Lin Dunn: UConn Bad for the Game | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Lin Dunn: UConn Bad for the Game

Status
Not open for further replies.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
In no way was I picking on UCONN. I enjoy watching UCONN because I enjoy seeing the game played so masterfully. And KBAZ, you interpreted my comments exactly as they were intended. UCONN is not bad for the game, but the results may be bad for the game as it causes some to lose interest. The same can be said for several other teams, until they play UCONN. Duke beat USC Upstate 123-40. Seriously, what average fan is going to tune in to watch an 83 point drubbing?

Oh... you did say an average fan :p

As far as my team goes.... I like watching the blowouts this season because it gives me the chance to watch our freshman twin towers learn on the job. I will say that I wouldnt drive an hour to watch the game. especially when i can watch it on my laptop for free.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
The rule is for men and women, so I don't think so.

Are the new rules that concern hand-checking the "Griner Effect"? Since Louisville beat Baylor the way they did.

Are the new rules that concern hand-checking the "Griner Effect"? Since Louisville beat Baylor the way they did.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score

No, they are about increasing movement for the players moving through the lane. It is about increasing offensive flow in both the men's and women's game and eliminating the holding and obstruction.

semper

Paleographer
Reaction Score
No, they are about increasing movement for the players moving through the lane. It is about increasing offensive flow in both the men's and women's game and eliminating the holding and obstruction.
And that is to the good. Will make the game more aesthetically pleasing.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Geno is one of the most brilliant basketball minds in basketball coaching history. Maybe every university should run out and find one of those to run their program. It can't be THAT hard.

There is a reason that Pat and Geno have 8 titles each...they are just better than the rest and until Geno retires the rest of women's basketball just needs to accept the fact that UCONN will win the lions' share of the championships.

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
I don't get this move, unless there's a whole lot of something going on in the background. On the surface, it feels like the NFL/NBA system on retreads, where you know there are qualified younger assistants, and then the team hires someone that didn't do well in another place.

Reaction Score
the best Coach and staff live in Storrs...their teams are better prepared physical and mentally to compete head to head...if you don't like Uconn and their winning beat them or choose another sport to play...Baylor had Griner and Sims and one 1 championship in the time they were together...talent is not enough...the gap between ND and Baylor and South Carolina the last 4 years was every bit as much about coaching as it was talent...

Reaction Score
I have never known Geno to refuse a team the opportunity to attend a practice and to watch what UCONN does. Geno to the best of my knowledge has been very generous in that manner.

That is not to say that Geno holds every practice as an open practice.

does not matter if you know what Uconn will do on the court, the problem is stopping it, they simply play at a different level because they play as a team, no egos...Stewart plays anywhere else in the country she scores 35 and gets 20 rebounds a game...instead of those stats she settled for 4 rings...just saying

Reaction Score
It isn't so much "what" they do in practice as it is "how" they practice. I've read that the drills they run are nothing others aren't doing. It's the effort and energy that the coaches demand that is the difference. Not only does it result in better execution than their opponents but it also conditions their players to enable them to expend more energy for longer stretches. In most games I watch UConn's opponents stay with them for a while but at some point they tire and UConn doesn't. Two hour practices that are conducted at top speed and effort is the reason.

Most teams don't have the luxury of recruiting players for both effort and talent.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Alydar - so true, but it is also the effort and intensity of the coaching staff. They are relentless and vigilant - correcting everything all the time and pushing the players to correct themselves. That is exhausting at times for the coaches, not just the players. Too many coaches while running the exact same drills do not see what is being done wrong or are too lazy some of the time to bother correcting the minutia of things that Uconn coaches harp on. And some may see what is wrong but have no idea how to correct it or to teach it.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Alydar - so true, but it is also the effort and intensity of the coaching staff. They are relentless and vigilant - correcting everything all the time and pushing the players to correct themselves. That is exhausting at times for the coaches, not just the players. Too many coaches while running the exact same drills do not see what is being done wrong or are too lazy some of the time to bother correcting the minutia of things that Uconn coaches harp on. And some may see what is wrong but have no idea how to correct it or to teach it.
I think the hardest thing in coaching is seeing a recruit, realizing their true potential, then knowing how hard to push that player to achieve that potential. All good coaches know the brass tacks. The X's and O's. It takes a true genius program to consistently get grade A talent to overachieve. That is The UConn way.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
However, there is a major downside. As the father of a loving, trying autistic son who also has muscle tone issues and cognitive challenges, I've seen the joy of receiving a trophy that he would have no way of even competing for with typical kids. I also saw how receiving a trophy helped increase his understanding of both receiving and giving recognition for performance. He has grown from being somewhat indifferent about getting trophies to proudly reading each new one he receives aloud, while beaming, to my wife and I. He participates in special-needs baseball, basketball, fall soccer, spring soccer and bowling – that's a lot of trophies every year. And that leads to the downside ... every week or two my wife "reminds" me that it's almost time to build trophy shelves in his room, as available space is running out on top of his dresser and chest. And that's an assignment I can't find a way to weasel myself out of.
I've used these over the years. They are an easy fix that looks pretty good.
0f444635-bdd7-4b2a-9bfc-be7341b40021_400.jpg

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
No, I probably would have still made the post, but perhaps the title would be different. Lin is a person of note in WBB.

Agreed. Lin has been involved in women's basketball at various levels for 46 years. She definitely knows her way around the game of basketball. Here's a brief synopsis of Dunn's career for those not familiar with the details of her coaching history from Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

Lin Dunn (born May 10, 1947 - 69 years old) is an American women's basketball coach, currently an assistant with the University of Kentucky women's basketball program. She is most known for being the first coach and general manager for the Seattle Storm. She has more than 500 wins to her name.

The 1969 University of Tennessee at Martin graduate coached for decades in the college ranks, amassing a 447-257 record in 25 seasons as a college head coach. In her tenure at Austin Peay State University (1970–1976), the University of Mississippi (1977–1978), the University of Miami (1978–1987) and Purdue University (1987–1996), she made the NCAA Women's Division I Basketball Championship seven times, and the Final Four once, in 1994 with Purdue. She is in the Athletics Hall of Fame at both Austin Peay and Miami. Dunn also was president of the Women's Basketball Coaches Association in 1984-85.

Dunn was abruptly fired at Purdue after the 1995-96 season, but resurfaced in the pros with the American Basketball League's Portland Power in 1996. She was ABL's coach of the year in 1998, right before that league folded. Dunn then became the first coach and GM of the expansion Seattle Storm in the ABL's rival, the WNBA. Her folksy southern personality was a hit in Urbane, Seattle, with fans often wearing Dunn masks and quoting her rustic aphorisms. The team started with a dismal 6-26 season.

Dunn left the Storm just as it was starting to have success. New superstars Lauren Jackson and Sue Bird led the team to the 2002 playoffs, where they were swept by the Los Angeles Sparks. Dunn then resigned, leaving the path open for Anne Donovan to build a championship team just two seasons later. Dunn is a former head coach of the Indiana Fever. Dunn won the WNBA championship with the Fever on October 21, 2012.

On May 6, 2014, Dunn announced her retirement from coaching at the end of the year.

On June 14, 2014; Dunn was inducted into the Women's Basketball Hall of Fame.

On May 24, 2016, (TODAY) she was introduced as an assistant coach for Matthew Mitchell at Kentucky. No doubt a "damage control" move to stop the bleeding, the exodus of players, and to begin to restore some semblance of credibility and integrity to the program.

I knew of Dunn, and her credentials BEFORE this story broke. Given her background and experience, I never would have imagined that she would take a position of this nature. Her statement has the ring of "sour grapes". We just finished massaging several similar threads during the season. After UConn won its 4th national championship in a row, the whining and gnashing of teeth continues to grow louder across the country. The dynamics that make UConn basketball what it is has not changed, and won't, as long as Auriemma is at the helm. The final consensus of our debates and discussions was that UConn is not at fault here. The other programs need to come up to UConn's level of preparation, expectation and achievement.

If you can't beat 'em, join 'em. Lobo was correct in saying that other coaches should make an effort to attend a UConn practice session or two. Learn and adopt some of the principles Geno incorporates into his practices. Learn and run the same drills that he uses. Use male practice players like he does. Runs drills continuously, not until you get them right, but until you can't get them wrong. But that would take some effort, and would be too costly, and take too much of their valuable time. Again, I remind those who would whine and complain of the definition of insanity. I think it applies here.

It's much easier to sit back and whine and complain about UConn's dominance because no matter how hard you try, you can't match or copy his preparation techniques (because the ones you're using are not working), you can't beat his team between the lines and you can't come close to matching his overall success. Where's those rattles, baby bottles and diapers? All of this collective whining is starting to give 'ol Carnac a headache. :confused:

Last edited:

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
I noted the reappearance of DoggyDaddy in this thread, not realizing that it's vintage.
Is there any special significance that I'm missing?

Paid non-political commercial:
His daily column would greatly enliven this (whatever it is) group?
It's quite newsworthy and non-controversial.
DD at his best.

Reaction Score
I don't have the energy to reread the whole thread but I doubt Dunn was being critical of UConn. I think she was being critical of everyone else.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom