Looks Like ACC CCG Dergulation WIll Pass | Page 8 | The Boneyard

Looks Like ACC CCG Dergulation WIll Pass

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Before you get too far off on a ACC is so much smarter than the B1G because they didn't want a Pitt-PSU rivalry rant, the same can be said about UCONN fans knowing that a UCONN-BC rivalry would have given the ACC such a shot in the arm in the northeast...in HUGE TV markets.
I am not certain it would have, but I have said on this board several times it very well could.

The bitterness of so many UConn fans blinds you to all kinds of rather obvious details, including that I came here not to tell you that would be never move from the AAC but to explain to you how things happened and why UConn, unless its fan reactions on the internet make the ACC see UConn as another WVU, is most likely the school the ACC hopes to add next.

Reaction Score
Leave it to stimpycuse...anywhere he can he'll find it...RU hate dot stimp..

Nicky it ain't hard to find. There have been about three or four threads posted here about Midwestern Journalists writing articles this month asking WTF?

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
I am not certain it would have, but I have said on this board several times it very well could.

The bitterness of so many UConn fans blinds you to all kinds of rather obvious details, including that I came here not to tell you that would be never move from the AAC but to explain to you how things happened and why UConn, unless its fan reactions on the internet make the ACC see UConn as another WVU, is most likely the school the ACC hopes to add next.

If there's one thing UCONN fans love it's being lectured and reminded about the hows and whys we are in the AAC when our local rivals, all of whom we view as equals or inferior to UCONN for various reasons, are not. To be fair, you are not the only enlightened visitor we get here regurgitating the same drivel why UCONN is stuck in AAC purgatory and why it made sense to add our mediocre rivals instead. We are a very bitter fanbase and for good reason. We are the ELITE basketball program in the country, have every bit as much success as our local rivals since we made the move up in football, sport other very successful athletic programs like soccer, baseball, and an upgrade in hockey, while boasting excellent academics with reach into very good sized TV markets NYC #1, Boston #7, Hartford/New Haven #30. The criteria to explain why our rivals get continually invited over UCONN constantly changes to best fit the other school. Time and time and time and time again. So , we're bitter. Don't come to the Yard with your "why things happened to UCONN" lecture circuit and expect a cookie.

But we do agree that UCONN is too rich of a school and AD to be playing against mid-major competition. That is clear to everyone with a rational set of eyeballs and the ability to analyze sports objectively.

Reaction Score
If there's one thing UCONN fans love it's being lectured and reminded about the hows and whys we are in the AAC when our local rivals, all of whom we view as equals or inferior to UCONN for various reasons, are not. To be fair, you are not the only enlightened visitor we get here regurgitating the same drivel why UCONN is stuck in AAC purgatory and why it made sense to add our mediocre rivals instead. We are a very bitter fanbase and for good reason. We are the ELITE basketball program in the country, have every bit as much success as our local rivals since we made the move up in football, sport other very successful athletic programs like soccer, baseball, and an upgrade in hockey, while boasting excellent academics with reach into very good sized TV markets NYC #1, Boston #7, Hartford/New Haven #30. The criteria to explain why our rivals get continually invited over UCONN constantly changes to best fit the other school. Time and time and time and time again. So , we're bitter. Don't come to the Yard with your "why things happened to UCONN" lecture circuit and expect a cookie.

But we do agree that UCONN is too rich of a school and AD to be playing against mid-major competition. That is clear to everyone with a rational set of eyeballs and the ability to analyze sports objectively.

Good post - it can be tedious dealing with pontification heaped upon us by the underachieving catholics - On this, the holiest of days, they should say a couple of rosaries and do the stations of the cross.

Reaction Score
Nicky it ain't hard to find. There have been about three or four threads posted here about Midwestern Journalists writing articles this month asking WTF?
Methinks you are LOOKING for it not "finding" it!?!What's even worse you "pass on" negativity with apparent glee!! Boy would it be fun meeting u. If you're so anti-B1G WTF are u trolling their boards for anyway? Even i rarely venture outside the local board's...I don't even participate on RU's board....u seem to be a "troller" lol if i might politely(as u do) say.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Maybe I'm crazy, but I don't think this is particularly difficult to understand:

1) UConn fans prefer the B1G to joining the ACC. The ACC, looking to augment its football and basketball, raided the Big East for Syracuse, Pitt, and Louisville in the past few years. These moves destroyed the Big East as we know it. Furthermore, twice, UConn was targeted for expansion, however, BC threw up its roadblock, claiming a desire to "be New England's team" and prevent UConn from joining. Argue that BC does not have the power to do this if you like, but do not be surprised when we do not believe you. Member schools of a conference will not fight against the wishes of another if there is a viable alternative to pick. Sadly for UConn, Pitt and Louisville (with Clemson and FSU in tow) were satisfactory alternatives, and the member schools did not have to go against BC's wishes. Notice how rare news of a rejection hits the news wires. Query why UConn fans can readily link multiple sources with quotes as to why they were not invited. Usually, you hear news of the inner workings of a conference when an addition is imminent, not when a school was rejected. There is sufficient evidence to infer a hostility in the ACC to UConn, not from all members probably, but enough smoke exists here that you are blind to pretend there is no fire. Seeing the general hostility towards UConn, it should not surprise you that we prefer to join a different league given the choice.

2) Specifically for the ACC visitors, we DO NOT DEFEND THE ADDITION OF RUTGERS TO THE B1G. We objectively understand it. The B1G's expansion criteria is objective. They look for large, land-grant universities with AAU status, and those who can augment the value of the B1G Network. AAU membership is not the overriding factor, but it counts for a lot. First, they added Nebraska, a legacy football program with a national brand. Nebraska's name adds value to every game they play, making the addition valuable to the B1G network. While no longer in the AAU, they were members, a "like" university whose monetary value outweighed those factors. Maryland and Rutgers have between them 5.277 million cable television households. While athletically average to subpar, the financial value they add is clear. Charge $5 a month for each cable subscriber in those states (assuming you can), and annually, those schools pull in $316.6 million.

We think the B1G probably made a mistake with the Rutgers addition, but we know why they did it.

Reaction Score
Oddest? Maybe so. It is easily the most diverse. And that means it is the conference most like the country and its time zone. Some schools are located in large cities and some are in small towns.

Of the 15, 6 are private. 2 of those are Catholic. 2 of those were founded as Methodist colleges and have become independent private schools, though the Duke Divinity school still has ties to the UMC. Wake Forest was founded as a Southern Baptist college, but now is independent. Miami was founded as an independent private university. The private colleges range in size from WFU (4800 undergrads) to Syracuse (15,000 undergrads).

Of the 9 state schools, FSU is the largest. It began as the Women's college of the University of Florida and thus in a sense is half of the 'flagship' state university in FL. Georgia Tech and Clemson, both of which are smaller state schools, are the only two non-flagship state universities in the country to be universally ranked higher academically than their states' flagships universities. Pitt, which like Virginia and North Carolina was on the original list of Public Ivys, was founded as a private school and today is like Penn St in that it is state-related as opposed to being a true state university. Virginia and North Carolina are the two most prestigious state universities in the south. Virginia Tech and North Carolina State are land grant and #2 state schools. Louisville began as a municipal university - I think it was the first city owned college in the country. For decades KY operated it as basically an open admission school for people living in or near the state's largest city. But the growth of the state, city, and university has meant much greater state funding. Louisville rather surprisingly has an academic endowment of about 1.2 billion dollars, which is larger than the University of Kentucky. That endowment and the ACC affiliations probably will mean that over time Louisville joins the club of Georgia Tech and Clemson.
I was trying to figure out the second Catholic School. Is ND still considered a Catholic school or a member of the ACC. (Sorry I couldn't resist)
Just because UConn fans prefer to be in the B1G ,it certainly isn't a forgone conclusion that it will ever happen. Most of us are realistic, which leads us to the conclusion we will never be accepted into the ACC. There is apparently a vocal minority within that conference opposed to UConn which precludes our membership. Chasing the ACC is futile.
That opposition will only be overcome when it is apparent that UConn is approaching a B1G invite. Either way UConn's best strategy is to pursue B1g acceptance. Rutgers is integral to that strategy. Our president has actually adopted a B1G type agenda with her focus on expansion, endowment,academics and research growth. Coupled with continued support of our athletic programs.
I think any reasonable human could empathize with a UConn fan frustration at our situation. I do with all the schools who came out on the short end of CR. If you don't I feel sorry for your innate lack of humanity.
I have stated that if UConn goes to a P5 conference in the postscript on CR that move will be considered a no brainer.

Reaction Score
Methinks you are LOOKING for it not "finding" it!?!What's even worse you "pass on" negativity with apparent glee!! Boy would it be fun meeting u. If you're so anti-B1G WTF are u trolling their boards for anyway? Even i rarely venture outside the local board's...I don't even participate on RU's board....u seem to be a "troller" lol if i might politely(as u do) say.

I don't visit any other Big Ten boards other than Penn State. I started visiting theirs when UVA played Penn State in football in 2012. I have a good idea of what they think. I have no interest in any other Big Ten board. I do visit all of the ACC boards except for the Maryland Board because it is pay. I visit this board because it is about CR and a thread on the Texas board about CR. That's about it. I don't recall being on the Rutgers board. You may have pointed out something there sometime that I looked at, but it was a while ago. I don't remember.

Reaction Score
Gentlemen, please, let's try to pull ourselves together. There are actually some people on here trying to defend the attributes Rutgers brings to a league. That's not appropriate.

Let me explain a little about what I like to call my "bad apple" theory of conference realignment. When you invite a bad apple into your conference, it ruins the league. This is what has happened with Rutgers to the Big Ten. That move is going to totally destroy the Big Ten. The same thing happened with Boston College to the ACC. Now look at them.

What's that you say? Won't the Big Ten be able to elevate the Rutgers program at least somewhat so maybe they are at the Northwestern level of athletic prominence, or at the very least not destroy the rest of the Big Ten schools? No. That's just how bad Rutgers is. They are going to completely destroy every other program. Soon you will see Big Ten teams fleeing for the Big 12. To which Rutgers will respond "Hey guys, where are you all going? What's the problem?" Just look at the shenanigans that have been going on there at Rutgers since they were invited. They're not even really members yet. Just think how bad it will be once they are truly in the league, spreading the stink of their rottenness to the other programs.

The only way to counteract it is to invite a quality program like UConn to your league. Why? Because we've been there and coexisted with Rutgers and Boston College. We know how to deal with them. We can cancel out what damage those schools to do their leagues. It would be even better to just kick out those schools and invite UConn, but if they aren't going to do that, this is the next best thing.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
The only way to counteract it is to invite a quality program like UConn to your league. Why? Because we've been there and coexisted with Rutgers and Boston College. We know how to deal with them. We can cancel out what damage those schools to do their leagues. It would be even better to just kick those schools and invite UConn, but if they aren't going to do that, this is the next best thing.

This is genius.

Your conference just drank poison. We're the bromide.

Reaction Score
If you go back 25 years the B1G has won only 1 National Championship in hoops - MSU in 2000. That is pretty darn pathetic for a "big time" conference.

In that same timeframe, they lead in Final Four appearances if memory serves me correctly.

Judging an entire league by what happens in a 63 (now 67) game tournament out of a sample of over 5,000 games in a college basketball season seems a bit narrow.

Too much emphasis is put on the tournament in terms of judging quality. It's simply not a big enough sample to critique the quality of a team or league.

Reaction Score

Did it ever occur to you that if we wanted or needed you to explain things to us, we would have asked you? I didn't think so.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
In that same timeframe, they lead in Final Four appearances if memory serves me correctly.

Judging an entire league by what happens in a 63 (now 67) game tournament out of a sample of over 5,000 games in a college basketball season seems a bit narrow.

Too much emphasis is put on the tournament in terms of judging quality. It's simply not a big enough sample to critique the quality of a team or league.

Like it or not that is how it is. Programs and conferences are judged by how they do in March. Elite programs and conferences are judged by how many championships they have won. Pro sports is the same. The Atlanta Braves are looked at as kind of a disappointment because they had so much talent, made it to the postseason all the time and won 1 ring. The Bills with their 4 consecutive trips to the Super Bowl with no rings, Dan Marino being a great QB but people will say "no ring", Sergio Garcia being a really good player but never winning a major, and on and on. The more times the B1G gets to the Final Four without a program winning it the bigger the story will be about the conference drought.

Reaction Score
Like it or not that is how it is. Programs and conferences are judged by how they do in March. Elite programs and conferences are judged by how many championships they have won. Pro sports is the same. The Atlanta Braves are looked at as kind of a disappointment because they had so much talent, made it to the postseason all the time and won 1 ring. The Bills with their 4 consecutive trips to the Super Bowl with no rings, Dan Marino being a great QB but people will say "no ring", Sergio Garcia being a really good player but never winning a major, and on and on. The more times the B1G gets to the Final Four without a program winning it the bigger the story will be about the conference drought.

It doesn't make it right. I'm aware that's what happens, but it isn't very prudent.

Statistically speaking, if we're truly interested in debating who the best team(s) or league(s) are, it's not a good idea to use the tournament. You'd want to use the regular season and tournament. You'd ideally want the entire season's sample used. I saw an article from Nate Silver the other day on the subject of professional sports and regular season samples and he stated that for basketball, crowning a true champion would require at least 30 games played for each team.

So yeah, relying on a sample in a tournament where a team plays no more than six and a league plays around 15-20 isn't very smart if we're debating qualitative strength.

Reaction Score
Soon you will see Big Ten teams fleeing for the Big 12. .

I'm trying to think of a single Big 10 school, or its teams fanbases, that wants to leave the BIG for the B12, but I can't come up with a single school. As for the schools themselves, financially its a wash, as both leagues schools are guaranteed between 26-27 mill payouts each year. With heavy duty exit fees now in place, no school is going to make what is at best a financial lateral move. So I'm not sure how your crystal ball here will soon be showing" Big 10 teams fleeing for the Big 12 ". But time will tell, and maybe you'll be proven right here, who knows.

Reaction Score
I'm trying to think of a single Big 10 school, or its teams fanbases, that wants to leave the BIG for the B12, but I can't come up with a single school. As for the schools themselves, financially its a wash, as both leagues schools are guaranteed between 26-27 mill payouts each year. With heavy duty exit fees now in place, no school is going to make what is at best a financial lateral move. So I'm not sure how your crystal ball here will soon be showing" Big 10 teams fleeing for the Big 12 ". But time will tell, and maybe you'll be proven right here, who knows.
Are you really that stupid?

Reaction Score

Do we need an actor to do a reading for you to see the humor?

Reaction Score
Gentlemen, please, let's try to pull ourselves together. There are actually some people on here trying to defend the attributes Rutgers brings to a league. That's not appropriate.

Let me explain a little about what I like to call my "bad apple" theory of conference realignment. When you invite a bad apple into your conference, it ruins the league. This is what has happened with Rutgers to the Big Ten. That move is going to totally destroy the Big Ten. The same thing happened with Boston College to the ACC. Now look at them.

What's that you say? Won't the Big Ten be able to elevate the Rutgers program at least somewhat so maybe they are at the Northwestern level of athletic prominence, or at the very least not destroy the rest of the Big Ten schools? No. That's just how bad Rutgers is. They are going to completely destroy every other program. Soon you will see Big Ten teams fleeing for the Big 12. To which Rutgers will respond "Hey guys, where are you all going? What's the problem?" Just look at the shenanigans that have been going on there at Rutgers since they were invited. They're not even really members yet. Just think how bad it will be once they are truly in the league, spreading the stink of their rottenness to the other programs.

The only way to counteract it is to invite a quality program like UConn to your league. Why? Because we've been there and coexisted with Rutgers and Boston College. We know how to deal with them. We can cancel out what damage those schools to do their leagues. It would be even better to just kick out those schools and invite UConn, but if they aren't going to do that, this is the next best thing.

LOL. Well played. After a decade, Boston College had contributed well in the ACC with out damage, but I agree that we need UConn to come to so that UConn could teach them a lesson or two in basketball and get a New England rivalry going again like you had before.

Reaction Score
He's being facetious, starting with his take on Rutgers as a poison addition to the BeeOneGee. It's part of his way to make the case that UConn fans are not as intensely defensive of Rutgers as they seem to me to be.

Reaction Score
I don't visit any other Big Ten boards other than Penn State. I started visiting theirs when UVA played Penn State in football in 2012. I have a good idea of what they think.

Are you... Ok?

We've lost a number of good people that way (BWI?). My advice; quit now. And get help if needed, before it's too late.

Reaction Score
Why? Those symbols are two letters and a number and everyone knows how to pronounce them. Surely they have them at En Dee.
That's my point. B is pronounced "bee." 1 is pronounced "one." G is pronounced 'gee.'

Bee One Gee. I'm just making certain people don't mispronounce it as 'big,' which semi-literates are prone to do. Funny that all BeeOneGee fans seem to pronounce that number as if it were a letter.

And yes, ND is pronounced 'en dee.' We all know how to pronounce it.

Reaction Score
That's my point. B is pronounced "bee." 1 is pronounced "one." G is pronounced 'gee.'

Bee One Gee. I'm just making certain people don't mispronounce it as 'big,' which semi-literates are prone to do. Funny that all BeeOneGee fans seem to pronounce that number as if it were a letter.

And yes, en dee is pronounced 'en dee.' We all know how to pronounce it.

Why do you care how people pronounce it? Everyone knows who you are talking about.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom