have had some influence here.
Your guess is correct! And not only that, but she prefers the Celtics to the Lakers overall! :D

Reaction Score
What I love most about KLS, is she has the KILLER INSTICT, to go along with talent and work ethic. She is becoming more of a nightmare to plan for than Stewie comparing them both at the sophmore level. She is already a better shooter and scorer. No, she will not be the shotblocker Stewie was. But I believe a better defender.

Reaction Score
You struck a chord with me when you mentioned Mantle. Live 90 miles from YS. Saw him end a 64 World Series game with a first pitch walkoff. Also saw him batting right handed hit the ball into the upper deck in right field. Such memories.!!!!!!

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
You struck a chord with me when you mentioned Mantle. Live 90 miles from YS. Saw him end a 64 World Series game with a first pitch walkoff. Also saw him batting right handed hit the ball into the upper deck in right field. Such memories.!!!!!!
Upperdeck shot against the Cardinals, memorialized in David Halberstam's book October 1964. Mantle had 3 HR's in that series, but the Yankees eventually lost in 7 to Bob Gibson and the Cards.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Interesting. But the day Lou can rebound and pass the way that guy did I'll take this seriously.

Reaction Score
I like the analogy and will take it one step further, Collier is UConn's Kevin McHale. He had the best low post moves of his era and Collier's up and under move is a good facsimile

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I like the analogy and will take it one step further, Collier is UConn's Kevin McHale. He had the best low post moves of his era and Collier's up and under move is a good facsimile
I guess that mean's that Gabby is the Chief....no that can't be right. :oops:

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Lou Legend!

11524040.jpeg

Adesmar123

Can you say UConn? I knew you could!
Reaction Score
Lou & Larry Bird.....

Just who is Lou Bird?

Reaction Score

I saw him hit #54 at Fenway in 1961. Maris had 59 on that day, I remember the small army of photographers all crouched around home plate. Tracy Stallard was pitching for the Sox that day - and Maris eventually hit #61 off him a few days later in NY.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom