Looks like Memphis to Big East | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Looks like Memphis to Big East

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Most of the hoops players that played at Memphis would have no chance of getting admitted to UConn or anyother Big East school. I don't know if their admissions standards would have to change with a BE membership. Most of the kids at Memphis would have rather gone to another school but Memphis was the best hoops school which they could attend.

Reaction Score
Most of the hoops players that played at Memphis would have no chance of getting admitted to UConn or anyother Big East school. I don't know if their admissions standards would have to change with a BE membership. Most of the kids at Memphis would have rather gone to another school but Memphis was the best hoops school which they could attend.

The teams people respect the most got started as renegade programs, or got started in an era when the NCAA didn't give a rats behind what anyone did. Why is it that now, renegades are bad? I think this entire league needs to go renegade to get up to par with the B12, the B1g, and the SEC. And da U. And USC. How else are we supposed to get there? I'd take partial qualifiers. This is about football relevance, not tea and crumpets on the Harvard lawn. We need to elevate. Then we can become more genteel.

Reaction Score
The teams people respect the most got started as renegade programs, or got started in an era when the NCAA didn't give a rats behind what anyone did. Why is it that now, renegades are bad? I think this entire league needs to go renegade to get up to par with the B12, the B1g, and the SEC. And da U. And USC. How else are we supposed to get there? I'd take partial qualifiers. This is about football relevance, not tea and crumpets on the Harvard lawn. We need to elevate. Then we can become more genteel.

Absolutely. Time to win games not worry about the the academics of football players. We can hold the rest of the student body to higher standards but the football and basketball players are hired guns. If we want to end up in a big revenue league, we need to win games and keep the brand in the news. I doubt we will go this route but I honestly can't see us competing with Memphis, Houston, SMU, Boise and UCF unless we do. Despite the constant whining on this board about the lowly schools we'll be playing, I think some will be blindsided by how good they will be and how fast it will happen. These schools are going to play to win, whatever that entails. The south doesn't play sports fair and we can't sit on a high horse expecting to win when we are held to higher standards.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score

You don't even have to take your own SATs to get into Memphis.

Reaction Score
I'd take partial qualifiers.

I totally agree with this. It boggles the mind that the Big East intentionally puts itself at a competitive disadvantage to the SEC. We are in a fight for survival and this rule needs to change. Montrell Dobbs could have been a game changing RB for us.

MattMang23

Reaction Score
Acknowledging the Derrick Rose fake ID and test admission reference, the College Board website actualy suggests Memphis only requires the Reasoning portion of the SAT, or the ACT. If submitting the ACT, the writing section is optional". No BS!

How does that even qualify someone to be a college student then?

What if I then wanted to take only the political science courses needed for my degree? Will Memphis give me my degree if I opt-out of taking all other portions of a full coarse load?

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
How does that even qualify someone to be a college student then?

What if I then wanted to take only the political science courses needed for my degree? Will Memphis give me my degree if I opt-out of taking all other portions of a full coarse load?

The irony of you ragging on Memphis for their low academic standards and then misusing the word "coarse" when you should have used "course" is funny. Very funny.

MattMang23

Reaction Score
The irony of you ragging on Memphis for their low academic standards and then misusing the word "coarse" when you should have used "course" is funny. Very funny.

D*mn it. Touché.

Oh well... If that's the worst mistake I make today I'll still have a better day than John Marinatto had yesterday.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
This sucks. Memphis was #5 or #6 on my list of mid-majors i would have wanted in the Big East.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I'm not thrilled about Memphis. Academics are poor and Memphis can be a rough place to live.

Football is mediocre at best, basketball is real good.

Fills a geographic void between Cincy, Louisville (who knows for how long with them) and the Texas schools.

As a fan, Memphis is easy to get in and out of from any east coast or midwest airport and it's a great place to visit as a fan. Great nightlife, food and history.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
Imagine if instead of spending $150-200 million upgrading football, UConn spent it on a first-class BB/Hockey arena? They'd be in the exact same long-term situation conference-wise. But they wouldn't be throwing cash down the drain in football.

Sorry for the overdramatics, but, frankly, this sucks.

Reaction Score
I'm not thrilled about Memphis. Academics are poor and Memphis can be a rough place to live.

Football is mediocre at best, basketball is real good.

Fills a geographic void between Cincy, Louisville (who knows for how long with them) and the Texas schools.

As a fan, Memphis is easy to get in and out of from any east coast or midwest airport and it's a great place to visit as a fan. Great nightlife, food and history.

i'm relatively happy with Memphis for the last reason you list. to be honest, as a fan, what else do you possibly care about? i don't get why people complain about how parts of Memphis are a rathole. it's not like we're requiring you to spend a night there living on the streets as a part of BE admission. i've spent 3 or 4 days in Memphis on a little vacation and had an incredible time. for a weekend football trip i doubt there's many better places to spend a saturday night than Beale Street. academically it's in the same ball park as our current bottom feeders, and again, who gives a crap? it's not like it'll change the value of your UConn degree any more than a Duke degree is hurt by being in a conference with NCState.

Reaction Score
Imagine if instead of spending $150-200 million upgrading football, UConn spent it on a first-class BB/Hockey arena? They'd be in the exact same long-term situation conference-wise. But they wouldn't be throwing cash down the drain in football.

Sorry for the overdramatics, but, frankly, this sucks.

Reaction Score
you guys serious about lowering standards for athletes? I can't tell if certain people are being serious or sarcastic and it's a bit worrisome. UConn is still an institution of higher learning, and seeing as I have an undergraduate and graduate degree from there, I'd like to see those as continue to rise in prestige, not be sullied at an attempt to get into a better conference. I'm all for high admission standards. You can't make grades in high school? How are you going to do that in college?

Reaction Score
Appeases the basketball schools. Don't get in knot over academics and standards. OK graduates 40% and would admit somebody who breathes. I am happy that the academic standards are high and we graduate kids at a high rate.

Reaction Score
i'm relatively happy with Memphis for the last reason you list. to be honest, as a fan, what else do you possibly care about? i don't get why people complain about how parts of Memphis are a rathole. it's not like we're requiring you to spend a night there living on the streets as a part of BE admission. i've spent 3 or 4 days in Memphis on a little vacation and had an incredible time. for a weekend football trip i doubt there's many better places to spend a saturday night than Beale Street. academically it's in the same ball park as our current bottom feeders, and again, who gives a crap? it's not like it'll change the value of your UConn degree any more than a Duke degree is hurt by being in a conference with NCState.

Agreed. Great place to go for a weekend and a conference W for the foreseeable future. Not optimal but at this point I'm good.

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=41.185915,-73.171165

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Which is why you are still pining for the Whalers? I love this board.

(all said in jest...please don't take it as more than that)

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=41.200473,-73.122856

I don't pine for the Whalers - I actually find the people who delude themselves into thinking the NHL is coming back quite humorous.

The one thing being a Whalers fan would teach you is that you need to be able to enjoy your team and sports even when they suck :). It's what UConn fans under 35 don't understand - they didn't sneak their Walkman into junior high school to listen to UConn get buried in the Big East Tournament when they were lucky enough to be the 7 seed and didn't lose the 8-9 game.

Reaction Score
The Whalers may come back. You never know. Who expected a franchise back in Winnipeg? Quebec is also high on the list.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
The Whalers may come back. You never know. Who expected a franchise back in Winnipeg? Quebec is also high on the list.

The Whalers aren't coming back. Quebec and Winnipeg aren't anything like Hartford with respect to the NHL.

Reaction Score
The Whalers aren't coming back. Quebec and Winnipeg aren't anything like Hartford with respect to the NHL.
Quebec and Winnipeg do have more hardcore hockey fans. We may be sandwiched between Boston and New York. But the NHL and their fans don't forget we are the largest market without a pro sports franchise. The NHL or NBA would work wonders here, with the NHL more likely to come. Had the Whalers been better managed, they would have stayed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TBall

Top Bottom