Looking way ahead to 2016-17 | The Boneyard

Looking way ahead to 2016-17

Status
Not open for further replies.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
With Loyd departed, I don't think anyone can pose a reasonable threat to UCONN in 2015-16. Looking forward, who can match up with UCONN in 2016-17? Here are my top 5 non-UCONN teams to look out for:

1. Notre Dame-They will be LOADED in 2016-17. They will have all three posts who were in the rotation this year, Lindsey Allen as a senior, their loaded 2014 class and at least 2 top 10 kids from 2016. Turner could be a POY candidate if she develops more offensively.

2. Baylor-Another team that will be absolutely stacked. Nina Davis, Alexis Jones, pretty much all of their guards/wings excluding Niya Johnson should be back for 2016-17. Not to mention, their 2 talented incoming freshmen will have a year of experience under their belts and should be able to make a big impact for Baylor.

3. Duke-I hate to put Duke here because Coach P does less with more better than anyone, but Duke will have Greenwell, Stevens, Chidom, Salvadores and Kyra Lambert in 2016-17. Stevens and Greenwell were outstanding as freshmen, Chidom showed great athleticism and ability to finish inside, on paper they'll be great once again.

4. South Carolina-They'll have the post duo of A'ja Wilson and Alaina Coates. They lose Mitchell, which is huge. That said, Coates/Wilson make a devastating tandem inside and they will be upperclassmen.

5. Maryland-Lexie Brown, Brionna Jones, and Walker-Kimbrough will all be seniors. Frese consistently does well with top 30-40 kids and has 2 more top 25 recruits coming on board next year. With back to back Final Fours in hand, Maryland might be poised to make their 4th straight Final Four next year.

HM: Tennessee-We'll see how the DeShields effect rocks Knoxville. She could be just what they needed to bring Tennessee from being a perennial Elite 8 team to a Final Four team. Russell is also a huge question mark, but Tennessee will have one of their more experienced teams in 2016-17.

Florida State-I think FSU is here to stay. They have Romero, Slaughter and Thomas all on board, plus Semrau is one of the more underrated coaches in the nation.

Ohio State-Kelsey Mitchell is special. I think she'll make a Final Four before her career is over. She'll also probably break Stiles scoring record if she stays healthy.

Texas-Not sold on the coach yet, but Texas has back to back strong classes and is set up to bring in potentially a monster class in 2016 if they can land some of the top in state prospects.

Reaction Score
Dayton? They are a young team with good potential ...

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
On paper, I'd put Tennessee ahead of Maryland and South Carolina. I think Louisville has a shot to crack this list as well. Lot of heavy competition for UConn the next few years. People who complain about UConn's influx of talent should remember that.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Probably should include Ohio State in that grouping of dangerous teams.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Dayton? They are a young team with good potential ...
Dayton has good coaching and the kids do play hard and smart but the Flyers need a couple top level players. I think Dayton and USF are pretty similar teams in terms of what they've accomplished with the players they have.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Its still going to come down to defense and who can stop who. UConn has an amazin freshman class this season. Dangerfield coming in will be terrific too. From what Im hearing the next recruiting class has a couple of bigs who want to play for UConn. Does Geno want them? Will they come? Well I think UConn picks up a couple of more good ones. Still IMO with Texas, Baylor and A&M loaded so where does Cox go? For those reasons I have to think UConn has a better chance then if those Texas teams didn't have so many big? Just something to consider. If UConn didn't have a good chance then Geno wouldn't be pursuing Cox as hard as he is.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
If UConn didn't have a good chance then Geno wouldn't be pursuing Cox as hard as he is.

Don't all the schools left technically have a good chance with Cox? In fact, of the six remaining UConn is one of two she hasn't visited yet. I'm still holding out hope but I don't see any particular signs that she's leaning towards or away from any school on her list.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Don't all the schools left technically have a good chance with Cox? In fact, of the six remaining UConn is one of two she hasn't visited yet. I'm still holding out hope but I don't see any particular signs that she's leaning towards or away from any school on her list.
Maybe. She has made some unofficial visits and schedule some others. Tennessee for example is over the summer. I believe her time frame for a decision is early fall. So the maybe part is if you are a school and she has not scheduled a visit you may take that as a bad sign. Maybe the visits were scheduled but not announced....all tea leaves at this point.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
I believe her time frame for a decision is early fall.

I believe she's taking her visits in the fall, I don't think she's indicated when she would decide. Odds are that it will be prior to the early signing period in November, but she might also wait like Wilson did.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I believe she's taking her visits in the fall, I don't think she's indicated when she would decide. Odds are that it will be prior to the early signing period in November, but she might also wait like Wilson did.
The only schools still on her list that she has not visited or scheduled a visit to are UCONN and South Carolina.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
The only schools still on her list that she has not visited or scheduled a visit to are UCONN and South Carolina.

Yes, but those were unofficial visits. She has yet to take her official ones which according to her father she will in the fall.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Well I don't think UConn has anything to prove. Their numbers and accomplishments speak for itself. They are the dynasty and no other team comes close. Will UConn become weaker when Breanna and MoJeff graduate? We don't know that? Will are next 2 classes be just as powerful? The bottom line is UConn is a team and plays team ball. They are disciplined like the Marines. Its not about the talent other teams have, because there is a lot of talent out there. Its about the development of the players and development of the team. UConn is developed light years ahead of their opponents. Could UConn lose? Yes. Just look at the Stanford game. People are still saying how did they lose that game....not how did Stanford win it. Big Big Difference. So what does the future hold for UConn. Well as far as Im concerned a lot more NCs. Its going to take every other team a long time to catch up to UConn. UConn may not win every game by double digits in the future but I wouldn't bet against it. I said it last season with Wilson or Turner or without UConn would continue to win the NC and they did and they will again this season. So if Cox comes great and if she doesn't good luck to her because imo she will most likely never win a NC but UConn will. Think about it. Wilson and Turner are great players and they may never win a NC because they didn't come to UConn? Pretty strong words but right now they look pretty much on. So bottom line. Cox hasn't visited SC or UConn. Will she? I guess we will have to wait and see.

Reaction Score
I would be very happy, but extremely surprised if Cox ended up at UCONN. My best guess is that UCONN will land another top 10 player in the 2016 class and it will probably be McCoy.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Well if not Cox then Im looking at McCoy and who is in 2017.

Reaction Score
I still see UConn as the team to beat but certainly more beatable than they will be next year. (Not that we can't lose next year but it will have to be injuries or someone else's A game against our C game).

After UConn, I think ND and Baylor will be head and shoulders above anyone else.

Reaction Score
If Stewards,, Tuck and Jefferson are all health I don't see any team can beat UConn.
Then plus the super strong Kia, Butler, Gabby, Chong, Ekmark (very few discussions in here)
and the 3 freshmen..

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
If Stewards,, Tuck and Jefferson are all health I don't see any team can beat UConn.
Then plus the super strong Kia, Butler, Gabby, Chong, Ekmark (very few discussions in here)
and the 3 freshmen..

In 2016-17 ?

Reaction Score
I don't think that ND, Baylor, and others will assuredly be head and shoulders over the LV's in 16-17. We will still have a very experienced core of Carter, Reynolds, Cooper, DeShields, Nared, Jones, and Russell, in addition to Middleton, Dunbar, and Jackson (and Tucker if she becomes healthy enough to play) That roster, especially with a year for all of them to gel, plus some freshman posts could absolutely challenge for the Final 4 and the Title.

Reaction Score
All I know is ND is going to be brutally hard. We'll have to see how KLS and NC develop but more than likely Turner will be the best player on the court and they'll have the best pg on the court. And I think Reimer is an underrated very good player. They're big three will be upperclassmen. ND will be a beast in 2016-2017 depending on how good Turner will be.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
ND has to be the favorite for 2016-2017. If ND doesn't win it Muffet will be stomping those stilettos so hard they'll become flats.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom