Looks like Memphis to Big East | The Boneyard

Looks like Memphis to Big East

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
So Memphis is going to put up $6.13M to make up for lost TV revenue to leave the Conference USA...if it sounds too good to be true...guess we gotta wait and see.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Mods, we need the head banging against the wall emoticon cause I think El meatball just weakened our damage claim against WVU.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk

Reaction Score
^unless this is his attempt to cover for agreeing to let them go

UConnSportsGuy

Addicted to all things UCONN!
Reaction Score
Mods, we need the head banging against the wall emoticon cause I think El meatball just weakened our damage claim against WVU.

In addition, they have opened the door for Syracuse and Pitt to leave for 2012 as well:

http://blogs.sites.post-gazette.com/index.php/sports/pitt-redshirt-diaries

The Big East is so incredibly stupid and ignorant. At this point, we should just leave and start an entirely new conference so that we can get rid of the Big East leadership and get new people to run the conference. The way that the Big East leaders have screwed this up is so beyond belief. I used to say "well, what were the leaders supposed to do with the hand they were dealt"....but now, it is like they are double agents actually working for the other side. There is no other way to categorize their complete ineptitude and lack of understanding of what is going on or what is at stake here.

I am starting to truly believe that this whole charade of the past few years was really just the basketball schools trying to get as much money as they can out of this situation. No other explanation.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
I am starting to truly believe that this whole charade of the past few years was really just the basketball schools trying to get as much money as they can out of this situation. No other explanation.

If the reports are true, it is difficult to come to any other conclusion.

Reaction Score
Good Lord. Please somebody tell me that this is an April's Fool joke delivered prematurely.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
I'm trying to find the clip of Andy Kaufman mocking "Maaemphuuus Taaenuuhsaee", but there's like a million Andy Kaufman clip on youtube and I don't have time to sort through them all at work.

Reaction Score
Good Lord. Please somebody tell me that this is an April's Fool joke delivered prematurely.
I guess that the Memphis fan that used to lecture us on the old Rivals board about what a great improvement Memphis would be in 2005 is on cloud 9.

Reaction Score
I guess that the Memphis fan that used to lecture us on the old Rivals board about what a great improvement Memphis would be in 2005 is on cloud 9.
You don't have to guess, the fan IS on cloud 9. On the bright side, Memphis has been a pro football town before. The WFL, USFL, CFL and XFL

Reaction Score
i still don't understand why everyone's so sour on Memphis. academically they're in the ballpark of UofL, WVU, and some others (even though academics have nothing to do with any of this). sports-wise they'll be a good fit for bball, and while their football team has been downright lousy lately, so are a lot of BCS teams. personally i think the BE's biggest problem over the last several years is lack of a real doormat to make the other teams look better. even when Cuse was at their worst, they were a step up from the Dukes of the world.

i wonder if this changes UofL's mind at all about wanting to go to the B12. Pitino certainly wanted them in

RS9999X

There's no Dark Side .....it's all Dark.
Reaction Score
i wonder if this changes UofL's mind at all about wanting to go to the B12. Pitino certainly wanted them in

Bwaah Haah Haaah.

That's funny. Pitono is channeling the king

I'm going down to Memphis
Memphis, Tennessee
I'm going down to Graceland
Thinking about the King
Remembering him sing
About those heavenly mansions
Jesus mentioned

Can't you just imagine
Digging up the King
Begging him to sing
Jesus mentioned

He went walking on the water
With his pills

Can't you just imagine
Digging up the King
Begging him to sing
Jesus mentioned

Reaction Score
One of two likely scenarios:

1) a pressure move on Air Force to make a decision. The addition of Memphis makes for 12 football teams with no spot for Air Force

2) The BE administration is giving into the fact that one or more teams (Louisville to the B-12) will be leaving in the near future so they are comfortable adding Memphis and knowing there will be a spot for Air Force.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
Should have been U! N! L! V! UNLV go! fight! win!

Better city, direct flights from everywhere, better bball brand overall, both suck at football so that's a wash, better travel partner for other new football members, better bball recruiting area, but the main thing: UNLV plays in a city where they're the only game in town. People there love them some Rebs bball. Their bball following in Vegas is much akin to UConn's in CT.

And they have the coolest intro in all of college hoops.

Since football has nothing to do with why Memphis was added, why not pick the better bball school? Ya know, the one people actually care about...

Reaction Score
Interesting times folks. As much as I yammer on and on, the big east is a hybrid conference. There was a model in place for scheudling a 17 team basketball league season quite recently, and every football conference that is going to produce 10, 11, 12 win programs, is going to also have programs that win only 3 games a year.

Welcome to the big east's version of Duke football.

Reaction Score
Fed Ex will now be poised to be the sugar daddy of the Memphis football program and spend gobs of money on facilities and salaries. And like we saw with the nfluence of Nike and UnderArmor at Oregon and Maryland, look for Purple and Orange FedEx colors to dominate the new helmets and uniforms. The Ground and Air Attack is back.

Reaction Score
Fed Ex will now be poised to be the sugar daddy of the Memphis football program and spend gobs of money on facilities and salaries. And like we saw with the nfluence of Nike and UnderArmor at Oregon and Maryland, look for Purple and Orange FedEx colors to dominate the new helmets and uniforms. The Ground and Air Attack is back.

Always follow the money trail, got to be a source somewhere, and there's got to be a place for it to go.

Reaction Score
The BE must have gotten my email that I said Memphis would be a good market and open doors to some nice recruits in the TN and GA area.

Reaction Score
They came very close to calling the NBA Memphis Grizzlies, the Memphis Express. The NBA's only response was that the time is not right. I am not looking forward to more corporate endorsements.

Reaction Score
FDX is no more likely to be a sugar daddy to Memphis sports then UTX is to UConn sports. Don't think you can use Nike and UnderArmour as examples, both are in the business of selling athletic goods, they are sugar daddies to several of schools. The big money for Oregon came from Knight's personal fortune not NKE corporate funds. Some of the people at FDX may pony up but that remains to be seen.

Reaction Score
FDX is no more likely to be a sugar daddy to Memphis sports then UTX is to UConn sports. Don't think you can use Nike and UnderArmour as examples, both are in the business of selling athletic goods, they are sugar daddies to several of schools. The big money for Oregon came from Knight's personal fortune not NKE corporate funds. Some of the people at FDX may pony up but that remains to be seen.
That's true. FedEx is a public corporation. They have a fiduciary responsibility to their shareholders. While they might spend some money on the Memphis program through sponsorships, they can't become a "sugar daddy" because they have to spend money in a business-like manner based on at least a prima facie justification that it is tied to a return on investment. In this day and age, particularly give the economic conditions, execs can't throw massive amounts of corporate funds at pet programs without risking shareholder revolt.

Reaction Score
Memphis is getting a shot at big time football. If I was a bettor, I'd be willing to bet they'd pony up. Their first venture into pro football, the 1974 WFL Memphis Southmen, were very well supported. Even Elvis attended games. His favorite player was a RB from Rutgers, JJ Jennings! Ray Rice just broke his career rushing record recently. JJ lives in CT. I want to meet up with him.

The Memphis WFL franchise tried to get merged into the NFL, along with Birmingham. Didn't succeed. Only two owners voted in favor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TBall

Top Bottom