Livr from New York, it's Saturday Night!! | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Livr from New York, it's Saturday Night!!

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Baseball/Football is funny and brilliant. Meh? Don't think so.
Waq...that performance was meh. The bit was perfected and is brilliant. Not that night, tho.

Reaction Score
The Eddie Murphy appearance looked like he had a gun to his head. I don't think he prepared anything at all. I thought Adam Sandler has a somewhat similar career trajectory as Murphy, rumored bad blood with Lorne, and he delivered a couple of funny bits for the special.
Interesting point. They are pretty similar with Murphy spiking much higher with better films (funny and good movies while Sandler's best were mostly pure farce), but then both plateauing and producing un-watchable movie after movie. Both ultimately veered into the funny for little kids movie-mode (has Murphy been funny in 2000's without being animated?) and got stuck there.

Another guy with a similar trajectory is Chevy Chase. Him and Murphy seem a lot more personally similar in that their enormous egos grew un-checked and that's what ultimately made them stop being funny. And coincidentally Chevy Chase's appearance on SNL 40 was also a dud, although he looks like he is really ill.

Reaction Score
Not to get too deep, but my psychoanalysis of Murphy is that on SNL he had an innocence and insecurity that allowed the audience to be 'in' on the joke with him. Now somehow he's both bitter and extremely successful, partially because he knows his ego prevented and continues to hinder his comedy and ability to fulfill his vast potential (contrast with Bill Murray who is still willing to completely give himself to the audience and a 'bit' and is unafraid to fail). Murray could have done one-minute as any of innumerous characters but he's unwilling to give himself to the audience because somehow he holds the audience responsible for trapping him in his $ success but creatively blah career of voice-rolls or farce comedies. The Spade "fallen star" joke still hurts because it is still true.

Reaction Score
Not to get too deep, but my psychoanalysis of Murphy is that on SNL he had an innocence and insecurity that allowed the audience to be 'in' on the joke with him. Now somehow he's both bitter and extremely successful, partially because he knows his ego prevented and continues to hinder his comedy and ability to fulfill his vast potential (contrast with Bill Murray who is still willing to completely give himself to the audience and a 'bit' and is unafraid to fail). Murray could have done one-minute as any of innumerous characters but he's unwilling to give himself to the audience because somehow he holds the audience responsible for trapping him in his $ success but creatively blah career of voice-rolls or farce comedies. The Spade "fallen star" joke still hurts because it is still true.
Meant Murphy not Murray unwilling to do a character like Buckwheat (should have been in RIP montage, Raheem Abdul Muhammed, James Brown, Mr. Robinson, Stevie Wonder, Michael Jackson, Velvet Jones and on & on).

Reaction Score
I love that skit "The Californians". I think I might be the only one that does other than the actors.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I'm sure the All-Star Game was crushed in the ratings.
SNL40 23.1 Mil (Network)
Walking Dead 12.3 Mil (Cable)
CSI 7.1 Mil (Network)
The Bachelor 6.0 Mil (Network)
NBA All Star 5.9 Mil (Cable)
Talking Dead 5.0 Mil (Cable)

SNL crushed everyone.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
I love that skit "The Californians". I think I might be the only one that does other than the actors.
Nope. I always liked it. Its epicness is because of its length. If it was short it would not make sense.

JaYnYcE

Soul Brother
Reaction Score
Lookit, I don't think Cosby was the thing for Eddie to do simply because the entire thing is sad and not funny. But Yes, way to go Eddie Murphy- congrats for not kicking the serial rapist when he's down and then getting on stage and being too smug to do even one joke.

He has a lot of respect for Bill Cosby and has gone on record in saying that he and Pryor were big influences on his career. How Cosby in his opinion was the greatest story teller in comedy.

not to derail this happy thread, when was Cosby convicted of being a serial rapist? Eddie doesn't owe anything to Lorne Michaels or SNL. He earned his opportunity to get on that show, carried that show and branched off to become the highest (or at one time, the highest) grossing actors of all time. His legacy is all of the comedians that came after him who said that he was a big influence on why they became comedians.

Reaction Score
He has a lot of respect for Bill Cosby and has gone on record in saying that he and Pryor were big influences on his career. How Cosby in his opinion was the greatest story teller in comedy.

not to derail this happy thread, when was Cosby convicted of being a serial rapist? Eddie doesn't owe anything to Lorne Michaels or SNL. He earned his opportunity to get on that show, carried that show and branched off to become the highest (or at one time, the highest) grossing actors of all time. His legacy is all of the comedians that came after him who said that he was a big influence on why they became comedians.
Tiger wasn't convicted of being a 'player' either, but 20+ women all telling similar stories is a preponderance of evidence, buying off some of them when charges were possible, etc.. The fact that the Cos used his celebrity to exploit women undermines his accomplishments. Eddie's response to stay mum on the issue is the correct one, but defending Bill Cosby is naïve-to-flat-out-denial.

Reaction Score
Nope. I always liked it. Its epicness is because of its length. If it was short it would not make sense.

Agreed. I think it also had to do with the fact that the actors were often struggling to not lose it in the middle of that sketch.

JaYnYcE

Soul Brother
Reaction Score
Tiger wasn't convicted of being a 'player' either, but 20+ women all telling similar stories is a preponderance of evidence, buying off some of them when charges were possible, etc.. The fact that the Cos used his celebrity to exploit women undermines his accomplishments. Eddie's response to stay mum on the issue is the correct one, but defending Bill Cosby is naïve-to-flat-out-denial.

You're defaming Cosby's character and he hasn't even had his day in court. There's no point in discussing this any further. You are free to believe what you choose to believe.

Reaction Score
You're defaming Cosby's character and he hasn't even had his day in court. There's no point in discussing this any further. You are free to believe what you choose to believe.

Puuuuuuuh-lease.

Reaction Score
Ah the classic I'm not going to argue after you make your point. Cosby has had multiple days in court and he paid up and gave hush money multiple times. It's precisely 34 women and counting defaming him. TempleU and the USNavy have seen enough to revoke Cosby's titles/role. Bill Cosby drugs women and pleasures himself on helpless possibly sleeping women and it is freakin disgusting. Bill Cosby is a rapist.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom