Little things | The Boneyard

Little things

Reaction Score
While it was great to see the ball going in the basket for once yesterday, what stood out to me were a couple of little things. Specifically, on two fast breaks, I saw unselfish play (one from Purvis, one from Vital) that ended up in a dunk off a pass rather than a contested, out of control layup being taken. Also, Brimah boxed out extremely well which led directly to a couple of fouls on Fall. We've all been complaining about the low BBIQ this team has, and while it's way too soon to call it a trend, there were some very encouraging signs yesterday beyond just shooting better. Hopefully this carries over.

Reaction Score
It they could just play like that every game. What stood out to me was the quickness of the ball movement and the amount of motion in the offense. Not the usual dribbling and standing around.

Reaction Score
It they could just play like that every game. What stood out to me was the quickness of the ball movement and the amount of motion in the offense. Not the usual dribbling and standing around.

yes, and not just creativity, but smart creativity. It was a fun game to be at.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
I guess maybe KO does do some things in practice, much to the surprise of some KO bashers
And before anyone says, it was only UCF - check out the NCAA stats on team defense
UCF beat Temple and lost to Nova by 10 but the game was closer than that with 2 minutes remaining

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
I must be in a different universe than you. The movement of the ball has not been a problem most of this season. It was much bigger problem in the championship season imo. The problem has been the degree of missing wide open shots. By everyone.

Reaction Score
I must be in a different universe than you. The movement of the ball has not been a problem most of this season. It was much bigger problem in the championship season imo. The problem has been the degree of missing wide open shots. By everyone.
I would agree the amount of shots missed this season has been tough to watch, but I'd say shot selection has a lot to do with that. I would agree with King Husky that ball movement was impressive yesterday. It seemed to move with purpose and much better shots were taken, and the score showed.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
I would agree the amount of shots missed this season has been tough to watch, but I'd say shot selection has a lot to do with that. I would agree with King Husky that ball movement was impressive yesterday. It seemed to move with purpose and much better shots were taken, and the score showed.
It's hard to remove our bias watching games. Loved that Doug sang happy birthday on Jalen's shot. It was a poor choice to penetrate as deeply and he bailed himself out by making it.

Every game players kicked out shots to wide open perimeter player who ended up missing them. That allowed teams to pack the interior. This game was only the second game the players made shots from the perimeter that caused the opposing team to change from zone and go man to man.

BB is like everything else. It's only as good as it's weakest link. Once UCF had to play the perimeter, the inside game opens up. And once the inside opens up the passing looks better. What I will say was a significant improvement was the way Brimah was setting picks and moving toward the basket. The Brimah that played in this game is the Brimah that has to show up at the AAC tournament.

Reaction Score

Sure, making shots was the biggest and most impactful difference yesterday. But there was a sense of freedom in the offense that I haven't seen all year. The spacing was better and everyone was decisive and deliberate with their actions, whether shooting, dribbling, or passing. It seems like our guys usually overthink the offense, running through the play and all of its options for the duration of the shot clock, without actually taking advantage of the opening to make a scoring play. Yesterday that wasn't the case, the ball moved quickly and gracefully, and the open man took advantage.

Reaction Score
It's hard to remove our bias watching games. Loved that Doug sang happy birthday on Jalen's shot. It was a poor choice to penetrate as deeply and he bailed himself out by making it.

Every game players kicked out shots to wide open perimeter player who ended up missing them. That allowed teams to pack the interior. This game was only the second game the players made shots from the perimeter that caused the opposing team to change from zone and go man to man.

BB is like everything else. It's only as good as it's weakest link. Once UCF had to play the perimeter, the inside game opens up. And once the inside opens up the passing looks better. What I will say was a significant improvement was the way Brimah was setting picks and moving toward the basket. The Brimah that played in this game is the Brimah that has to show up at the AAC tournament.

Many of the shots Jalen takes feel like risky shots to me. I am always like, "Oh no, don't take that. Wow, it went in!!"

ctchamps

Reaction Score
Sure, making shots was the biggest and most impactful difference yesterday. But there was a sense of freedom in the offense that I haven't seen all year. The spacing was better and everyone was decisive and deliberate with their actions, whether shooting, dribbling, or passing. It seems like our guys usually overthink the offense, running through the play and all of its options for the duration of the shot clock, without actually taking advantage of the opening to make a scoring play. Yesterday that wasn't the case, the ball moved quickly and gracefully, and the open man took advantage.
Once the perimeter (Rodney) started making shots the complexion of the game changed. First it forced the defense to move out to the perimeter. Second, it took pressure off the young players. Third, it put fear in the UCF players. It was a positive cycle that we have not seen this season and it's that cycle that I feel helped in putting the things you elaborate on into effect.

I disagree with a lot of posters about this team lacking bb IQ. At least my definition of IQ. Outside of Brimah these kids know the game. The mistakes they make are emotional not intellectual. Would I like them to be more stoic? Certainly. But I'd in my pants if I were asked to provide the type of production some of us demand. And I'd wager the majority of people moaning the most would struggle as well. Heck if people can't get a grip sitting in chairs it's highly doubtful they could play under the conditions these kids play under.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Many of the shots Jalen takes feel like risky shots to me. I am always like, "Oh no, don't take that. Wow, it went in!!"

That was pretty much Shabazz's career in a nutshell. "Oh No...No...Good shot! keep shooting!"

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
That was pretty much Shabazz's career in a nutshell. "Oh No...No...Good shot! keep shooting!"

Eventually I was like, "Yeah, why don't you dribble for 10 seconds and throw up a 25-footer to beat the shot clock!" It's nice when you have guys who make shots, isn't it?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom