Looking over the class of 2013 | The Boneyard

Looking over the class of 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

semper

Paleographer
Reaction Score
http://espn.go.com/high-school/girls-basketball/recruiting/rankings/_/class/2013

Is it really usual to have 29 out of 50 not yet verballed? Does the punditry have word on most of the players? I know about the two we still have on the line, hopefully. But some of these highly ranked names have never been mentioned here that I know of...So do you have news/information? And how strange is this year? THANKS!

semper

Paleographer
Reaction Score
I read through the specs of all the top 25 uncommitted looking for ostensible UConn types, and wondered what about this woman:

Rebekah Dahlman

She is about as short as Hartley!

Reaction Score
Hoopgurlz is pretty much non-existent at this point -- ESPN is basically eliminating most high school coverage, and so the folks keeping this site up are volunteers, I'm pretty sure.

Reaction Score
I would think it would be expensive to take most unofficial visits.... unless you are only considering local schools

Reaction Score
I would think it would be expensive to take most unofficial visits.... unless you are only considering local schools
True it can be expensive. Yet some players like Erica McCall from California have made unofficial visits to Uconn. Brianna Turner from Texas was in New York and visited also.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Among unofficial visitors in recent years are Maya Moore (from Georgia), Moriah Jefferson (Texas) and Courtney Ekmark (Arizona).

I believe that Brianna Turner has unofficially visited many schools, nationwide.

Don't forget Kaleena Mosqueda-Lewis, who visited unofficially when her HS team was playing in Springfield, Mass.

semper

Paleographer
Reaction Score
Officially, unofficially, playing in the area...whatever it takes, I wonder if we are looking at more than we know about, and if they looking back.... Does Nan still have her recruiting site up and running?

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Most kids and parents make a number of college visits on their own dime. Only athletes have the option of an expenses paid visit to 5 schools.

Reaction Score
Officially, unofficially, playing in the area...whatever it takes, I wonder if we are looking at more than we know about, and if they looking back.... Does Nan still have her recruiting site up and running?

Yes, she does! Concerning the 2013 class, as far as I know UCONN is only recruiting McCall, Chong, and Harper. It would be nice if there was a surprise 2013 recruit. Eight players for the 2013-2014 year is cutting it a little to close.

semper

Paleographer
Reaction Score
Yeah, I agree. But the question remains, why? I know all the old saws about UCONN bball, etc., etc. til I can't take it any more. But there are some amazing kids out there. I don't want a 1 or 0 class again...sweating bullets with no choices from the bench. Been there.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Yeah, I agree. But the question remains, why? I know all the old saws about UCONN bball, etc., etc. til I can't take it any more. But there are some amazing kids out there. I don't want a 1 or 0 class again...sweating bullets with no choices from the bench. Been there.
I don't think anyone wants a 1 person class including the coaching staff, but 1 or 0 is probably preferable to a class of 4 with 2 ending up transferring as that can be even more distructive to team chemistry and planning in future years.
It is a two way street, and the demands of any college program are such that tepid enthusiasm for a program is not a good starting point.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
I think the kids on the roster, even if it were just eight of them, are good enough to win a national championship going away in 2013-14. The risk is what happens if someone gets injured before or during the tourney. But it's not like 2010-11 where the rotation consisted of one transcendent player, two freshmen, a somewhat erratic junior, a reliably good but not spectacular sophomore, and an undersized senior bench player. We'd be talking about eight kids who can all go. All with significant experience.

2014-15 would be more of a concern.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32