Looks like Memphis to Big East | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Looks like Memphis to Big East

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Not a bad day folks, this team has potential.

liberty-bowl4.jpg

Reaction Score
I think Memphis has potential and I have always been a fan of inviting them if for no other reason that when they had a USFL team they had decent attendance compared to other locations. I think the city will support the program if they can bring up their competitionl level a notch. Certainly bringing in teams like Boise St and Houston are going to do that for them in the western division. I honestly don't give a crap about their academics. it has no bearing on the field of play.

Reaction Score
Good move for basketball if nothing else. Memphis has produced DeAngelo Williams. Could be a decent football program, but keeping my fingers crossed.

Reaction Score
They'll be fine. As said before, Memphis has no pro franchise now. This would fill their void in football.

Reaction Score
The BE must have gotten my email that I said Memphis would be a good market and open doors to some nice recruits in the TN and GA area.

Since Memphis is about 300 miles from the Georgia border I doubt it will help much with recruiting there.

Reaction Score
You folks are right that Fedex is a public corp, but dead wrong about their forthcoming financial commitment to Memphis Football/Basketball. Branding is a big part of corporate name recognition and promotion. With many more eyeballs watching the Tigers now that they are in a big boy conference, there will be a massive infusion of dollars--- signage, suites, facilities, uniforms, coaches salaries, etc. Fred Smith (FedEx's founder) is a part owner of the Redskins, and bought the naming rights to its stadium-- FedEx Field-- and named the U of Memphis basketball arena. He and the Fedex connection were poised to spend big bucks--and now--thanks to their Big East invite--the checks will be written.

http://www.cbssports.com/general/st...illions-if-bcsaffiliated-league-takes-memphis

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
I was wondering why they didn't try and have Memphis pull a WVU and have them bail on C-USA and join up for 2012. Let's all be honest here and admit that WVU is long gone. So why not get a school with no morals, like West Virginia, and have them fill that gap in the schedule and join in 2012?

On a side note, why can't the Big East do what the Big-12 did and force their commish to resign. Oh wait, I know, because the basketball schools have all the say....it will be interesting what happens when all the programs come on board and the bball programs are outnumbered. Hopefully everyone will still be here come 2013, however, I'm not holding my breath....

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
I am not sold on Memphis but my guess is to make the schools west of the Mississippi happy with shorter travel distances.
Best thing about Memphis is Beale st. Their football is second rate but the recruiting area is pretty good for both basketball and football. I guess that is the other positive. It might make the basketball schools happy, not that I care mind you.

Reaction Score
Memphis is also a great town. Used to go for work all of the time. Can't wait to go down for a game and hit the Rendezvous and Beale street...

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
Memphis has a lot of things.

A complete lack of any academic standards. An incredibly dangerous city. An antiquated football stadium rarely filled by living humans. The worst football team in America. Perhaps the dirtiest program in the history of college basketball.

Potential? No. It does not have that.

Reaction Score
Well zls, that sure is a classy and gracious way to welcome the newest member of the conference.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I was wondering why they didn't try and have Memphis pull a WVU and have them bail on C-USA and join up for 2012. Let's all be honest here and admit that WVU is long gone. So why not get a school with no morals, like West Virginia, and have them fill that gap in the schedule and join in 2012?

On a side note, why can't the Big East do what the Big-12 did and force their commish to resign. Oh wait, I know, because the basketball schools have all the say....it will be interesting what happens when all the programs come on board and the bball programs are outnumbered. Hopefully everyone will still be here come 2013, however, I'm not holding my breath....

The schools signed off on this debacle. It's not like the Commissioner is acting alone adding teams pell mell and willy nilly. It just seems that way.

And I hope at least a few of these schools find new homes. For example maybe Memphis can join the Sun Belt before 2013 - it's the only league where they wouldn't go winless in 'As School Match Wits'.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
Well zls, that sure is a classy and gracious way to welcome the newest member of the conference.

It was 100% accurate.

I'd be classy if they were not an institution dragging college sports through the mud across two major sports for the past four decades.

Oh, no, I wasn't classy to Memphis...are they going to reconsider?

empty_t607.jpg

I hope so.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I finally get it:

Houston, Memphis, New Jersey, Baltimore, Tampa Bay....

Welcome to the USFL.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
Memphis has a lot of things.

An incredibly dangerous city.

Indeed. I'd rather my alma mater not be associated with schools in cities that regularly appear on the show The First 48.

MattMang23

Reaction Score
I've spent time in Memphis on business. Stayed at The Peabody Hotel where the ducks rule the lobby. Great place. Beale St was active and thriving. Restaurants were good.
Two of you posted pictures. So which is the reality?
http://memphisport.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/liberty-bowl4.jpg
http://media.commercialappeal.com/media/img/photos/2011/11/04/empty_t607.jpg[/quote]

Considering the first link is to an aerial pic from the Liberty Bowl, I'll go with the second.

Reaction Score
Indeed. I'd rather my alma mater not be associated with schools in cities that regularly appear on the show The First 48.

Well I guess we can't play at the Civic Center anymore. I guess we can't have Yale in the Big East either.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score

I read on the Memphis board, IIRC, that they might be the only school willing to pay a hefty early exit fee to CUSA in order to join the BE in 2012 if the Scumeers get out early.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Well that one picture is labeled sept 11 - they did host Mississippi State in September, but the published attendance was only in the mid 30s - the capacity is 61k - so there is no way that picture was taken at a Memphis game any time in the recent past.

MattMang23

Reaction Score
Well I guess we can't play at the Civic Center any more. I guess we can't have Yale in the Big East either.

Never seen Hartford nor New Haven on The First 48...

Memphis? Every other episode.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
Well that one picture is labeled sept 11 - they did host Mississippi State in September, but the published attendance was only in the mid 30s - the capacity is 61k - so there is no way that picture was taken at a Memphis game any time in the recent past.
Tennessee gives them a home game once every 5 years or so and sells the place out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom