Lion's make playoffs..Edsall to split time between Lions/UConn | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Lion's make playoffs..Edsall to split time between Lions/UConn

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
It looks like you have inhaled a little to much smoke to think we have hired another god for a coach. Too many blind fans on this board especially some off you diehards! I'm willing to give him a chance but i am not accepting him with open arms as you have.

K

Reaction Score
There are pros and cons to this, but in the end I think the pros outweigh the cons.

Reaction Score
It looks like you have inhaled a little to much smoke to think we have hired another god for a coach. Too many blind fans on this board especially some off you diehards! I'm willing to give him a chance but i am not accepting him with open arms as you have.
FDNY99 didn't accept him with open arms. Are we being a little judgemental here?

Reaction Score
I don't get it. Was he really irreplaceable or in an imperative position? He was in something like "research"? Nobody else can step up and take over there?

Reaction Score
Just found this on Coaching Search:
UConn: Detroit Lions head coach Jim Caldwell says Randy Edsall intends to split time between the Lions and UConn until the Lions season is over. That could end Sunday, or it could end in the Super Bowl if the Lions make the playoffs. Edsall is the Lions' director of football research.

He will be relying on his staff recruiting wise and Balis for S&C.
Balis is staying on board?

Reaction Score
You should go read some of my other posts...I am by far from accepting with open arms and think he is a god! He is what he is...a guy who has his warts, gets his kids well prepared to play and gets them to play hard...and he also knows this program and fan base better than anyone else. I have sat through the last 6 disastrous seasons when a lot of others have bailed...I can thank my wife for telling me we are keeping our tickets and supporting the program and the kids the other day after Edsall's hiring was announced. So I'll be making the trek north in the fall on Saturdays for season 14 at the Rent!

Last edited:

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
At the press conference, Edsall said he was flying back to Detroit to help the Lions make the playoffs. I assumed he would leave their employ after tonight's game. That sucks if he officially starts at UCONN tomorrow and is still with Detroit. They're not going far in the playoffs anyway. He needs to focus on his UCONN responsibilities. I'm sure the Lions aren't paying him $1 million per year for what he's doing for them.

Reaction Score
Look, I didn't do it on the college or pro level (which I think we can all agree is probably much more involved), but breaking down and evaluating film is a very involved process. It's time consuming and it's a huge part of, not only, game planning but also player evaluation, position meetings, practice plan, scout team execution, game preparation, and in-game adjustments. It's clearly something that Edsall is good at and he's someone Caldwell trusts in the position. Although Edsall's not on the sideline, he's a valuable part of the Lions success this season. Is he replaceable? Sure, but at this stage as a head coach, you're not going to hope or trust someone else can fill Edsall's shoes. Is it a glorified position? No, but it's as important as any position on a staff (if not more so). A head coach is only as good as the staff he surrounds himself with. Haven't we learned that yet?

I would also believe that this was discussed with Benedict, agreed upon, and part of his contract.

Reaction Score
It's not ideal for sure. It's imperative he gets his staff at UConn in order, so as long as that's done very soon it's not a disaster. His job with the Lions is one that certainly can be done at least in part from a remote location. He's involved in scouting and game planning, so it's not something that requires him to be at practice every day. He can watch game film on an airplane, in a hotel room, in his office at UConn, in Detroit, anywhere. It's good to see him honoring his commitment and it's not an entirely disastrous situation if he gets his staff in order, but it's also far from ideal.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
Has Diaco been terminated yet? It is now 1/2/17.

Was it effective as of 12:00 a.m. or 11:59 p.m.? If the former, we are free at last, free at last, thank God almighty, we are free at last! :D

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
His UConn contract start date is January 3rd...
And this one day difference matters how? My point was he should help them get to the playoffs, not stay with them into the playoffs.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
He's not just a director of research...but special projects as well.

Randy Edsall hired as Lions' director of football research

You would think with a week left in the season he would be dispensable since the new job he has is a pretty big deal. But...it happened so fast that perhaps it is tough to just walk away cold turkey. He basically is honoring a 2 weeks notice policy.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
So what happens if the Lions go on an improbable run? Are they paying Randy 1 million per year to break down film?

Bonehead

'Ollie North of the Cesspool'
Reaction Score
So what happens if the Lions go on an improbable run? Are they paying Randy 1 million per year to break down film?
He splits time and delegates responsibilities as needed.

Yes they are - film breakdown is vital.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jjblox