Looks like Memphis to Big East | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Looks like Memphis to Big East

Status
Not open for further replies.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
It's a photo from when they played Ole Miss and the building had 45K Rebel fans in it.

You think Central Florida's gonna pack the place? Or UConn?

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Can you even imagine if UConn's home schedule next year is UMass, NCSU, Buffalo, Memphis, Cincy and Pitt.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Memphis' second highest home attendance this year was 18k and it was for Austin Peay.

Edit: Published attendance was 18k. They probably don't really get 18k for 2 games combined.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
Can you even imagine if UConn's home schedule next year is UMass, NCSU, Buffalo, Memphis, Cincy and Pitt.
The only thing keeping me from stabbing my eyes out is the hope that Memphis will be in the western division and not play at the Rent every other year.

Oh, and their "potential".

Reaction Score
Never seen Hartford nor New Haven on The First 48...

Memphis? Every other episode.

Sadly, I realize that I am definitely biased as a result of that show toward Memphis. I do like the cops there though other than Mason.

There is definitely a reason that Hartford has rejected the First 48.

Reaction Score
Well I've never heard of the First 48, but what I know is that getting in the Big East will likely rejuvinate what is obviously a lackluster football program. With massive investments from private and public donors, the potential for Memphis to mirror Louisville is there for the taking. Louisville was in a similar place years ago when they made a commitment and hired Schnellenberger. Then the money flowed. Louisville's on-campus facilities were built almost entirely with private donations.

Reaction Score
That's true. FedEx is a public corporation. They have a fiduciary responsibility to their shareholders. While they might spend some money on the Memphis program through sponsorships, they can't become a "sugar daddy" because they have to spend money in a business-like manner based on at least a prima facie justification that it is tied to a return on investment. In this day and age, particularly give the economic conditions, execs can't throw massive amounts of corporate funds at pet programs without risking shareholder revolt.

Public corporations can justify lots of things...lol Just ask Nike regarding their support of Oregon football. And you can ask Under Armor about their support of Maryland football. Who can forget those hideous MD uniforms? The financing for those uniforms came from UA as I recall.

So...I have no doubt that if FedEx would like to do something similar for Memphis football, and Memphis is willing to be the recipient, of course, then that is very possible. Anything that gets the corporate name out in public in a favorable light, can be justified as a viable advertising effort.

As to whether a relationship is there between the two to develop this type of effort for football, I have no idea. But I'm sure it will be explored...if I'm Memphis!

*Nostical...had not seen your response earlier. Good information! FedEx will be involved! That is how you get significant program upgrades...and quickly!

Reaction Score
I finally get it:

Houston, Memphis, New Jersey, Baltimore, Tampa Bay....

Welcome to the USFL.
I like that. With expansion franchises in Hartford, Cincinnati, Boise and Dallas. You forgot Orlando and Denver.

Reaction Score
My guess is that the BE announcing that Memphis is joining in 2013, at this time, is only public posturing. The thought is that, as part of the mediation process, the BE will become agreeable to allow WVU out of the league early, IF....they are willing to pay ALL costs associated with Memphis leaving the C-USA for BE admittance in 2012. This would include Memphis' lost share of C-USA TV revenue in 2012. Hopefully these fees are also in addition to a hefty $20 mil plus price tag for breaching the original BE separation agreement. Because Memphis may be been willing to exit their league early in order to gain BE admission, I think this is THE major reason why Memphis has been selected to join the league at this time, and not one of the other schools discussed for 2013.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
Let me get this straight: the Big East is prepared to let MEMPHIS replace WEST VIRGINIA in 2012, as long as WVU covers the cash?

Anyone who thinks this isn't batshit-crazy-insane needs to look at what the schedule will be again. Memphis. Memphis.

MEMPHIS

Reaction Score
Let me get this straight: the Big East is prepared to let MEMPHIS replace WEST VIRGINIA in 2012, as long as WVU covers the cash?

Anyone who thinks this isn't bat****-crazy-insane needs to look at what the schedule will be again. Memphis. Memphis.

MEMPHIS

It's the best they can do at this point. Boise St has already said it is too late to join the BE next year.

Reaction Score
My guess is that the BE announcing that Memphis is joining in 2013, at this time, is only public posturing. The thought is that, as part of the mediation process, the BE will become agreeable to allow WVU out of the league early, IF....they are willing to pay ALL costs associated with Memphis leaving the C-USA for BE admittance in 2012. This would include Memphis' lost share of C-USA TV revenue in 2012. Hopefully these fees are also in addition to a hefty $20 mil plus price tag for breaching the original BE separation agreement. Because Memphis may be been willing to exit their league early in order to gain BE admission, I think this is THE major reason why Memphis has been selected to join the league at this time, and not one of the other schools discussed for 2013.
i think you are on to someting. The cancellation of the FSU game just might be related to whats going on here. Sounds like morgantown is trying to offset some damages perhaps.

UConnSportsGuy

Addicted to all things UCONN!
Reaction Score

It may get worse than that. Word is that if WVU is allowed to leave early, that Pitt and Syracuse may do the same once the precedent is set. So the home schedule could look like UMass, NCSU, Buffalo, Memphis, Cincy, and Lehigh (or some other D1-AA schools since UMass is now officially D1-A and we don't have a D1-AA team on the schedule). How is that for a home schedule? No wonder UConn went with the early push for season tickets and allowed the payment plan option (without a refund option after first payment if canceled).

Reaction Score
It may get worse than that. Word is that if WVU is allowed to leave early, that Pitt and Syracuse may do the same once the precedent is set. So the home schedule could look like UMass, NCSU, Buffalo, Memphis, Cincy, and Lehigh (or some other D1-AA schools since UMass is now officially D1-A and we don't have a D1-AA team on the schedule). How is that for a home schedule? No wonder UConn went with the early push for season tickets and allowed the payment plan option (without a refund option after first payment if canceled).
We'll probably be getting some wins! We can go 6-0 on that schedule. Cincy has an insane QB. NC State would also be another to watch out for.

Reaction Score
Memphis' second highest home attendance this year was 18k and it was for Austin Peay.

Edit: Published attendance was 18k. They probably don't really get 18k for 2 games combined.

What was UConn's attendance in Memorial Stadium? When did we become attendance elitists?

Reaction Score
Memphis has been to five bowls in the last decade. They suck now, but have had modest success, somewhat recently. I liked their HC hire. This a move to help the basketball league, with the hope that they can regain competitiveness in football.

I don't think the league is done expanding...

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I like that. With expansion franchises in Hartford, Cincinnati, Boise and Dallas. You forgot Orlando and Denver.

I would have thrown Denver in but Air Force isn't committed yet. I did forget Orlando, or I may have forgotten UCF, it's hard to keep track.

The Houston Gamblers had a pretty cool logo.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
What was UConn's attendance in Memorial Stadium? When did we become attendance elitists?

I've always been an elitist. Memorial Stadium and 1-AA hardly compares to a team in CUSA. Is their attendance really going to go through the roof? They already play in a conference with half the teams in the new league. Somehow SMU or UCF becomes a big draw because the field had Big East painted on it instead of CUSA?

Reaction Score
Somehow SMU or UCF becomes a big draw because the field had Big East painted on it instead of CUSA?
GREAT question Whaler...You also summed up the end result of the new BE. What a disaster!

Reaction Score
Disaster? Are you nuts? Marinnato is preparing a feast for the next BEC meetings. Fish tacos from SD, BBQ from Memphis, steaks from Houston, crab cakes from Annapolis, potatoes from Boise, and ice cream on a stick shaped like mouse ears from Orlando. All we're missing are rocky mountain oysters Denver, and craw fish from New Orleans.

All in all, I'd say the BE/CUSA/MWC merger is going quite well.

Reaction Score
I've always been an elitist. Memorial Stadium and 1-AA hardly compares to a team in CUSA. Is their attendance really going to go through the roof? They already play in a conference with half the teams in the new league. Somehow SMU or UCF becomes a big draw because the field had Big East painted on it instead of CUSA?

I don't see what the alternative is. ECU brings no television market, Temple, well, Temple is Temple... what were our other options? At least Memphis gives you basketball credibility.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom