Lin Dunn: UConn Bad for the Game | The Boneyard

Lin Dunn: UConn Bad for the Game

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Interesting, but I don't think Dunn is saying that UConn is bad for the game, as the thread's headline would suggest. It is the fact that one team -- any team -- dominates without much competition that is troubling, a sentiment that Geno would doubtless endorse.

Reaction Score
Or, how about schools actually take WCBB seriously? Oh that's right, it's because the sport doesn't make money. Everyone knows what kind of program UConn runs by now - there's no secret sauce here other than what's served at Geno's restaurants. If other schools aren't willing to even try, how is that UConn's fault?

ctfjr

Life is short, ride hard
Reaction Score
Did Lin Dunn think that Baylor's recent run was "Not good" for
WCBB? Or, Tennesee's?
Jeff W & Cards might feel slighted

Reaction Score
Interesting, but I don't think Dunn is saying that UConn is bad for the game, as the thread's headline would suggest. It is the fact that one team -- any team -- dominates without much competition that is troubling, a sentiment that Geno would doubtless endorse.

So were the Yankees bad for baseball/ Ali bad for boxing-Green Bay back in the day bad for football- UCLA mens team under Wooden bad for college basketball ?
I too would like to see more parody but let's not blame the standard setter, this is not rocket science . Imitation is the best compliment one can get.Do it !!!!

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Dunn's full of poo, if she meant what she said literally.

Lobo has it right. UCONN and ND are the two premier programs in WCBB right now, in spite of the fact that Duke is the #2 team in the nation right now. ND not only has continues to recruit top players over the past 5-6 years (yeah they were good before that, but lately Muffet really seems to be picking it up), but they also play solid defense, and run offense that complements their strengths.

Additionally, and it was debated here and elsewhere a LOT, the UCONN winning streak was great for WCBB. It put WCBB in the news on a constant basis as UCONN chased, and surpassed, records during that time frame including UCLA's 88 game streak. People even went out and got comments from big names in the sport.

Bill Walton – "They play with great sense of team, great purpose, phenomenal execution of fundamentals, relentless attack," he said. "It is what every team should aspire to, regardless of the sport."

Dwight Clay, the Notre Dame player who hit the winning shot to end the UCLA streak: "Well, I think it's great. It's great for women's basketball and it's great for sports in general...But, you know, what Connecticut has done, you know, I don't believe you can separate that. Eight-eight games is 88 games. That's a hell of a treat."

And there were tons of other comments.

With regards to UCONN's current dominance, it won't last forever, but WCBB is a boutique sport. It's not mainstream like men's sports, or even women's tennis or golf. BUT getting people to talk about it, be aware of it, and eventually maybe start to follow it, is a good thing regardless of how their interest is piqued in the first place.

BTW Bill Walton got it 100% right when he talked about the sense of team, purpose, great fundamentals, etc. It's one thing that makes UCONN so enjoyable to watch even against overmatched opponents.

Phil Sampieri above also got it right - any time you have a team that is a dynasty in a sport (maybe include Woods in there back in the day too), there will be grumblings from others. But those dynasties gave other teams something to chase and aspire to, and in the end forced everyone else to be better to catch up.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
She's right. Remember how bad heavyweight boxing was when Tyson dominated? Boxing is in such a better place now.

Sports are built on three things:
1) Dynasties
2) Great Rivalries
3) Transcend player(s)

A sport better have 2 out of 3 if it wants to grow. Uconn is carrying WCB right now. She should simply say thank you and be on her way.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
So, we have come full cycle.

If you had waited an hour, this thread wouldn't be here.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
I have never known Geno to refuse a team the opportunity to attend a practice and to watch what UCONN does. Geno to the best of my knowledge has been very generous in that manner.

That is not to say that Geno holds every practice as an open practice.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
No, I probably would have still made the post, but perhaps the title would be different. Lin is a person of note in WBB.

So, we have come full cycle.

If you had waited an hour, this thread wouldn't be here.

Reaction Score
I think that Geno has recruited the type of player, who, when they put on the UConn uniform, realize that they are basketball PLAYERS just as much as the guys, not girls who happen to play basketball. It's a mindset that much of the country has yet to adopt. The game is meant to be played a certain way, regardless of who is playing, and Geno teaches that to his players.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
No, I probably would have still made the post, but perhaps the title would be different.
Doubtful. Without the controversy it's not interesting.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Some teams better themselves by banning UConn from their schedules. Then face reality when they can't avoid the oncoming train. We just saw Maryland finally play UConn and D Frese came out looking like a mental midget. Team is good but she faltered.

UConn hasn't won back to back titles in a while. There are teams out there that can compete.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
We've had the discussion before. I think it's a mixed bag. I think UConn's dominance brings some attention to the woman's game that it might not otherwise get. On the flip side it highlights the lack of competition that many fans look for in sports. That's not UConn's fault and it's not UConn's problem.

I agree with Lobo. It's all about the program and how they approach the game. Watch UConn during pre game warmups. Then watch their opponent. I can still remember my thought the first time I noticed the difference.
"These guys are gonna' suck." and they did.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
What is bad for the game is spoiled kids that think they are gods gift to basketball. They are told they are "special", even though they lack fundamentals. They pick a college based on an opportunity to start as a freshman, and college may be the first time they have heard the word no.

Girls (and boys) get participation trophies, and guaranteed playing time when they are young. Then in AAU they play so many games, winning becomes irrelevant . The word sacrifice is foreign to most of them.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
I guess Dunn clarified. We all know her clarification is more or less accurate. There are two major differences between UConn and everybody else that she should account for - Geno as coach and the fact that he built on his original success like nobody else once UConn became UT's prime challenger. There have been a bunch of one hit wonders, like Purdue, A&M etc. Notre Dame has one NC and a very good program, but even that one NC came in a year when UConn was weakened by injury, as has been the case in a few other years where UConn was very strong and didn't win the whole thing. Baylor is a multiple winner, but it's a fair question to ask why they only did it once with Griner. Dunn needs to figure out why Geno was able to build and become the best and none of the others built so well on success. The talent pool is plenty deep these days even though UConn has a lot of great ones. UT still gets it share of AA's as does Duke and some others. There's no question most schools don't take women's hoops that seriously, but in fairness, I doubt UConn would have been much different absent Geno. The coaching talent pool seems pretty shallow and, as I've said before, how long does anyone think a major men's basketball program would keep coaches like Landers and Perreta nearly as long as they've been at their schools? The attitude, for better or worse, is different.

geordi

Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel
Reaction Score
Bovine Excrement! Having a dominant team is always better. That's why people want the Yankees in the world series. More people watch hoping they get knocked off. Let's hope we get worse and worse for the game over the next several years.

Reaction Score
I do think there is some truth to Dunn's statement. And I don't blame UConn for it.

Baylor on paper should have dominated Louisville like we did last year yet didn't. LSU never broke 50 points in their Final Four years even with 2 WCBB legends in their starting lineup, Augustus and Fowles. Coaching and preparation and toughness matters

The way certain top 10 teams have wilted so easily against us is puzzling and leads me to believe they are not being prepared properly in practice. Even short handed and hit with foul trouble, Maryland still wilted against us after showing they could go back and forth in the 1st half.

Notre Dame doesn't have that mental weakness and that's why the have competed with us. Obviously a well coached team that prepares their players in practices showed that you can play with AND beat UConn. It's time to start holding some of these coaches accountable.

Last edited:

Adesmar123

Can you say UConn? I knew you could!
Reaction Score
I think there needs to be a dispersal draft of UConn players. Its patently unfair that one team is so much better than the others. I heard that the Senate is looking into it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom